Where is the logic in this?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
AquaReggie
Officer

Re: Where is the logic in this?

Post by AquaReggie »

One of my big complaints was that the movie was so eager to explain where Han got his name, his ship, even his frickin' dice... but kept 90% of his relationship development with Chewbacca within the first third. To me, that should have been the core of the movie.

Also as stated above, comparing Solo to Young Obi-Wan in the prequels is a false dichotomy. The Prequel Trilogy wasn't Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story, it was an origin story for Vader and the Galactic Empire.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I had meant merely in terms of Mecha82's comments as to how most would never accept a Han Solo that is not Harrison Ford. And yet there is the deepfaking technology to consider too, most prominent in Rogue One.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think there's a combination of writing, directing, and acting chops that would please audiences. It's not like reverse star power though.
Power laces... alright.
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am I had meant merely in terms of Mecha82's comments as to how most would never accept a Han Solo that is not Harrison Ford. And yet there is the deepfaking technology to consider too, most prominent in Rogue One.
We apparently came away from Rogue One with very different estimations of the deepfake's effectiveness then. A lot of people, me included, found the CG Tarkin and Leia to be uncanny, and that was with seconds of screentime. An entire film starring those characters or similar recreations? I'd much rather we got an appealing 2D or 3D animated film that wasn't trying for photorealism, a la Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Clone Wars. Likely the technology will mature to a point where its truly indistinguishable from reality within the next few years, but that wasn't where we were at the time.

I know you're eager to blame Disney for every possible thing, but DC got flak for shoddily covering up a mustache with CG - if a Solo movie was going to be made in the 2010s, casting an actual actor and working to convince the audience that this was Han was the right move. This just wasn't (in my opinion) a great or even worthwhile movie that justified its creation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Then you don't understand me at all. My criticism has always been that the new canon is coming at the expense of the older EU and Kennedy's words encourage bullying that goes against what George himself had said. The EU absolutely had oversight from George, and while it wasn't part of the six movies, technically neither was TCW, and he considered the EU a parallel universe. Separate but equally valid. Not the attitude to those in charge now, if you look at stuff the Story Group says, how there is no possible existence of parallel universes. So in essence, everything in the previous material is being superseded, and of course it's gonna cause hard feelings. It's a tired rehash, but one that is replacing the older stuff. And it's where you get the accusations of political motives too. How Rogue One is just a gender-swapped Dark Forces. Rey is a gender-swapped Luke. I'd be more than willing to accept this as an alternate universe (which would make it much easier to accept, say, a black woman Revan, and I think it would for many other fans too) if those in charge did too. But no, that's where you get the "kill the past" angle they seem to be going for.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

So in other words, it's just petty bitterness towards them for doing something that you don't agree with so because of that you blame them from everything. And people wonder why I can't stand Legends fandom anymore.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's NOT petty bitterness if they won't treat the older EU as a parallel universe, which even George himself did, and want to ensure THIS material supersedes the older one. They are hypocrites who said they needed "creative freedom," that's why they nuked the EU, and then just wound up copying a lot of what it did anyway. I don't follow the MCU, but from all accounts, they treated the source material with respect. In Lucasfilm they just haphazardly adapt the older source material they said they do not have. Like how Rogue One is a gender-swapped Dark Forces merged with the Death Star novel. Plus their habit to both blame and praise George to get themselves out of jam and deflect criticism is irritating. And it's not even like these are invalid arguments. It's also a good business idea to regards Legends as a parallel universe so they can keep telling stories there. I know Legends fandom doesn't even put a dent into the numbers of the popcorn-movie audience, but it's not a small number of people either. And I have many ideas for Legends stories I would tell that would NOT come at the expense of the new stuff. You know what? You're the winning side. Your new material THAT YOU LOVE won. It's still being worked on, replacing the older stuff, so your smug condescension is even worse. You're frankly behaving every bit like the popcorn-movie crowd sneering at the nerds to "get a life." Why does Star Trek demand so much technical scrutiny while fans shrug it off for Star Wars? Poor Winter really wants Legends adaptations, and it won't happen, only from fan projects. This amounts to corporate theft.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I could genuinely leave Star Wars alone if they just didn't keep ripping off the source material they said they don't have and did something new. It's why I've praised Last Jedi, for offering a completely alternative take on Luke. People like clearspira may bitch, but for me, it's the justification for the entire reboot. And what did they do? In the next movie, to try and make up for that, they ripped off Dark Empire. And now here come the KOTOR games. Their claims to "creative freedom" are LIES. They lied to your face. Which is how many normies no doubt feel after Last Jedi with the previous two movies they had gone to see. In my mind, the few new elements are too far and few in between to justify the revisions to the older material. Unless they would just treat Legends as a parallel timeline. And they do not. Chee absolutely says there can be no alternate universes.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Btw, Legends fandom CAN like the new material. I know, I've talked to MANY of them. That is because they treat the newer stuff as a parallel timeline, standing in the shadow of what came before, when it's the opposite from Lucasfilm. The older stuff is standing in the shadow of THIS because there ARE NO PARALLEL TIMELINES. That's just too much of a "hokey sci-fi concept" for the "escapist space fantasy" crowd. And hell, I think George Lucas's story treatments would have been amazing, if realized properly. Yes, I said that. I loved midi-chlorians. And I don't think most fans hated it either, they simply don't have the courage to stand up to the massive backlash, and so let others influence them.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think you're bending over backwards a bit when you're stressing about the implications of whether a parallel universe exists that was never gonna touch the main stories anyway.

I mean if you really wanted to you could still make a case that every piece of work in fiction is a different universe respective of each other.
Power laces... alright.