The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Wow the 3rd episode has like 5 minutes of credits.

I liked it in terms of character development. Seems like it gave the Mandalorians overall a better image and established the tone I think for where the show is going.
..What mirror universe?
kingofmadcows
Redshirt

Post by kingofmadcows »

Ron Howard didn't really make Solo. Phil Lord and Chris Miller had almost completed the film by the time Howard was brought in. He had the impossible task of reshooting a majority of the film and trying to make it work.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Solo wasn't supposed to be a tentpole, it just went so massively overbudget (the number I heard was $100 million) that it ended up needing that kind of revenue to break even.

Although given Hollywood accounting practices, I'm frankly a bit suspicious about every part of that.

I should have said "The Skywalker films", honestly. The quality of Solo and Rogue One is much higher.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:21 amI should have said "The Skywalker films", honestly. The quality of Solo and Rogue One is much higher.
Just between you and me I knew that this is what you meant.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:47 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:21 amI should have said "The Skywalker films", honestly. The quality of Solo and Rogue One is much higher.
Just between you and me I knew that this is what you meant.
I figured, just too late to edit the original.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:21 am Solo wasn't supposed to be a tentpole, it just went so massively overbudget (the number I heard was $100 million) that it ended up needing that kind of revenue to break even.

Although given Hollywood accounting practices, I'm frankly a bit suspicious about every part of that.

I should have said "The Skywalker films", honestly. The quality of Solo and Rogue One is much higher.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2485434/what-if-jj-abrams-directed-the-entire-star-wars-sequel-trilogy

https://www.slashfilm.com/colin-trevorrow-rise-of-skywalker/

The two things that stand out to me:

J. J. Abrams: I felt the biggest surprise was how dark Luke was. That was the thing that I thought: ‘Oh, that was unexpected.’

Colin Trevorrow: “Bringing back the Emperor was an idea JJ brought to the table when he came on board. It’s honestly something I never considered. I commend him for it. This was a tough story to unlock, and he found the key.”

A recent review of 'Knives Out' described Rian Johnson as talented, but not as smart as he thinks he is and I honestly think that is right and is a contributing factor to the current state of affairs with the Skywalker Saga. I am pretty Sure LFL had a broad idea of where to go (Who lives who dies etc) but they left the details of that up to each individual writer/director. That could've worked if you had a strong singular voice behind it all (Like in the OT) ensuring everything stayed consistent and made sense, but that is not what happened. KK had kind of a hands off approach (considering she didn't step into deal with both Rogue One and Solo until near the end for both projects). So with that lack of a detailed plan, a hands off approach and a Film maker who thought them self more clever than they really are...you get 'The Last Jedi' and now JJ Abrams scrambling to work some kind of satisfying ending in 'The Rise of Skywalker' out of the mess RJ left at the end of his film.

All right, enough about TLJ and the state of the Skywalker saga. We'll soon see the end of it and be able to discus the entire thing...so for now 'I have spoken.'

Onto the Mandalorian
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:13 am Wow the 3rd episode has like 5 minutes of credits.

I liked it in terms of character development. Seems like it gave the Mandalorians overall a better image and established the tone I think for where the show is going.
Agreed.

Here are the synopsis for the upcoming episodes

Episode 4: The Mandalorian teams up with an ex-soldier to protect a village from raiders.
Episode 5: The Mandalorian helps a rookie bounty hunter who is in over his head.
Episode 6: The Mandalorian joins a crew of mercenaries on a dangerous mission.

If baby Yoda remains a major figure in all this I'd call the Mandalorian a mix of 'Firefly' and 'Lone Wolf and Cub'.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Funny, in Linkara's stream he was just talking about how TLJ takes over any discussion about Star Wars. This thread (and pretty much any Star Wars thread on this forum) proves him right.

Anyways, The Mandalorian. I think a lot of people (including me) assumed all the side characters who appeared in the trailers and promo materials would be permanent fixtures on the show. But from what we've seen so far and from those upcoming synopses, it seems like the Mando will team up with these people for an episode or two and then go their separate ways. I'm not opposed to the Mando starting a crew, but I like this option too. The lone wanderer and all that. (Which I guess means baby yoda is Dogmeat?)

Since it sounds like the Mando is doing other jobs now, they're definitely going to need to keep things balanced for baby yoda. On the one hand its an adorable fan favorite, they'll want to keep it as a part of the show and not just shove it into a closet on the RazorCrest for safekeeping. On the other hand, we don't want it to turn into The Baby Yoda Show Co Starring The Mandalorian.

A good formula would be for the Mando to be doing something directly involving baby yoda, only to get distracted. We've already had him trying to leave a planet with the child only to have his ship disassembled by Jawas. Maybe he'll be trying to find a save haven for the kid, only for a rival bounty hunter to damage his ship trying to steal it. Or he'll be trying to find info on what species it is, land next to a village with a raider problem, and his conscious will force him to help them out. Lots of good opportunities.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

One thing I'm astonished by is that we haven't gotten a live-action Hondo in this series yet. Disney seems bound and determined to put him in everything Star Wars other than the films.

Plus the gang in the first episode is really blatantly his old crew, and I'm pretty sure the base was supposed to be the one he was opperating out of in the Boba Fett episodes of The Clone Wars.
kingofmadcows
Redshirt

Post by kingofmadcows »

Mandalorian reminds me quite a bit of the Mad Max films, especially in the way that it builds its world through action and imagery instead of exposition. It's not quite as masterfully done as the Mad Max films, especially Fury Road, but I appreciate the way they develop the world simply by showing you the characters going about their business and letting you figure things out through context.

The way they show you the culture and history of the Mandalorians is reminiscent of how George Miller simply showed you how Immortan Joe's society worked without ever having any character explain anything.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:18 pm One thing I'm astonished by is that we haven't gotten a live-action Hondo in this series yet. Disney seems bound and determined to put him in everything Star Wars other than the films.

Plus the gang in the first episode is really blatantly his old crew, and I'm pretty sure the base was supposed to be the one he was opperating out of in the Boba Fett episodes of The Clone Wars.
Live action Hondo eh? That would be great. I mean who doesn't like Hondo and if they get his VA to play him in liv action then that's even better.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard