Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Zargon
Officer

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by Zargon »

Well, most of the majority are colorblind, and this is why good movies like say Black Panther make tons of money as the color of the actors does not matter. Most of the non majority is color coded and only wants to watch stuff that looks...and acts like them.

Core Disney (with out Marvel) does have the girl problem: most of Disneys fan base is female. Sure all kids love Disney when they are kids, and some guys keep a small Disney Legacy(My DVD wall has a Disney shelf with Bed knobs and Broomsticks, The cat from outer space, The Tailspin DVD collection, The Black Hole, Tron, and such).

But Core Disney has the life long fans in females, and not just the princesses. If you know one of these females, you know what I'm talking about...like they go to the D con dressed as a Disney character (though I guess mashing characters is a big thing now...like dressing as Amy Pond(Doctor Who...and not Disney, but whatever) and Minnie Mouse: Minnie Mouse Pond?)

And they tried to get that huge female fan base to buy all the "cool" woke stuff.....and they did not.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Zargon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:18 am Well, most of the majority are colorblind, and this is why good movies like say Black Panther make tons of money as the color of the actors does not matter. Most of the non majority is color coded and only wants to watch stuff that looks...and acts like them.
It's odd how you say the exact opposite of what you said last post:
Zargon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 amSure there are some 'one minded' folks of color that will only watch or buy things of their color: they lead a color coded life. But nearly everyone watches, likes and buys 'white".
It's like you're just making up random crap here. It's like you have some half-baked beliefs and are babbling something that you thinks supports them, but there's no real logic or structure here. Just a conviction that you're right, a belief structure that doesn't pass the smell test, and a whole lot of nonsense.

That "talk for a long time and people will think you had something smart to say in there" stuff only works for YouTube videos. In print we can see these glaring flaws in your logic. So far in the nine pages of this post you have:

- Failed to define what "Woke" is.
- Failed to explain why you think Disney was "Woke"
- Failed to explain why you think Disney has "ditched Woke"
- Come up with two completely contradictory reasons for why "Woke" failed (the first being white people were too racist), still without defining what the hell "Woke" is
- Babbled a bunch about media you've never read

Here, I think this sums it up:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

GreyICE wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 am
Zargon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:18 am Well, most of the majority are colorblind, and this is why good movies like say Black Panther make tons of money as the color of the actors does not matter. Most of the non majority is color coded and only wants to watch stuff that looks...and acts like them.
It's odd how you say the exact opposite of what you said last post:
Zargon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 amSure there are some 'one minded' folks of color that will only watch or buy things of their color: they lead a color coded life. But nearly everyone watches, likes and buys 'white".
It's like you're just making up random crap here. It's like you have some half-baked beliefs and are babbling something that you thinks supports them, but there's no real logic or structure here. Just a conviction that you're right, a belief structure that doesn't pass the smell test, and a whole lot of nonsense.

That "talk for a long time and people will think you had something smart to say in there" stuff only works for YouTube videos. In print we can see these glaring flaws in your logic. So far in the nine pages of this post you have:

- Failed to define what "Woke" is.
- Failed to explain why you think Disney was "Woke"
- Failed to explain why you think Disney has "ditched Woke"
- Come up with two completely contradictory reasons for why "Woke" failed (the first being white people were too racist), still without defining what the hell "Woke" is
- Babbled a bunch about media you've never read

Here, I think this sums it up:

It just means 'bad thing I [the speaker] don't like'. That's what MOST of the buzzwords actually mean.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/john-boyega-interview-2020?fbclid=IwAR2HKC88VrZlA1Yk0k-7FDpbcr9WJay7r4ohavlDsl08EZD0_sEbwc6BRW8
‘What I say to Disney is do not market a black character as important and then push them aside’
But he is also talking about other people of colour in the cast – Naomi Ackie and Kelly Marie Tran and even Oscar Isaac (“a brother from Guatemala”) – who he feels suffered the same treatment; he is acknowledging that some people will say he’s “crazy” or “making it up”, but the reordered character hierarchy of The Last Jedi was particularly hard to take.

“Like, you guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver,” he says. “You knew what to do with these other people, but when it came to Kelly Marie Tran, when it came to John Boyega, you know fuck all. So what do you want me to say? What they want you to say is, ‘I enjoyed being a part of it. It was a great experience...’ Nah, nah, nah. I’ll take that deal when it’s a great experience. They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley. Let’s be honest. Daisy knows this. Adam knows this. Everybody knows. I’m not exposing anything.”
Star Wars and other films have issues but it's not 'being woke'. It's just bad writing that sometimes tries to hide behind being progressive. If you took out the "Progressive" elements they'd still likely be bad because the quality writing simply isn't there, or a decision was made that kind of kills a lot of the audience interest.

Let's talk Terminator: Dark Fate and James Cameron's decision to kill of John Connor.
It’s a twist Cameron purposefully suggested to jar audience expectations. “I said, ‘Let’s take him out in the first 30 seconds,’” said Cameron of John Connor’s new tragic fate. “They’re sitting in a pizzeria, a Terminator walks in and blows him away. You’re one minute into the movie.’ Everybody went, ‘Really? You want to do this?’”

“I said, yes!” said Cameron, who co-wrote the first “Terminator” with Gale Ann Hurd and “T2" with William Wisher. Amusement danced in his voice. “You pull the rug out from underneath the entire construct that’s been going on for the last three decades.”

According to Miller, early creative discussions about the idea ended in “pretty much universal agreement that it was the thing to do.”

“I love the idiom of, put your characters in a place they’d least want to be,” he said. “And I love the idea of shocking the audience and doing the unexpected.”
He decided to 'Pull the rug' out of the construct, and ignored the potential audience blowback so he could 'Shock the audience'. IMHO this was a BAD idea, especailly since the new enemey (legion) has no connection to Skynet. He basically 'stuffd John in a refrigerator' and since we'd spent T2 with the guy it went over poorly and ended potentially better Storylines. For example, in a future war where John is NOT the saviour...what is he...what does he do and how does he handle it when the job he was raised to do is no longer his burden to bear?

Let's look at Alien: Covenant in which the few good things from Prometheus are killed off screen and the interesting direction of exploring the engineers is completely abandoned.

How about Game of Thrones season 6-8 where the quality of the writing went downhill, partially due to GRRM's inability to finish the series and partially because D&D rushed things to take on new opportunities (and other issues).

"Woke" isn't the problem. Bad writing is the problem...HAS been the problem we're just seeing some of the Bad writing attempting to use 'Progressive' elements as a shield against audience anger.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Well in all fairness to Disney, they are going to be in a situation where they marketed a black character as important and now he's going to vanish from continuity, but this one at least isn't their fault. I hate Disney, but for once this isn't on them.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

GreyICE wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:52 am Well in all fairness to Disney, they are going to be in a situation where they marketed a black character as important and now he's going to vanish from continuity, but this one at least isn't their fault. I hate Disney, but for once this isn't on them.
Oh no, this was WELL before that. Finn is shown with a Lightsaber ALL OVER the marketing for TFA...but that was just to hide Rey's reveal as the trilogy's force user. Then...Finn get's stuck in a side plot in TLJ that goes nowhere and at best retreads the "Must not run away" arc head had in the first film. So we get to the third film and we're out of time to DO anything interesting with his character despite a promising Origin as a former Stormtrooper.

Bad writing and planning. You can blame Disney or Lucasfilm but the issue is there none the less.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

yes^
..What mirror universe?
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Ordo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:45 am "Woke" isn't the problem. Bad writing is the problem...HAS been the problem we're just seeing some of the Bad writing attempting to use 'Progressive' elements as a shield against audience anger.
That is the majority of the problem. Studios are lazy and if they have a choice between putting in the effort to make a good story or throwing in token characters and talking points, it's clear what most would pick.

But Wokeness can lead to bad writing itself do to constraints the ideology places on writers. As an example, villains are not allowed to really challenge female heroes and are definitely not allowed to physically harm them (chokeholds appear to trigger woke activists the most, X-Men: Apocalypse anyone?). An untouchable heroine and an ineffectual villain is a major writing handicap that leads naturally to Mary Sue-ness.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

That didn't have to do with the movie it had to do with marketing.
..What mirror universe?
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

The term 'woke' is losing its meaning. The term is being sloganised by a cult of social justice. Being woke is being inherently connected to the identitarian left.

Rather than confronting bad ideas or race equity culture issues through discussion, debate or protest, woke people aim now to intimidate their detractors into silence. This coupled with speeches of hate, and forcing their illiberal ideologies on others, is what sums up the woke culture of today.