Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

Post by Worffan101 »

Winter wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 am
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:39 am You mean the classist bougie TERF who's obsessed with social capital because she doesn't have to worry about physical capital anymore remains a classist bougie TERF who punches down while wearing a macabre skin of pseudo-liberalism like a grotesque mask?

Honestly, we'd be better off just ignoring Rowling entirely. Let her spend the rest of her life enjoying her vast fortune while everybody else forgets that she exists.
Given how popular Harry Potter is and likely will remain in the years to come I doubt anyone will be forgetting Rowling. I mean H.P. Lovecraft was a classiest and a raciest but today that's not common knowledge and what most people know of Lovecraft is his works which, at the very least, still have interesting ideas.

I hope that she sees that what she's saying is offensive & stupid and that she see what she's saying is wrong and grows up. If she doesn't that's on her and at least her most famous work, Harry Potter, has little of her Transphobia in it.

P.S. Check out Sense8 and She-Ra which has trans characters and actors and are both awesome. Seriously these shows are great and I love them so much! :D
Tried Sense8, didn't like it (but I didn't like the Matrix all that much either), got addicted to She-Ra, only complaint is that Scorpia/Perfuma felt a little forced and I wanted more love for Scorpia. Also I am Hordak and the guy I'm in love with is Entrapta so...
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

To me this smacks of the Bathroom Issue. As in a man who identifies as a woman should or not should not be allowed in a female bathroom. As in the issue the right feels would be an issue. That a man dresses up as a woman without the identity issues a true transgender goes through, only to sexual assault or records or whatever you can think of inside a female bathroom.

So this sort of thing smacks of creating extra worry for the transwoman community.

I have heard of only one incident where this actually happened to be honest.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I saw this on Quora and it mimics what I think so I thought I would copy and paste it. I also like this because its a woman saying it which will become clear why I think this as you read. Credit Julia Harris:

OK, i’ll be honest with you: I think Rowling’s mask is slipping.

Before this, whether you agree or disagree with her arguments, she framed it as ‘’protecting women’’. That is what it always was (in her eyes) whenever someone criticised her. She was a feminist doing what she thought was right against a sexist society. You can almost admire such a dogged attitude.

But by writing a book with this subject matter at a time when her hashtag is still trending on Twitter, she is telling you exactly what she thinks: cis, heterosexual men are disguising themselves as women and they are coming for you. And if you think you have heard this story before, you have: its the exact same argument that people use to stop transpeople from using opposite sex bathrooms and changing rooms.

And I know what the counterargument is going to be: ‘’but he is not a transperson’’ or ‘’he kills men and women so its fine’’. And to that I say ‘’stop being naive’’. These are things thrown in there so that people like you defend her. She’s powerful, she knows she’s powerful, and she knows that people will go out of their way to help her just because she wrote a series of books that you like.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

She’s powerful, she knows she’s powerful, and she knows that people will go out of their way to help her just because she wrote a series of books that you like.
That is the thing. SJW have successfully canceled everybody in the whole World, but you failed on JKR.

JKR says the SJW Emperor has no clothes.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Artabax wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:53 pm
She’s powerful, she knows she’s powerful, and she knows that people will go out of their way to help her just because she wrote a series of books that you like.
That is the thing. SJW have successfully canceled everybody in the whole World, but you failed on JKR.

Not many people on this forum have accused me of being an SJW :lol:
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

When have they ever successfully cancelled ANYONE? When have us SJWs actually managed to get any single person to shut up? Cuz I wish that worked but it doesn't!

No if you want real cancel culture, you have to go back to the Dixie Chicks being cancelled by Republicans for saying that Dubya doesn't walk on water.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:20 am

When have they ever successfully cancelled ANYONE? When have us SJWs actually managed to get any single person to shut up? Cuz I wish that worked but it doesn't!

No if you want real cancel culture, you have to go back to the Dixie Chicks being cancelled by Republicans for saying that Dubya doesn't walk on water.
I'm not really sure. What happened to James Gunn and a few others is pretty consistent with what reactionaries are kind of warranted in being off put about. I really do agree with the principle of what goes on today, and I know that stuff like MeToo stops being an every day news event, like on the other end of the tunnel kidna.

It is a bit overbearing though especially for all of it to be presented mainly in the outlets of entertainment media. And it's mainly the left side is flooding the playing scape with cross-board lightning strikes on everything.
Power laces... alright.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Maybe, just maybe, cancel culture is something that happens due to social-capital obsessed assholes on every end of the political spectrum. But the right likes to whine about it because it provides a nice shield for them and they get upset when they're told it's rude to make rape jokes and harass women for daring to express opinions.

But what do I know, I'm just some dude who was called a misogynistic dinosaur for not liking Captain Marvel, and a SJW commie who deserves to be raped to death for not saying that Brie Larson is an ugly mannish whore with no ass. (which, have those idiot incels seen Brie Larson? She's posted her workout videos publicly, and you'd have to be fucking blind to say she has no ass. Then again, incels are idiots who're blinded by their insane death cult, so...)
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:19 pm Maybe, just maybe, cancel culture is something that happens due to social-capital obsessed assholes on every end of the political spectrum. But the right likes to whine about it because it provides a nice shield for them and they get upset when they're told it's rude to make rape jokes and harass women for daring to express opinions.

But what do I know, I'm just some dude who was called a misogynistic dinosaur for not liking Captain Marvel, and a SJW commie who deserves to be raped to death for not saying that Brie Larson is an ugly mannish whore with no ass. (which, have those idiot incels seen Brie Larson? She's posted her workout videos publicly, and you'd have to be fucking blind to say she has no ass. Then again, incels are idiots who're blinded by their insane death cult, so...)
Calling people INCELs is as overused as calling people SJWs. They are both very effective ways of creating an easy strawman to tear down. Such as what you just did.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:19 pmBut what do I know, I'm just some dude who was called a misogynistic dinosaur for not liking Captain Marvel,
Well maybe you should have been. You ever think about that?
Power laces... alright.