Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:14 pm A part of me suspects the problem is that certain fans came at DISCO with both barrels and expected it to sink.

Now they're angry it's chugging along stronger than ever.
Interesting choice of language. The dictionary has the word ''chug'' to mean ''to move slowly''.

I agree.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BTW, I expect no answer whatsoever as to why Crewman Daniels or Captain Braxton isn't currently trying to intervene with all of these time travel shenanigans. This really does seem to be in their remit. Lets be honest here: in any other Star Trek series, this horrific future (and the one in PIC come to that) would be fought against with the full expectation that the audience will cheer.

Of course, the absence of the time agents is kind of like the absence of Superman whenever a Green Lantern or Batman comic threatens the universe - we are meant to just forget his existence even though it actually makes no sense at all.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 pm BTW, I expect no answer whatsoever as to why Crewman Daniels or Captain Braxton isn't currently trying to intervene with all of these time travel shenanigans...
Simple, Temporal Prime Directive, if they're not there then that's how history was suppose to go, and even when it's a time related issue usually the heroes of their respective series that come across a time problem sort it out for the Time Agents, and even then they can basically erase any trace that they were there, so what makes anyone think they didn't get involved with an important event in a series?
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 pm BTW, I expect no answer whatsoever as to why Crewman Daniels or Captain Braxton isn't currently trying to intervene with all of these time travel shenanigans. This really does seem to be in their remit. Lets be honest here: in any other Star Trek series, this horrific future (and the one in PIC come to that) would be fought against with the full expectation that the audience will cheer.

Of course, the absence of the time agents is kind of like the absence of Superman whenever a Green Lantern or Batman comic threatens the universe - we are meant to just forget his existence even though it actually makes no sense at all.
We already have an answer: Time Travel is illegal.

Hopefully when Daniels arrive, they give him a hard beating, remove his time devices, and dump him on Rura Penthe.

Trek deserves revenge on all the meddling time travelers.
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

If all traces of Discovery were erased, and it doesn't appear till after Daniels's and Braxton's times, then there's no way that they would know to intervene. The only way would be to happen to have a time agent on one of the ships involved. Memory Alpha lists the time Daniel brought Archer to in Shockwave as being around 3052, with The Burn occurring around 3069.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:35 pm We already have an answer: Time Travel is illegal.

Hopefully when Daniels arrive, they give him a hard beating, remove his time devices, and dump him on Rura Penthe.

Trek deserves revenge on all the meddling time travelers.
This was a really smart writing decision to have Time Travel outlawed in the 32nd Century, as often mentioned Time Travel opens up the question as to why it's not used all the time to solve problems, and this ban prevents the Burn and any future conflicts from having similar traps.

But not only with all the reasons giving so far, the danger of people rewriting history to suit their own view in Star Trek (like erasing the Dominion or meddling with the Klingons to make them less warlike) is that if they do go down that road then they'll be playing God with countless lives, erasing and tampering with them to conform to their own ideal of what right is, eventually culminating in a universe singing its own rendition of In Our Town*, now personally that doesn't sound like something a hero would do.

Plus that's how the Temporal Cold War started, with multiple people wanting to change history to suit their own vision of what's right.

And also, if "Tapestry" and "Year of Hell" have taught me anything is that meddling in the past to change an undesirable outcome, no matter how small or justifiable it is, never works out how one wants it to.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQ50P-Ffqk
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I was going to bring up "Year of Hell" as why time travelers probably try to avoid changing history. Messing with history is like playing a game of Pick Up Sticks. You can't change an event without it having unintended consequences which could come back to bite you. Yeah, best just to ban it.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

OK, enough negativity y'all. I'm getting fed up of all of this bashing :lol:

Seriously though, joking aside, I thought I would dish out a few compliments. I like the new combadges. Its a perfectly acceptable evolution of the technology to combine a communicator, tricorder, site-to-site transporter and holographic technology into a single unit. My only concern with this thing is that it could very much go down the sonic screwdriver route of becoming incredibly overpowered (and lets be honest, it'll probably gain a few new abilities as time goes on) and as such they will need to find a way to break it or remove it every week. But still, I like it.

Tbh, I liked a lot of the new tech in PIC as well. The mobile EMH suitcase thing that allows you to spawn a hologram to help you out on board ship be it piloting, medical, engineering etc. is again a perfectly legitimate evolution of the Doctor.

There there were the transporter arches - neat idea. Transporters have been getting quicker and more reliable ever since TOS. Personally i think the things are ripe for telefragging but one would hope that the Federation knows how to build a proximity sensor. I say ''hope'' because these are the same people who built a powered manual door release into Voyager and a handrail that severs fingers onto the NX-01.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 pm combine a communicator, tricorder, site-to-site transporter and holographic technology into a single unit. My only concern with this thing is that it could very much go down the sonic screwdriver route of becoming incredibly overpowered (and lets be honest, it'll probably gain a few new abilities as time goes on)
Well, it's probably doable to just clamp it down to "solution of the week". To be fair, breaking the transporter is the first thing to go in any trek episode, communicator the next. "They've put in some kind of jamming field!" is probably going to be very common.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

We already had a jamming field in this past episode. And don't forget all the natural phenomena that mess with transporters and communications. If Star Trek has taught us one thing, it's that the fancier the tech the easy it is to defeat.