Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:28 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:53 pm But one way to interpret Captain Freeman's "New Essentialist"-esque attitudes about the Federation that makes sense might be the fact that she came up as a Captain during the Dominion War. Her very harsh military discipline, efficiency, and hardassery could be a reflection of knowing when that was the only thing standing between the Federation and annihilation.

It's just that attitude has no place in Starfleet now and it's driving her batty.
Wanna know the sad part? Despite it being a comedy show and deliberately over the top, she still came off better than that idiot Captain Jellico from Chain of Command. At least she didn't override the recommendations of the entire command staff and ignore the chief engineer when she implemented her nightmare scheduling. And she reversed course when it was obvious her course wasn't working. And she didn't once suggest that a senior officer was plotting against her! So she's like three degrees better than Jellico.

Also I'd bet a hundred dollars against a jelly donut that Chain of Command came up in the writer's room while they were writing this episode.
Okay I finally have the Whatever network so I can now appreciate how right you are.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Episode 4 already gets points for using Ominous Deadly Villain Music just for the Captain assigning a crew member something she hates. Partway through.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Mabus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:30 pmAnd Tendi is now another character that's insufferable.
Them's fightin words.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

So, just to be clear, Mariner and the captain from Episode 7 used to bone, right? They totally boned.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:20 am So, just to be clear, Mariner and the captain from Episode 7 used to bone, right? They totally boned.
The energy was quite impressive there. I'm surprised they just didn't make it clear.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Not reading all 26 pages, but I assume folks here don't hate this show like DISCO and PICARD? I've heard nothing but glowing thing about this show the more time has passed. I haven't tried watching it yet. Just haven't been in the mood (and I'm just not into animated stuff, I've only watched TAS once and I don't really care if I never watch it again for the rest of my life).
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I'd hazard a guess and say that many have just given up voicing their opinion, because they will be shouted down or disregarded anyways. It's probably the least divisive of the nuTrek-series, given it doesn't try to be anything it just isn't, but there you are. It's TAS except intentionally funny.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Dman
Redshirt

Post by Dman »

Random thought... I mean, I know they saved the big Mariner revel for the end, but I find it kinda strange that HoloFreeman didn't spend her birthday with her husband.

If the fact that Mariner was her daughter was in her private logs somewhere, her husband must have been too.
Arson55
Redshirt

Post by Arson55 »

Well, it's easy to explain away the fact that holoFreeman wasn't with her husband. She's a captain, and he's an admiral. Most likely they were just too busy or too far away for the schedules to line up. Also, I doubt Boimler could have had access to the admiral's private logs so it's likely his simulation didn't have enough data to accurately model him.

But I was just laughing and laughing at the overly long fly around the ship looking at the it scene at the beginning. The lens flares got some chuckles too.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:27 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:20 am So, just to be clear, Mariner and the captain from Episode 7 used to bone, right? They totally boned.
The energy was quite impressive there. I'm surprised they just didn't make it clear.
I'd buy it. Two lovers, grown apart, but still on good terms.