Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by J!! »

chaos42 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 am i just want to know what exactly the janeway protocal is exactly, im talking about the exact listing of what to do because i have to know WHY are children being ejected into space?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(countermeasure)
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm
J!! wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:17 pm I'd almost think whoever wrote that was an SFdebris fan. Except in that case, it would've been the Picard Protocall.
It's entirely possible because the writer is the Twitter account writer of the Season 8 TNG Parody account and deeply plugged into the fandom.
Poor Chuck. He's lamented the difficulty of reviewing comedy so many times, and now he's gonna have to cover something that might well be cribbing from his own joke book.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

J!! wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:01 am
chaos42 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 am i just want to know what exactly the janeway protocal is exactly, im talking about the exact listing of what to do because i have to know WHY are children being ejected into space?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(countermeasure)
you think janeway would deploy children as chaff??????????????????????????
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

God I love this. I've watched all three episodes, and let me just say this is the best of the nu-Treks. It's got the tone dead on. I love when the one guy in Engineering was trying out other disciplines, and everyone was congratulating him when he moved on from their department for "trying to find what was right for him." It's actually got voluntary implants. It's got main characters who have flaws, but are genuinely trying to do the right thing most of the time. I know tons about the crew, everyone has personality (even if it's sometimes a bit one note). The first episode was a bit rough, but the next two were both brilliant.

The entire idea of "Second Contact" is ripe for comedy. It's the perfect mix. It's a situation that's mostly going to be boring and routine, but really almost anything could happen - just most of the time it won't. Freed from the trope of the crew "discovering something new", they can just show us something new and then do something with it.

Oh and how did they manage to do a much better version of the entire Captain Jellico thing without making Starfleet look like assholes? That was fucking brilliant. The fact the command staff held themselves to the same standards, and were suffering the same way, just perfectly Starfleet.

Fuck, why is it the best two Star Trek shows on the air are two comedy shows, and they're both cheaper than the flagship Discovery/Picard shit? Gah!
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hey are all the youtube videoes about their ratings correct?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:45 pm Hey are all the youtube videoes about their ratings correct?
It's on Youtube, so probably not.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Welp, episode 3 was a letdown. Granted, seeing Mainer get owned for once was satisfying, but the episode once again suffers from trying to force comedy by throwing too much crap at you. Wood boners, crystal people, crystal ships, crystal graffiti (?), everyone is overworked because breaks are now banned or something and the "important" aesop that a ship full of kindergardeners that do whatever they want can only work properly if they're allowed to do whatever they want because they can't be arsed to adapt to their working environment. I guess when working with antimatter in the emptiness of space, and you're light years away from any habitable planet/colony/station, safety is for losers and "people who like being told what to do". And I don't get the feeling that the writers were going for some reverse psychology bullshit, since that would require something to back that up, and nothing happened.
But none of that actually bothers me that much. What gets annoying however, is how pretty much every main character that happens to be a black woman is either a self-entitled jerk who thinks she's better than others, that has family issues, mistreats their kids or the kid mistreats the mom, or said black woman has a kid that is the self-entitled jerk, the black woman has anger issues, screams a lot at everybody. No other character in NuTrek has all these "qualities". Is this is the only type of black woman that the NuTrek writers can put on screen? All that's missing is "Ah hell naw", "You two motherfuckers need Jesus", "Oh No You Didn't!", "Uh! Uh!", having the character's head slide left and right while she talks and all the Sassy Black Woman trope have been checked. For now.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mabus wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:07 pm Welp, episode 3 was a letdown. Granted, seeing Mainer get owned for once was satisfying, but the episode once again suffers from trying to force comedy by throwing too much crap at you. Wood boners, crystal people, crystal ships, crystal graffiti (?), everyone is overworked because breaks are now banned or something and the "important" aesop that a ship full of kindergardeners that do whatever they want can only work properly if they're allowed to do whatever they want because they can't be arsed to adapt to their working environment.
Oddly, Season 1 and 2 TNG would have done that aesop seriously.

Picard: Starfleet is not a military and we do not wear costumes! We have evolved past things like schedules and discipline to do work because we want to!
But none of that actually bothers me that much. What gets annoying however, is how pretty much every main character that happens to be a black woman is either a self-entitled jerk who thinks she's better than others, that has family issues, mistreats their kids or the kid mistreats the mom, or said black woman has a kid that is the self-entitled jerk, the black woman has anger issues, screams a lot at everybody.
You mean....the mother and daughter? I mean, you're complaining about them being too similar.
Zefram Mann
Redshirt

Post by Zefram Mann »

Saw the first three eps. Overall liked it. Mariner is a bit hard to like for me. She feels a lot like "Rick Sanchez: The Teenage Years", and boy do I not like Rick Sanchez (post season 1). Boimler is the rules-obsessed butt-monkey and that's certainly a trope that hasn't been beaten into the ground. Sam and D'Vana are cute. I like the way Sam's prosthetic eye's digital lcd pupil mimics the real one. The bridge crew is this fun mix of dysfunctional idiots that are still strangely competent in their own ways, just enough that you can still accept Starfleet trusting them with a ship.

Also, I've seen two references to The Animated Series, so far, which automatically bumps it up a notch.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Zefram Mann wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:04 am Saw the first three eps. Overall liked it. Mariner is a bit hard to like for me. She feels a lot like "Rick Sanchez: The Teenage Years", and boy do I not like Rick Sanchez (post season 1). Boimler is the rules-obsessed butt-monkey and that's certainly a trope that hasn't been beaten into the ground. Sam and D'Vana are cute. I like the way Sam's prosthetic eye's digital lcd pupil mimics the real one. The bridge crew is this fun mix of dysfunctional idiots that are still strangely competent in their own ways, just enough that you can still accept Starfleet trusting them with a ship.

Also, I've seen two references to The Animated Series, so far, which automatically bumps it up a notch.
Is Mariner actually supposed to be likeable? I thought the entire second episode was about what a giant douchebag she was, with one little redeeming bit at the end. And we were supposed to laugh when she got stabbed in the leg by a sword. I can't see laughing if Sam, D'Vana or Boimler were stabbed in the leg in quite the same way. Actually that entire scene killed me, I was waiting for her to do the entire "girl power" shtick then our Riker/Kirk expy stabs her in the leg so he can go full William Shatner on the alien. I was fucking dying.

I am kind of hoping they've got her in a good spot where we know she has good intentions deep down somewhere, but she's also such a dick we're happy to laugh when stupid stuff happens to her.