The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by hammerofglass »

Weird, I almost never see ads when I have one on. uBlock on Firefox.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:23 pm One thing I don't understand. Why is there such severe marketing ads for The Mandalorian online? Mecha82 has consistently argued that who you see online is not who you see IRL.
That's not really what I have meant. It's more like not taking people that claim things on face value because of biases. If you don't like something of course you claim negative things in hope that you can influence opinions of other people to your side as well as seek confirmation to those biases and people tend to gravitate towards those that do that.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Okay then. Online is in some ways more honest because it drops a lot of pretense, so past the obvious trolls looking to start a fight, it is about what we are like when pretense is dropped, assuming you are not talking to a programmed bot. And yet, even the deliberate trolling might be honest in some ways. Especially if that person has a psychological need to start fights or does so out of stress relief.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Second episode was pretty good and I liked getting a deeper look into the Jawas as these nasty, opportunistic scavengers. We had some pretty decent action, but the Mandalorian himself hasn't really gotten much development yet, but that will hopefully change soon.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:45 pm Okay then. Online is in some ways more honest because it drops a lot of pretense, so past the obvious trolls looking to start a fight, it is about what we are like when pretense is dropped, assuming you are not talking to a programmed bot. And yet, even the deliberate trolling might be honest in some ways. Especially if that person has a psychological need to start fights or does so out of stress relief.
I'm a subscriber to the GIFT theory of internet interaction personally. It's why I don't use a pseudonym.

Admittedly I'd probably be more reluctant to do so if my name wasn't so generic.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

I thought the first episode was decent, a 6/10. But the 2nd episode gets a 3/10 from me. It was a filler episode. The whole "get the ship parts" bit was nothing but a distraction from the main storyine, and in an eight episode series, there should NOT be filler. NOT EVER!

I just get the feeling Disney is once again lowballing us like they did with rebels being 90% filler with very little story content that mattered or was worth while. I don't care how many easter eggs there are in this series, Disney is once again being lazy AF trying to get maximum rewards with minimum effort.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

MyUserName wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 pm I thought the first episode was decent, a 6/10. But the 2nd episode gets a 3/10 from me. It was a filler episode. The whole "get the ship parts" bit was nothing but a distraction from the main storyine, and in an eight episode series, there should NOT be filler. NOT EVER!

I just get the feeling Disney is once again lowballing us like they did with rebels being 90% filler with very little story content that mattered or was worth while. I don't care how many easter eggs there are in this series, Disney is once again being lazy AF trying to get maximum rewards with minimum effort.
They'll have about 2 movies worth of screen time, they'll be fine. I feel like people are too quick to throw around the filler label. Sure you could have had him get in his ship and take off with no issues, but this way we got some good action, got to explore the Jawas a bit more, some good humor, learned that baby Yoda can use the force, and got more on Nick Nolte's character.

If anything this episode reminded me of a tabletop RPG. "As you approach your ship you see a bunch of Jawas taking it apart. What do you do?" "Those rats, I shoot them!" One failed chase sequence later, and they decide to do the diplomatic option. The Mando has a low charisma score and rolls pretty badly, but Nick Nolte succeeds his speech check and they get assigned a quest to steal treasure from a nearby beast.
Zargon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm
So far....well, we have not see any of the Poloticaly Correct Disney stuff. The actors are a mix of colors...and there is one female. We have an evil white guy...maybe. And so far we don't have Z'oee the little girl ''best sharp shooter in the universe'' or anything like that.....but time will tell.
:roll:
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought the second episode was cute.

I don't think it's bad to attempt to rate each episode, but I personally want to keep in mind that serial narratives are more of a long game.

Funny though, I was expecting stiff and lizardy Boba Fett, but this guy is kinda funky. Baby [spoiler] is cute too.
..What mirror universe?
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

I might have figured out the Social Justice ''the Force is Feminist":

So we a ''prequel" a baby force semi god like Yoda. It's established and accepted Star Wars cannon, especially by the white males that Yoda is one of the top most powerful Force uses of all time.

The little baby.....is a GIRL. Lets call her Yoga. So Yoga is now the most powerful Force user in the universe...as she is a girl.

But wait...there is more. In 30-40 years, baby Yoga will be (roughly) tween Yoga. So Yoga can be in all the new and current Star Wars movies. They just need a short girl actress, give her some pointy ears, and wow: you have the most powerful girl Jedi demigod Mary Sue of all time.

And see because the white guys will accept the the yoda people are all powerful force uses' and they will accept ''the Mandalorian as a cool guy like space western"....so they ''have" to accept girl Yoga.

Wow...what a plan!
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

So Zargon I see that you are still going on and on spreading that BS that only you and other alt right nut cases actually believe in while rest of us are too smart to take that seriously. Or you and your ilk in that matter.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard