The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by Admiral X »

Funny thing about the Star Destroyers rising from water in the trailer is that it instantly reminded me of a similar shot in Abrams Trek.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think there's plenty of depth in shows today. Just nothing from something mega-budgeted.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Admiral X wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:10 amFunny thing about the Star Destroyers rising from water in the trailer is that it instantly reminded me of a similar shot in Abrams Trek.
Enterprise rising up out of the rings? Yeah I can see that. All the ice shattering off of it reminded me of the Yamato launching from the sea bed in the Space Battleship Yamato live action remake a few years ago.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

AquaReggie wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:57 am This could easily be a case of trailers lying, but it looks like they're doing a sort've-adaptation of Dark Empire. If so, it really doubles down on the Original Trilogy characters achievements being undermined - not only was the Empire was able to get back up again and cripple the New Republic, but the big bad they killed to free the galaxy from tyranny wasn't really dead.
If the stakes are cyclical then it completely saps any interest I have. Nothing matters because the next film will invalidate it. Reminds me of Dragonball.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The whole metaphysical basis for the setting (EU or Legends) is that the same war grinds on and on for tens of thousands of years with permanent victory for either side impossible. Of course it's cyclical.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

I'm not going to patronise anything JJ Abrams is associated with. It could be the best film ever and I still wouldn't buy a ticket.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 am
Admiral X wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:10 amFunny thing about the Star Destroyers rising from water in the trailer is that it instantly reminded me of a similar shot in Abrams Trek.
Enterprise rising up out of the rings? Yeah I can see that. All the ice shattering off of it reminded me of the Yamato launching from the sea bed in the Space Battleship Yamato live action remake a few years ago.
It is great visual so no wonder it's being re-used in here as well. Then again J.J. Abrams does know what he is doing when it comes to visuals.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The whole metaphysical basis for the setting (EU or Legends) is that the same war grinds on and on for tens of thousands of years with permanent victory for either side impossible. Of course it's cyclical.
Except not. Until the Disney trilogy the Star Wars universe ended with Return of the Jedi aka peace. The war had every reason to be over.

The EU was never canon and thus irrelevant.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hey, don't default to old arguments. It had layers of canon, and that's probably still true now. Only difference is Disney is aggressively promoting the EU and trying to tie the whole universe together. It's where I sometimes think they care more about what they are working on now than what came before. But I admit, that's probably only my latent fandom anxieties. But the corporate mindset is restrictive, now more than ever. You wanna do something "fresh" that nevertheless has ties to the old and yet is marketed a certain way to make money. That's where you get their insulting words towards Legends while pandering to Legends fans, ironically. The corporate mindset limits them, and what they can say. I do find it weird you hate the old EU, clearspira. I mean, Luke was precisely who it seems like you wanted him to be. And again, who do you want to make Star Wars now? George? Need I remind you the massive hate he got, a huge chunk of it undeserved, among the small gems of legit criticism? Maybe that's just historical revision, but since both a big corporation and a singular vision failed, I say public domain time, baby! :D
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:46 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The whole metaphysical basis for the setting (EU or Legends) is that the same war grinds on and on for tens of thousands of years with permanent victory for either side impossible. Of course it's cyclical.
Except not. Until the Disney trilogy the Star Wars universe ended with Return of the Jedi aka peace. The war had every reason to be over.

The EU was never canon and thus irrelevant.
Well franchise is called Star WARS after all. Not Star PEACE. War needs to go on if story is to continue.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard