The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

fak news
..What mirror universe? ;/
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

:roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wanna say this, Winter... I think the only way you're getting Legends adaptations is when the Hollywood bubble bursts. It's become a rotten and decadent system that cannot sustain itself. Once Hollywood collapses, and the paradigm shifts, then maybe we'll see them on smaller platforms. Even so, it's worrisome given the illegal monopoly Disney has built up...

Another thing to note here, about people who dislike these movies the most. When I speak of the hate they get, I of course refer to Americans. We're going to see the movies less than ever, and we come away feeling burnt out. I'm seeing this everywhere. Hell, can somebody actually do the math for Solo's box-office returns when stacked against the American market, nowhere else? I'll bet you a majority of Americans did not go see it. In this sense, the boycott was effective, because it cut into their profits, even if it at best, slowed them down, did not stop them. So when I speak to the people who feel like me, I'm mostly referring to American centrists. That's consistent, dudes, period.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Okay, why are you so obsessed with seeing Hollywood fall? Sure, it would be nice if most stories were public domain but that wouldn't make every story better. Just because a great artist can come from anywhere doesn't mean everyone is a great artist.

Let's take a look at something that is Public domain, the Three Laws of Robotics. As far as I know, everyone can use these laws, word for word, in their stories without being sued meaning you can have a character say, "I programed my machine with the Three Laws" and be just fine. There's just one problem, most people will do just that, use the Three Laws and then be done with it. They can put no effort into this and just use the exact same laws, most of the people who have used it will have put no effort into the idea of it.

Here's another case of a series that is in public domain, Journey to the West. There has literally, and I know the correct used of that word, been thousands of stories told about Sun Wukong and his journey to get Tripitaka to the East and get the Budda scrolls.

But how many of those stories do people know about around the world? To date there has only been One "adaption" of JTTW that most people are familiar with and that's Dragon Ball and most people are more familiar with it's sequel series Dragon Ball Z. But how many people are familiar with the Jackie Chan and Jet Li JTTW story called The Forbidden Kingdom? That's a story that's a lose retelling of JTTW and yet most people don't know. Hell it's a movie that has a 6 or 5 minute fight scene between Chan and Li and most people don't know of it.

Let's also take a look at Star Wars Legends, as you yourself has said, Legends popularity is picking up steam with more and more people saying that want Legends back. Yet, it must be remembered that before Disney bought Star Wars Legends was suffering from severe Seasonal Rot with Legacy of the Force being only the latest in a long line of questionable quality of storytelling.

But people want it back because there were great stories but the more someone says you can't have something the more we want it. Like the song says "When the one thing you want is the only thing out of your reach."

Public Domain will not fix the problem that most people have created for Hollywood because the problem is, as I've said Several Times Now, We've Been Here Before! We've all been here, doing exactly this, Hollywood always goes through ups and downs, everyone always says Hollywood will soon die, that creativity is dead, there are no new aka good ideas anymore and then we get a bunch of new and creative stories and it's called a New Golden Age and we do this dance all over again.

I have heard the argument how everything would be better if everything was public domain but what does that really get us? Again, a great artist can come from anywhere but not everyone is a great artist.

To make Public Domain will solve few problems and will only create new ones, if not more, so nothing will have changed.
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

Winter wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:46 pm Let's also take a look at Star Wars Legends, as you yourself has said, Legends popularity is picking up steam with more and more people saying that want Legends back. Yet, it must be remembered that before Disney bought Star Wars Legends was suffering from severe Seasonal Rot with Legacy of the Force being only the latest in a long line of questionable quality of storytelling.
Winter, a major thank you - this (and the rest of the post) is mostly in line with my thoughts, and summarizes them nicely. Its true there has been some blanket Legends hate in the Star Wars fandom discourse, just like there's been some blanket NuCanon bashing, but I don't think legitimate criticism of either should be ignored.

Me? I read up through Fate of the Jedi and Millennium Falcon, (until I had less time and attention due to college). By the end of those novels, I was tiring of the direction the 2000s/2010s EU took. The shitstorm summoned when Chewbacca was killed off basically nixed any chance that the writers would kill or retire the original trilogy's Big 3, so the younger generation had to become expendable as victims or darksiders.

Then you had other issues like LOTF's bizarre decision to install Daala as galactic head of state, which FOTJ thankfully showed was a terrible idea, and the tepid writing of Dark Nest. When I've pointed out obviously silly things that slipped through the cracks of early Legends, its mostly in fun. Nothing about Trioculus and his minions bidding each other "DARK GREETINGS" impairs my enjoyment of The Last Command. But the last three major arcs in the book 'verse had problems, and I don't blame Disney/Lucasfilm for wanting to start over rather than be shackled to them. And so far? I thought Aftermath and Life Debt were pretty good, so I'll see what else comes out from NuCanon
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:45 amKinda. Sorta. Maybe.
And you complain that people ignore you.
Winter wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:46 pmBut how many of those stories do people know about around the world? To date there has only been One "adaption" of JTTW that most people are familiar with and that's Dragon Ball
Just FYI, practically any Australian over the age of about 35 will be familiar with the BBC dub of the Japanese 'Monkey' series. Not exactly the high point of faithful adaptations, but it's well loved here, and does tend to be a bit of a gateway drug to becoming familiar with Journey to the West generally.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 pm Just FYI, practically any Australian over the age of about 35 will be familiar with the BBC dub of the Japanese 'Monkey' series. Not exactly the high point of faithful adaptations, but it's well loved here, and does tend to be a bit of a gateway drug to becoming familiar with Journey to the West generally.
Haven't seen that one, I'll check it out when I can. :)
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Winter wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:31 pm
MissKittyFantastico wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 pm Just FYI, practically any Australian over the age of about 35 will be familiar with the BBC dub of the Japanese 'Monkey' series. Not exactly the high point of faithful adaptations, but it's well loved here, and does tend to be a bit of a gateway drug to becoming familiar with Journey to the West generally.
Haven't seen that one, I'll check it out when I can. :)
Its pretty well known in Britain too among those of a certain age.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They're only gonna bring back KOTOR first. Not anything post-Endor. If anything, they're probably going to retcon everything after a certain point, so Legends is "back," but not really.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What I want is Creative Commons for the post-Endor period, but they are just so damned greedy, that's not gonna happen. If anything, as I said, they're going to retcon it. Remove the Yuuzhan Vong, remove Young Jedi Knights, and just start it all over with Thrawn, because it's the same old, same old. So Winter, you are likely to get the Thrawn story you want. But anything past that? SUCKS TO BE YOU! And my favorite post-Endor story is Young Jedi Knights. That's going to be retconned.

Look at these independent creators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k

11 million views! I think if they had the necessary support, like with Creative Commons, they could tell a better story than anything Lucasfilm does today.