Paramount Taps Noah Hawley to Write and Direct the fourth Kelvin movie

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Paramount Taps Noah Hawley to Write and Direct the fourth Kelvin movie

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 am
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:31 am
clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:20 am Trek 12 was a critical and commercial failure. Trek 13 faired better, but still by no means what the powers that be expected. The end result being that Trek 14 could not secure the required funding because too few Suits had any faith left in it.
"Into Darkness" is the highest grossing Star Trek film.
It is awful and soured the audience to 13, which did not perform as well as it should have because it was/is a good movie.
Depends on how you look at it. According to Wiki, it had a budget of 190 million and made back 467 million. A great success right? Except that the marketing budget is separate to that figure, and is often assumed to be equivalent to at least half that on top for a major release. So the correct cost would have been something like 290 million. That BTW is often why films are said to bomb even if they make back hundreds of millions.

Getting back 467 million back suddenly does not look that high, especially for a major release with a major name like Star Trek.
He's not saying that it's a big success, he's saying that it's the strongest performing of all the three movies.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Is it with Kirk? Same actors? Because we got Star Wars around. They can't out-action that. So they need to sit down and FOCUS on a good story. I still insist Season 1 of DISCO (the STD) was made with the reboots in mind, but they obviously toned that down severely for Season 2. So, good on them. In any case, it's just... ugh. They burned so many bridges with STID, and you can't blame Star Wars for that. Blame poor writing. I hate the kind of dishonesty that goes with this... salesman approach to movies. I met somebody on Discord who doesn't hate Wrath of Khan, just feels like I do towards T2. That it is overrated. And admittedly he has a few points. Like Kirk not bringing up the shields. That's just pure plot contrivance.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
bull705
Redshirt

Post by bull705 »

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:20 am Quick recap of what we know to date regarding why Trek 14 was originally cancelled:

Chris Pine was more or less a nobody when first cast to be Kirk. Now he is a megastar and wanted a salary to match it. He backed out of Trek 14 when they refused to up his salary. No Kirk, no film. This was in part because of...

Trek 12 was a critical and commercial failure. Trek 13 faired better, but still by no means what the powers that be expected. The end result being that Trek 14 could not secure the required funding because too few Suits had any faith left in it.

IF these two hurdles are mounted, then MAYBE we will have Trek 14. But it is going to be a huge risk and frankly I think cold feet are a real possibility. I also think that it depends greatly on the success of the Picard series and the success of Star Wars 9 given how this film shares the same production company.
I think you got part of the story wrong. Chris Pine was contractually obligated to be paid a certain salary for a fourth appearance as Kirk. Paramount asked him to take a pay cut since ST:Beyond underperformed.He refused.Zachary Quinto might also have had the same deal as Spock. Chris Hensworth was offered lower than his current value and said no to returning as Papa Kirk.

Paramount has no one to blame but themselves. Into Darkness was a garbage remake of Wrath of Khan which is to be expected when you youy hire a corporate hack (Kurtzman) and an arrogant conspiracy theorist (orci) to write your scripts.Nobody wanted to see Beyond because neither classic fans or Kelvin fans trusted in the brand
Chaltab
Redshirt

Post by Chaltab »

I mean it seems like they've at least provisionally learned their lesson seeing as they got someone with a distinct and generally more cerebral style to do this new one, at least if what I've seen of Legion is anything to go by. Star Trek 14 could be a total mindfuck which I'd be all there for.

I think the wheels for this started spinning again at least in part because the success of Discovery's second season and buzz for Picard has proven that there is a demand for Star Trek that isn't just a brainless action movie.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Haven't watched LEGION, but FARGO is one of the best television shows of this decade as far as I'm concerned, and him being attached to a STAR TREK project has my interest.

However, I would have preferred CBS give him a mini-series or something, but beggars can't be choosers.