There is an Audio Drama adaptation of Dark Empire but not the Thrawn Trilogy.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: There is an Audio Drama adaptation of Dark Empire but not the Thrawn Trilogy.

Post by hammerofglass »

It's one voice actor reading the book out loud. That's what an audiobook is.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: There is an Audio Drama adaptation of Dark Empire but not the Thrawn Trilogy.

Post by Yukaphile »

What is the plot of The Mandalorian? I guarantee you it ties into what fans expect of Star Wars in some ways. And Last Jedi was experimental too. Look how fans tore that to pieces? Lucas, by contrast, refused to let fan or critical feedback influence his artistic vision, and that filtered down even into the older EU.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

No TLJ was ESB in reverse, The Mandalorian is way more experimental by comparison.
Call me KuudereKun
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

If anything, I'd argue it was trying to be KOTOR 2. But it doesn't change the fact it did something new. KOTOR 2 was, as far as I know, the only time it was ever discussed the Jedi's failures in that depth.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

No it did not do a single thing new, it was as old as it gets.
Call me KuudereKun
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Turning Luke into a bitter old hermit? Maybe we've seen that from other characters, but not him.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

That is exactly what mimicking the prior movies without regard for context is. The whole point of Luke's story is that he doesn't wind up like Obi-Wan and Yoda.
Call me KuudereKun
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'd agree, of course, but if you're gonna create a new continuity (even if those in charge insist that's not the case, Legends does not exist anymore), then you damned well better do something new. I like that Luke is now completely different. It's a more honest take on, say, what they did to Thrawn in Legends vs. Rebels, or Barriss Offee from the the Lucas era to Dave Filoni's TCW.
JM24
Redshirt

Post by JM24 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:41 pm My curiosity about the old EU has increased, I know a lot of the gist of what happened. Thing is I don't feel like actually reading this stuff, I like my Star Wars to be mediums tangible enough to at least require acting.
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this, they've only managed to make the first three chapters of Heir of the Empire. Chapter 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRbUd9xil0
Last edited by JM24 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... I have... in other posts... :(