What director, old or new, would you feel most comfortable with adapting Legends to the big screen?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

What director, old or new, would you feel most comfortable with adapting Legends to the big screen?

Post by Yukaphile »

Hypothetically. For me, gonna say Steven Spielberg. I never read the book past the differences it had with the movie, but even knowing that, I will say I respect his approach to making Jurassic Park. There is a certain element of sacrifice to the action quota and spectacle you gotta meet, like how Hammond shooting down his own raptors was changed to the T-rex being the big damned hero, or how Muldoon never got a chance to take out raptors with a bazooka, but even so, I think it's overall a fine balance, unlike today, where the excesses are out of control.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: What director, old or new, would you feel most comfortable with adapting Legends to the big screen?

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:52 am I never read the book past the differences it had with the movie[...]
What does that mean, exactly?

My counter argument for Spielberg would be The Lost World. As an adaptation he straight up butchered it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: What director, old or new, would you feel most comfortable with adapting Legends to the big screen?

Post by Yukaphile »

Kinda the same with The Never-Ending Story, huh? Seems to be a pattern. If you adapt a book for artistic reasons, then please don't adapt other elements into a sequel. They never end well.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Christopher Nolan or Nicholas Meyer.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell yes, Nolan is awesome! Same with Meyer and his mountains of homework he does into the lore.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

I would agree with Nicholas Meyer.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:58 pm Kinda the same with The Never-Ending Story, huh? Seems to be a pattern. If you adapt a book for artistic reasons, then please don't adapt other elements into a sequel. They never end well.
The Lost World was a separate book. It bears almost no relation to the movie.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.