The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

Post by CmdrKing »

I watched the third season of Rebels finally about a week ago (need to do the rest of season 4 this weekend sometime) and he’s a pretty good example of how I tend to think of the old EU being incorporated into the new canon.

It’s an adaptation, and on average pretty good at it.

Thrawn in his original work is basically unstoppable, but as he’s the “face” of the Empire in that time he *has* to be. Rebels does a good job of showing him during the Empire’s prime: he outranks everyone else on scene, but is also a way to present a different *kind* of threat than most of the Empire because he’s able to deduce who his opponents are in a given situation and work to thwart their biggest advantage, unpredictability. He’s a threat due to more than the seemingly inexhaustible resources of the empire, but always had the option of overwhelming force.

Honestly in terms of capturing the essence of Thrawn during the Empire’s prime, I think Rebels does it better than TIE Fighter, and I love TIE Fighter.

Different due to a different role, and different due to the needs of the medium, but very definitely Thrawn.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

CmdrKing wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 am Thrawn in his original work is basically unstoppable, but as he’s the “face” of the Empire in that time he *has* to be. Rebels does a good job of showing him during the Empire’s prime: he outranks everyone else on scene, but is also a way to present a different *kind* of threat than most of the Empire because he’s able to deduce who his opponents are in a given situation and work to thwart their biggest advantage, unpredictability. He’s a threat due to more than the seemingly inexhaustible resources of the empire, but always had the option of overwhelming force.
That is indeed what makes Rebels take on Thrawn so strong character as well as fact that he had insight to see what Imperial navy was lacking and trying to fix that with his TIE Defender project. Image alternative time line were that project was successfully completed giving Empire edge and increasing moral of they pilots. I mean Darth Vader himself was behind Thrawn when it comes to TIE Defender project as they agreed on it as well as Death Star being waste of resources and bad idea.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The entire fate of the galaxy, changed by one bad split-second decision (which I don't want to spoil). For want of a nail...

Also, they gave him a really cool organ theme.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Grievous
Redshirt

Post by Grievous »

The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead
Good.
Anyway back to the Cheese...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You're really failing to see my larger point. It is the poor leadership of those in charge, their questionable motives, their narrow approach, and how they're essentially burning bridges and encouraging the worst among our fandom with the way they handle this. Trust me, any reevaluation of Legends Mecha82 talks about is that it's now a good alternative to Last Jedi. But people still act elitist towards the post-Endor era and the largest fandom prejudice comes toward that era. The poor language is proof of that, because it's emphasizing value on something over another, and it's not about art, it's about profit. People still don't "like" Legends and like those in charge, they cherry-pick as they go. Now it seems with the severe blowback, they might be changing that leadership policy. I hope they do. But it doesn't change the inherent flaws and mistakes they've already made. With most fans of a certain demographic, it was Last Jedi. With me, it was what they did in 2014. Legends is a niche of a niche as you can get and in my view, one of the few nerd communities left. I dream of more creative freedom to amateur artists, and I sincerely think if certain elements of Star Wars, like Legends, were put into Creative Commons (not public domain, mind you, there's a difference, look it up) then you'd see not only individual YouTubers, but also large rival companies making movies or even TV adaptations. Conflict encourages growth. And that's quality control. But they don't want that because they wanna hedge their bets and crush competitors, whether small or big-time. Disney has been slowly and greedily building up a monopoly over the last ten years, and it's smothering all creativity out of this franchise. As Winter has noted, the difference between how the MCU handled their material and how Lucasfilm does is night and day. One even has to wonder if they simply bought Pixar and Marvel just to get their hands on Star Wars. I know there's no proof to that, but who knows? Or hell, take Toei. They treat their non-canon material with more respect. It's just not comparable at all.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

We're kind of back to the "have you actually watched or read any of it?" question you keep dodging. Because it sure sounds like you're hating on the quality of something you've gone out of your way to know nothing about, because it's not exactly like Legends. Which you've also apparently read very little of. Other than KOTOR 2 the only thing I've ever seen you cite directly is the RotS novelisation, which is in both canons anyway.

So as Blackadder put it, "what you're telling me is that something you've never seen is slightly less blue than something else you've never seen."

As for the corporate and IP stuff... that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

I feel like I shouldn't even bother, but once again:

* You can't really make a blanket statement like "people don't like Legends" because there are as many opinions as there are forums and comment sections. I've seen places on the net that make fun of it, and I've seen places on the net that worship it to the point of nostalgia goggles. It depends on where you go.
* Legends references aren't "pandering" or "emphasizing value on something over another" or "cherrypicking". Most comic nerds I know light up when they see a superhero movie make a reference to the comics, they don't see it as an insult. The thinking here seems to be that everything from Legends should be canon, because if some stuff is recanonized but others isn't, it's somehow insulting? Come one, not only does every long running franchise have continuity changes, but Legends itself contradicted or retconned other Legends stories. That all or nothing attitude is ridiculous. It's like if a writer wanted to do a Superman story that homages Action Comics #1, and was told "No, that's cherry picking, you have to include a tribute to the "Superman says you can Slap a Jap" comic too for fairness".
* Making Star Wars "owned by the fans" wouldn't magically make everything better.