The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by Yukaphile »

Especially since it seems that with Jar Jar Abrams' recent entry to the "saga" and how the leaks might have had an element of truth all along, that yeah, he's stealing from Dark Empire. Whoop-dee-doo. When are we gonna get an actual Legends adaptation? Not taking ideas from Legends? The answer is never. So all Legends fans can live for is the slim hope that work will continue on their favorite story world.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Why would you want one anyway? Books > movies. It is known.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:29 am While I would come to regard Episode 1 as pretty unremarkable as I didn't think it had much of a payoff, I found myself really enjoying Episode 2's payoff with the Jedi battle. For everything people complained about the second one, I thought it was really compelling as a fantasy adventure story even with the pale romantic melodrama. Episode 1 has a similar payoff structure as Empire Strikes Back, though I think ESB worked better with its tragedy.
I mostly feel same way about that. Only that I don't really any see structural similarity between AotC and ESB. But yeah, I also find Episode 2 to be more enjoyable than Episode 1 and having actual payoff with that big battle.
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:37 am Especially since it seems that with Jar Jar Abrams' recent entry to the "saga" and how the leaks might have had an element of truth all along, that yeah, he's stealing from Dark Empire. Whoop-dee-doo. When are we gonna get an actual Legends adaptation? Not taking ideas from Legends? The answer is never. So all Legends fans can live for is the slim hope that work will continue on their favorite story world.
Nothing last forever so why should Legends be any different just because you happen to fanboy over it to point of toxic behavior. I mean you talk about how there is bound to be reboot while thinking that Legends would go on. Besides with post-Endor Legends (that you seem to want) adaptions there are problems. For one those use same characters as OT with them being too old to roles and one being dead needing there being replacement actors to be cast in roles as well as what story to pick because in Legends same era has so many different versions. Then part of Legends fans would be angry that they favorite version of events isn't one adapted because there is no way they can make everyone happy.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:50 am Why would you want one anyway? Books > movies. It is known.
Ehh, as I said I understand the enjoyment of seeing a work you enjoyed on paper realized on the big screen. But in a hypothetical alternate 2014 where a filmmaker is considering adapting Legends: by that time, either the sequence of events has be retconned, or the series has to start at least at New Jedi Order if not later. The aging actors simply will not fit into the roles they are supposed to in Thrawn or Darksaber.

The problem is that New Jedi Order would be a nightmare to adapt. You have to introduce the Solo children and their friends, most of whom were first characterized in (decent, to be fair) children's books. You have a saga that stretches over a dozen books from multiple characters POVs. And anything involving the Yuuzhan Vong would probably give films an R rating, given their Hellraiser-meets-Aztec-meets-biopunk schtick.

So yeah, at the time of the big change, I just don't think a full-scale adaptation would have been practical. So I understand the suits decision to go with a reboot.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, I've said over and over I want Star Wars, like Star Trek, to be put into the public domain. Copyright IP is now a shield to keep the decaying Hollywood going, like a corpse hooked up to a heart monitor. I think people on YouTube and Netflix could do a far better job in telling the story of Star Wars, whether it is adapting Legends or something else. But they need to make something back for their investment, which is time and money, and that is... money, because it makes the world go round. I'd trust independent creators over a big elitist Hollywood entity.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

What a mess. Everything I hear about Episode 9s production is that it's failing attempt to undo the damage done by Episode 8 and over the top action sequences. The only people interested on twitter were a bunch of Reylo shippers.

Star Wars has become the bastard offspring of Michael Bay Transformers and Twilight.

I don't know anyone even remotely excited for this movie. Before our game last night the RPG group last night was just talking about how it went all wrong.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hence more ripping from Legends without actually giving us Legends. Same way Abrams did with Force Awakens. And hence that update to an old Legends comic. Strikes me more as pandering, tbh. God help us all when they get to the KOTOR era...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Also, a friend I know posted on Discord how Disney and Lucasfilm are promoting this as "THE LAST STAR WARS STORY." Cue Jameson reaction. "Hahahahahahahaha, ehahehahehahehahahahahahaha... you serious?"
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:01 pm I mean, I've said over and over I want Star Wars, like Star Trek, to be put into the public domain. Copyright IP is now a shield to keep the decaying Hollywood going, like a corpse hooked up to a heart monitor.
I am in complete agreement. Corporate IP ownership is an anathema to me and a form of unearned rent that society in general could do without. Story-telling is one of the most important cultural touchstones in human history and it is being gutted by cynicism and greed.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Fixer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:43 pm Star Wars has become the bastard offspring of Michael Bay Transformers and Twilight.
:lol: I am so stealing this.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR