New Picard trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: New Picard trailer

Post by MrL1992 »

There's been talk of Q going around after some potential twitter teases. I would think that would be for an end of season stinger. Seems like a perfect hook.

January cannot come quick enough.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wait... if Brent Spiner is too old, then John de Lancie sure as hell is. And I'm a bit nervous about using the Q. That didn't work so well in Voyager. Even so, they could really just have Q claim he's "aged" up to Picard's level. It surely isn't beyond his capabilities. There can be explanations for this in verse. So we'll see.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm Wait... if Brent Spiner is too old, then John de Lancie sure as hell is. And I'm a bit nervous about using the Q. That didn't work so well in Voyager. Even so, they could really just have Q claim he's "aged" up to Picard's level. It surely isn't beyond his capabilities. There can be explanations for this in verse. So we'll see.
(Q appears as his younger TNG self) ''Why, Jean Luc, the last time I saw you was during that little nuisance with the time anomaly. And here we are again: You. An old man. Wasting away your days making wine and sitting behind a desk. Your success back then but a temporary respite to the slow grind of your own mortality. Here (changes his body to his current self) does this make you feel more comfortable?''

That's the beauty of Q. He can be anything he wants.

Seriously though, bringing Q back does carry potential. I will give STP this much: done well, this show has fantastic potential. The first true Trek in years. My faith levels are incredibly low, but I will be happy to be wrong.
Speaking of Q, I will be very disappointed if they do not reference Picard's Space Alzheimer's from ''All Good Things''. They don't need to do it immediately, just put it in the background and then build up to it. If Picard is in perfect health any rating I give will be automatically lower.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yup. And oh indeed, it does have potential. I could totally see Q turning that age to mock Picard.

Feel the same, tbh, dude. Borg feels cliched, and some of the stuff has me cringe, but this honestly feels like, "Okay, we're sorry we gave you a prequel for the reboot we said was for the Prime Timeline, but was not, here's the real deal."
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

How would you feel with a crossover with DISCO, clearspira? Especially since they seem to be heading to the 4th millennium in order to deal with the Federation's fall, and that might tie into the Picard series.

Wait, why did the Federation fall? It was just fine when we left them in Enterprise... :shock:
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:32 pm How would you feel with a crossover with DISCO, clearspira? Especially since they seem to be heading to the 4th millennium in order to deal with the Federation's fall, and that might tie into the Picard series.

Wait, why did the Federation fall? It was just fine when we left them in Enterprise... :shock:
Honestly its too early to tell. If STD season 3 is the reboot that we've all been waiting for, then it may be good. I've changed my opinion slightly on the fall of the Federation thing a bit since I wrote my previous comment. If it is a TEMPORARY thing, time travel or dimensional nonsense, then it could make for good stories I will concede. Andromeda and Farscape proved how it can be done. I just want the series to end with the dust clearing and the Federation restored as an inter-galactic power. Tbh I feel as if the Milky Way is done; its getting a bit silly now that they keep on finding new never found civilizations after hundreds of years of warp travel. Lets see the Andromeda galaxy: we know its populated, the Kelvins (who discovered that Scotty's booze was green) came from there.

Lets finally get transwarp up and running and leave the galaxy.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Like a big crossover "Yesterday's Enterprise." I won't lie, that would ROCK. And if they adhere to continuity from that time period, which I admit, I think they have clumsily tried to adhere to it in their own way, but Fuller and Kurtzman held them back, then this could be the premier sci-fi event of the season. Damn it, how DARE you idiots give me hope?! If you can't live up to it... :roll:

But anyway, yeah. I think Kurtzman is losing more and more control. Well, great. To hell with that. Let's make Star Trek great again. :P
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

clearspira wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 pm Honestly its too early to tell. If STD season 3 is the reboot that we've all been waiting for, then it may be good. I've changed my opinion slightly on the fall of the Federation thing a bit since I wrote my previous comment. If it is a TEMPORARY thing, time travel or dimensional nonsense, then it could make for good stories I will concede. Andromeda and Farscape proved how it can be done. I just want the series to end with the dust clearing and the Federation restored as an inter-galactic power.
I actually disagree, if they advertise a "Fall of the Federation" only to undo it I'd be pretty disappointed. To quote Romance of the Three Kingdoms, "The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide". A Federation lasting some ways into the 3000s would still have lasted longer than many countries on Earth. It strikes me more as arrogance or lack of imagination to say that the Federation or any of the other alpha quadrant powers will persist exactly as they are in the TOS and TNG eras indefinitely.

And I don't think that's against an optimistic spirit - like I said a Federation that makes it through 800+ years of cooperation, art, and science has still done great things. Plus whatever government(s) succeed the Federation don't have to all be dystopias.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's not the first time they've done false advertising in trying to play things both ways. That said, THE FEDERATION IS NOT COLLAPSING. Come on. They're either going to undo it, or have something like where the Federation is part of a larger interstellar group, like Earth Alliance is for the ISA on B5, or how the New Republic and Imperial Remnant were part of the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances.
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

You're probably right there, and while I prefer a one-and-done tale with a good conclusion rather than take-backsies, for a pop-culture icon like Star Trek, keeping the setting preserved so that future storytellers can work there can be argued to be valuable.