The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
AquaReggie
Officer

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by AquaReggie »

I have no problem with taking from Legends material - a good idea is a good idea, much like how DC backported Harley Quinn and certain details for other characters like Mr. Freeze into other works from the DCAU.

My disappointment is more that Dark Empire isn't generally considered the best of the EU, though far from the worst. "It's the same villain, but a clone" is rarely the makings of great storytelling unless you actually do something different with the character, like the Damsel of Distress clones in the web serial Ward.

I'll hold out a glimmer of hope that we get to see Rae Sloane in Episode 9, even though the EU material suggests she's no longer around. Sloane is one of the better characters of the NuEU.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I do if they never work on Legends again. They've released one older comic. Feels like damage-control pandering, tbh. Granted, it's a good first step. But let's see if they continue releasing Legends material. Yes, they burned a lot of bridges with me in 2014, and it's going to take a while to win me back. I know others here feel the same way.

Yeah, and it will probably be markedly inferior to the comic anyway, so... if it fails, people bitch over how awful Legends are, I can already see the online article headlines - "Hate Palpatine's resurrection? Blame Legends!" (same way there were those god-awful "Hate that the Klingons have twin junk? Blame Worf" idiot articles in DISCO Season 1's wake) - or if it's good, well... people might be inclined to check it out, but most won't know where it came from. So meh. One thing I hope for is that as more people get into the new EU, they check out older Legends material, since Luke is a completely different character there, and that's what's ultimately going to define this new canon whether Lucasfilm or Disney wants to play it safe or not.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The issue is that yes, they shoved Legends fans aside for a "wider" audience, ie got greedy. Spamming the market with a Star Wars movie nonstop for FOUR YEARS? Really? Look how well that worked out for them. And if they hadn't had their eyes filled up with dollar signs, they could have had time to work on Legends in between movies. Not anything big, just something to sustain most die-hard fans. It's not hard, really. I thought this up! What's their excuse? Why should I trust them given the piss-poor leadership they have shown so far past making Star Wars into a brainless action franchise that sacrifices the past for the present?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:06 am And Ruin Johnson. It's just fun nicknames, nothing more.
No you totally pwned them.
Tracking heartbeats is kids stuff.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 am(same way there were those god-awful "Hate that the Klingons have twin junk? Blame Worf" idiot articles in DISCO Season 1's wake)
I've missed these fortnightly reminders of Worf's dicks, welcome back.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's Season 1. You can easily dismiss it.

That said, if you're gonna be that way, then what's the point? I'll just take another hiatus.
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 am The issue is that yes, they shoved Legends fans aside for a "wider" audience, ie got greedy. Spamming the market with a Star Wars movie nonstop for FOUR YEARS? Really? Look how well that worked out for them. And if they hadn't had their eyes filled up with dollar signs, they could have had time to work on Legends in between movies. Not anything big, just something to sustain most die-hard fans. It's not hard, really. I thought this up! What's their excuse? Why should I trust them given the piss-poor leadership they have shown so far past making Star Wars into a brainless action franchise that sacrifices the past for the present?
Star Wars has always been an action franchise first. Whether or not you apply "brainless" as a perjorative to it is up to you, but considering how many millions have been made selling action figures and lightsabers to kids it's hardly a cerebral thriller.

Also I don't think releasing many Star Wars movies near each other (which I agree was a mistake) means a lack of time, per se, to work on Legends. Material was being produced even while Lucasfilm created the prequels.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I've still not seen anything to make me even remotely care about this movie, but I was somewhat surprised to see one of the spoilers that was leaked a while back confirmed in this trailer.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I would contend that. It was not a brainless action franchise any more than Star Trek was. It had depth that has escaped most Hollywood makers today who now ONLY care about "art" to maximize the bottom line. You can blame living in a world where we LET the Bayformers, the prequels, and the Die Hard sequels make money. As well as stuff like T2 and T3.
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

I never said it didn't have depth. Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of my favorite works of fiction. I enjoy the characters, the beautiful world they inhabit, and the execution of the story arc. That's all quite consistent with the fact that ATLA is an adventure/action show, and its perfectly legitimate to describe it that way.

I feel it's too simplistic to take this dualist view where a few works, from the 60-80s are held up as sublime, untouched art compared to a vacuous corporate product of today, especially when the latter part of that period was famous (in America at least) for materialism. I wouldn't call the The Last Jedi brainless, for instance. I just happen to dislike the steps it took to make its points, particularly OOC actions for Luke.

To return to the trailer itself - the shots of Star Destroyers rising from the ocean are absolutely gorgeous. And I think Lando's back?