Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by Makeshift Python »

That's a possible outcome. Either way, given how the first two episodes went, I think we should at least expect a much better use and balance of the cast. Burnham will still be the main role, but others are now being allowed to get their own stories like Saru becoming captain and Detmer going through some PTSD.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Ordo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:55 pm
Asvarduil wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 pm Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Saru will be the first Star Trek hero-ship captain who isn't a human! A little bit of progress!
This is something I've been waiting for a long time to happen. He won't be the star like other show captains, but it's cool to have the hero ship have a non-human captain. It's not official yet, but I'm already waiting for that episode where he's given a full on commission.
Well, if they do run into remnants of the Federation in episode 3 as the return to Earth suggests, it'll be interesting if they give official command of the ship to Saru. They can then assign Burnham and Book to investigate the cause of the Burn, while the Discovery is assigned to restablish contact with Federation member worlds. In all honesty, Burnham & Book's mission could tend to overlap with Saru and the Discovery's mission so you can have them interact in interesting ways without having Michael constantly at the forefront.

I do not wish to completely divorce michael from the show, but I DO want to shine more of a spotlight on the Discovery crew as they seem a likable bunch. So watching them try to expand the Federations influence with Saru at the helm, while Michael & Book try to sort out the 'Burn' (With Overlap) could work. In that scenario Burnham uses the Discovery as her Base of Operations but can often be off ship tracking down a lead while the Discovery and her crew deal with another issue. At times Burnham comes back and shares what she learned and everyone works together to find a solution to 'The Burn'.

That's just my thinking, though.
Agreed, I personally like Michael Burnham, and the last episode was great as it felt it was more her reacting to situations than her driving the story, but I do want the rest of the crew to have just as much time in the spotlight as Michael, so this episode without her being the main focus was really good, I love all the character interactions in this episode, Saru is great at being a leader and it's also awesome we have a none human Captain, I love his talk with Tilly, Stamets and Reno's banter are always fun, it looks like Detmer's not doing so hot and I'm interested in how that will play out, Georgiou was a lot of fun and I love the power struggle between her and Saru, I've always like the crew of Discovery, they just needed more time to be fleshed out, and I hope this is a sign of the new dynamic of the series.

Also, I love the full on western feel with the saloon scenes, Zareh was a really cool villain, and speaking of villains I love that the last we see of Leland and the remains of Control is being unceremoniously shovelled into a bucket, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Last edited by Link8909 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

So, during last week's episode, I remember thinking about Chuck's reviews of season 2, how sick he was Mikey-B by the end, and how pessimistic he was about the show going foreward. This episode though, I feel might actually start to win him over. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum.

On a larger note, I only ever watched a little bit of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, but I've always thought that it had a really cool concept, just squandered with a completely mediocre execution. So doing a modern, big budget do-over in the actual Star Trek universe, is something I am completely down for. And hopefully they keep the space-western thing going throughout, since those are always two great tastes that taste great together.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

It's kind of a full circle thing. Andromeda came about when Robert Hewitt Wolfe used Roddenberry's basis for that show for a potential Star Trek spin-off. Rick Berman rejected it at the time, so Wolfe worked on it as a separate project. 25 years later, it's actually being utilized for Trek.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Well episode 2 is a much better episode then most. Less Burnum and more anyone else in the crew is always good.

So borg girls name is ''demeter" , wow great to know her name as she has sort of been around from episode one. Too bad she is not a real character with a real part in the show, but they mist make all the focus on only Burnum as she is so special. But there is "something wrong with her"....so that means she will die before the end of the season, so we won't have to remember her name.

And the show had more of...er...whatever the mean sarcastic engineer lady is. It's always fun to watch her bully around super wimpy Stamos(too bad he did not die and then they could bury him in a mushroom patch or something).

It's nice for the second episode in a row having weapons that don't look like "20th century guns". Both the thugs and the space cowboys had odd looking zap guns. Course, the space outlaws has space shotguns that went 'pew pew".

So...this shows how utterly bad Suru is as a captain, person, character, or even 'spot to hang a light shade'. If "the carvery" empress did not come and save the day....well, he was just going to surrender the whole ship and crew to the cowboy outlaw thugs, right?

Sure was AMAZING Burnum shows up at the end.....but guess you have to do cheats like that because of the pathetically short number of episodes.

Nice to see the one and only saurain in all of Star Trek, too bad he is not more of a character.

And it's been two episodes...where are the other gender characters they tried to hype up so much? Are they not Discovery crew members? Or are they going to be future people?
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:26 pm It's kind of a full circle thing. Andromeda came about when Robert Hewitt Wolfe used Roddenberry's basis for that show for a potential Star Trek spin-off. Rick Berman rejected it at the time, so Wolfe worked on it as a separate project. 25 years later, it's actually being utilized for Trek.
Honestly the concept of the Federation collapsing for a time never bothered me. What I'm liking about Discovery's version is that so far, the tech level remains above what we've seen in previous Star Trek series, it's just that the method to power their ships has become VERY scarce. Obviously we've seen other alternatives throughout Trek's history and it's possible some of that is being used on a limited basis since we've confirmed at least two Federation ships in service. That said we don't know what exotic material might be required to make it work, and thus it could also be extremely rare even if it's more trusted than Dilithium.

For me, I skipped the second season because the concept of the Red Angel and the entire prequel nature of the series didn't bother me. Now that they've jumped into the future I am interested again so this softreboot is pretty much working for me. I'm not tired of seeing any particular character in action, and to me there seem to be a lot of new faces getting screen time. So over all I am cautiously optimistic.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Zargon wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:12 am Well episode 2 is a much better episode then most. Less Burnum and more anyone else in the crew is always good
Burnham.
So borg girls name is ''demeter" , wow great to know her name as she has sort of been around from episode one.
She's not a borg and her name is Keyla Detmer. We know her name since episode one.
And the show had more of...er...whatever the mean sarcastic engineer lady is.
Jett Reno.
It's always fun to watch her bully around super wimpy Stamos(too bad he did not die and then they could bury him in a mushroom patch or something).
Stamets. We also know his name since episode one (and even before). Seems that you have a greater problem with names than the show.
It's nice for the second episode in a row having weapons that don't look like "20th century guns". Both the thugs and the space cowboys had odd looking zap guns. Course, the space outlaws has space shotguns that went 'pew pew".
I suppose you prefer your ray guns to go "wheez" instead? It's a sci-fi show, what did you expect?
So...this shows how utterly bad Suru is as a captain, person, character, or even 'spot to hang a light shade'. If "the carvery" empress did not come and save the day....well, he was just going to surrender the whole ship and crew to the cowboy outlaw thugs, right?
On the contrary, Saru (not Suru) showed how good a captain he was during all this episode. You know, when you're outgunned, it's better to negociate and wait for an opportunity.
Sure was AMAZING Burnum shows up at the end.....but guess you have to do cheats like that because of the pathetically short number of episodes.
If you had been watching the first episode, you would have noticed that Burnham was looking for the Discovery. She even asked the guy in the space station to look for it. And since a criminal and a few scavengers noticed the temporal wormhole, you'd think a Starfleet space station would too. It was not a cheat.
Nice to see the one and only saurain in all of Star Trek, too bad he is not more of a character.
I also would like to see more of Linus.
And it's been two episodes...where are the other gender characters they tried to hype up so much? Are they not Discovery crew members? Or are they going to be future people?
I don't believe they are Discovery crew members. And it's only been two episodes. Don't worry. You will be able to hate the transgendered characters soon enough.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Actarus wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:17 pm
And the show had more of...er...whatever the mean sarcastic engineer lady is.
Jett Reno.
Yeah, not going to lie - I think she has the coolest name of anyone in the series. Jett Reno just sounds so...damn. It sounds awesome to say. On top of it, she's competent and reasonably self-aware. She's basically the Lt. Reid of DISCO.

I'm sure The Sisko approves of her presence.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:53 pm
Jett Reno.
Yeah, not going to lie - I think she has the coolest name of anyone in the series. Jett Reno just sounds so...damn. It sounds awesome to say. On top of it, she's competent and reasonably self-aware. She's basically the Lt. Reid of DISCO.

I'm sure The Sisko approves of her presence.
Agreed, Jett Reno was a great addition to Discovery in season two, I always love the grease monkey engineer character in fiction, and her banter with Paul Stamets are always fun.

I also love this exchange she had in the latest episode:
Reno: So, unless Hazmat over here is gonna be helping after he cleans up aisle five…
Ensign Hazmat: M-my name's Gene, actually.
Reno: I've already forgotten that.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Zargon wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:12 amIt's nice for the second episode in a row having weapons that don't look like "20th century guns". Both the thugs and the space cowboys had odd looking zap guns. Course, the space outlaws has space shotguns that went 'pew pew".
I suppose you prefer your ray guns to go "wheez" instead? It's a sci-fi show, what did you expect?
Indeed.

I really liked Zareh's gun in particular, because based on how it caused bleeding from the eyes reminded me of when Kes accidentally boiled Tuvok's blood in "Cold Fire" makes me think that his guns beam is raising the internal body temperature and is boiling the person to death from the inside... so a little different from going pew pew.
Last edited by Link8909 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Jean-Luc Picard