Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by Durandal_1707 »

When it comes to things that are as unlikely to even be possible to work as the transporter, it doesn't seem like that big of a stretch that it wouldn't take much to throw them off. 🤷‍♂️
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 pm OK, enough negativity y'all. I'm getting fed up of all of this bashing :lol:

Seriously though, joking aside, I thought I would dish out a few compliments. I like the new combadges. Its a perfectly acceptable evolution of the technology to combine a communicator, tricorder, site-to-site transporter and holographic technology into a single unit. My only concern with this thing is that it could very much go down the sonic screwdriver route of becoming incredibly overpowered (and lets be honest, it'll probably gain a few new abilities as time goes on) and as such they will need to find a way to break it or remove it every week. But still, I like it.

Tbh, I liked a lot of the new tech in PIC as well. The mobile EMH suitcase thing that allows you to spawn a hologram to help you out on board ship be it piloting, medical, engineering etc. is again a perfectly legitimate evolution of the Doctor.

There there were the transporter arches - neat idea. Transporters have been getting quicker and more reliable ever since TOS. Personally i think the things are ripe for telefragging but one would hope that the Federation knows how to build a proximity sensor. I say ''hope'' because these are the same people who built a powered manual door release into Voyager and a handrail that severs fingers onto the NX-01.
Definitely, I've always loved the new technology we see in both Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard, panically in season three with the all in one Combadges, the Programable Matter, and the new ships that have detached Nacelles and some are even part organic, and Book's ship that can come apart and rearrange itself on the fly, the 32nd Century really has a unique style and feel to it that sells that this is the future of the future, and it's great the the creative team got to really be creative with this new era.

And while I do feel that starting Star Trek Discovery as a prequel without fully committing was a miss-step, it unintentionally works out for introducing this radically new leap in technology to the audience, that it's just as new and exciting to the Discovery crew as it is the audience, much like with Riker seeing the Holodeck for the first time.

I also really like some of the more subtle advances we see in Star Trek Picard, as you said the Emergency Holograms with more roles is a natural step forward, even having them on privately owned ships like Rios's that don't want or can't hire a real crew, and things like the Public Transporter Arches, Rios's ship controls, and the Holographic Displays are very welcomed additions to the future in the TNG era.

I also like how the Holographic Displays are rendered, they have a bit more of a roughness to them when you see characters manipulating them, much like how when one uses an iPad it's not always smooth and it adds to the believability, I also like to think that Holographic Ads have been around for a lot longer because that would mean in the episode "The Quickening" Quark was such a cheapskate that rather than pay out for a high quality holographic ad, he made his own with the Ferengi equivalent of Windows Movie Maker, and used the Ferengi's Teespring.com to get his logo on mugs.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Link8909 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:39 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 pm OK, enough negativity y'all. I'm getting fed up of all of this bashing :lol:

Seriously though, joking aside, I thought I would dish out a few compliments. I like the new combadges. Its a perfectly acceptable evolution of the technology to combine a communicator, tricorder, site-to-site transporter and holographic technology into a single unit. My only concern with this thing is that it could very much go down the sonic screwdriver route of becoming incredibly overpowered (and lets be honest, it'll probably gain a few new abilities as time goes on) and as such they will need to find a way to break it or remove it every week. But still, I like it.

Tbh, I liked a lot of the new tech in PIC as well. The mobile EMH suitcase thing that allows you to spawn a hologram to help you out on board ship be it piloting, medical, engineering etc. is again a perfectly legitimate evolution of the Doctor.

There there were the transporter arches - neat idea. Transporters have been getting quicker and more reliable ever since TOS. Personally i think the things are ripe for telefragging but one would hope that the Federation knows how to build a proximity sensor. I say ''hope'' because these are the same people who built a powered manual door release into Voyager and a handrail that severs fingers onto the NX-01.

I also like how the Holographic Displays are rendered, they have a bit more of a roughness to them when you see characters manipulating them
, much like how when one uses an iPad it's not always smooth and it adds to the believability, I also like to think that Holographic Ads have been around for a lot longer because that would mean in the episode "The Quickening" Quark was such a cheapskate that rather than pay out for a high quality holographic ad, he made his own with the Ferengi equivalent of Windows Movie Maker, and used the Ferengi's Teespring.com to get his logo on mugs.
I'm reminded of something that Chuck noted with the minefield in DS9 where he said that it simply isn't possible that replicators make something from nothing - there has to be something that its crafting this stuff from otherwise it breaks the laws of physics. Bit like a 3D printer. It seems to me then that even though money doesn't exist, the ''replicator stuff'' is still a probably limited resource that you wouldn't want to waste.

Meaning that you have the state of the art holograms produced by the likes of Dr Zimmerman that is basically the Apple of this world, and you have the mass-produced knock-off stuff that uses less ''replicator stuff'' and thus simply is not as good because its designed to be shipped in lots of a million. And what backs up my theory is that Eddington stole something for the Maquis called an ''industrial replicator''. What makes something ''an industrial replicator'' other than its massive stores of ''replicator stuff''?
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

So, was not expecting a Mirror Universe episode in Season 3, complete with mustache twirling villains, blackjack *and* hookers, and Georgiou clearly having a moral dilemma or five.

This is going to be weird coming from me...but I think this episode is at once enjoyable in that we get all those hearty "MUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!" moments...but also vacuous. Georgiou suffers a problem that many DISCO characters suffer: she's one-dimensional. The "growth" she shows in this episode is unprecedented. Her having taken on some Federation values is interesting, but ultimately it's all out of left-field. Sure, there's a certain poetic justice that in the mirror universe, an unforeseen turn of events would indeed be a more benevolent Emperor (though she's still Space Hitler), but it's jarring, and poorly set-up in the course of the season.

I don't think this episode can stand alone, and be criticised alone. This is a two-parter, and discussing this episode out of context is difficult, if not impossible, because we simply haven't gotten the full story here.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

scratches head
I know this is a two-parter and this is just the first episode of it, but for some reason I'm not excited in any way for its conclusion. What exactly is the endgame for Georgiou? Wait for Lorca to arrive with Discovery and ambush him? Tame EvilBurnham? I feel like they forgot to add some real stakes, Georgiou at risk o being betrayed is not a good one since that's just an average day in the MU.

If the writers intended to have a more soft Georgiou to show that her character evolved in the last 1.5-2 seasons, then they screwed badly since for that to have happen, you'd have to have shown her for the past 2 seasons actually growing as a character. Which they didn't. All they did was have the character act and speak like a middle aged high school girl every time she was on screen, which is not cool, it's cringe. We know very little of her persona apart from being evil and insulting people for lulz. Only in the last few episodes they remembered about her, kind of like how they remember that Detmer existed (for like 5 minutes anyway).

The biggest issue that the series suffers from, apart from nonsensical mystery of the season, is that the characters have no personality, they're just 2 dimensional planks of wood (I don't even remember most of their names) that some occasionally get one or two personal scenes that ultimately go nowhere and don't develop the character in any meaningful way. It's like Kurtzman and his lackeys took a quick look at the main issues that plagued the previous Trek series and concluded that Trek needed even more of those problems: more Wesley Crusher(s), even less character development save for the creator's pet (sort of), more bad fight choreography, even more subplots that go nowhere. His contract with CBS must have some really solid firing clauses if no one has decided to boot him away by now.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

I'm with Asvarduil here, I was not expecting Georgiou to wind up back in the Mirror Universe, and personally throughout this episode I was being surprised by the reveals and twists, I'm really looking forward to how things are going to play out next episode.

Personally Georgiou is a complicated character to get invested in, on one hand I do love a Terran being apart of the main cast in the Prime Universe, someone who isn't bound to the same morality and will often be antagonistic, and I do enjoy her butting heads with everyone; however, she is still a Terran, with all the horrific things that come with being a one, she wasn't a good person, and isn't interested in redeeming herself, and while I do like that she has changed from her time among the Discovery crew as she does show respect (in her own way) to Captain Saru, it's not through altruism.

However I'm glade that the Mirror Universe is still portrayed as a dark reflection of Humanity, and do make it clear that Georgiou isn't a good person, and in turn the story (so far) isn't going down the traditional redemption arc, it personally feels more like that the Federation ideals have "corrupted" her, and it's a interesting twist on the Mirror Universe stories of needing to blend in by having Georgiou who has always boasted about being Terran through and through, only for her to be constantly checking herself that "corruption" doesn't seep through.

There was also some really interesting lore drops at the beginning I liked, and ties back to something I posted earlier:
Link8909 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:33 pm Simple, Temporal Prime Directive, if they're not there then that's how history was suppose to go, and even when it's a time related issue usually the heroes of their respective series that come across a time problem sort it out for the Time Agents, and even then they can basically erase any trace that they were there, so what makes anyone think they didn't get involved with an important event in a series?
Because it's revealed that the Temporal Cold War not only was fought in the TNG era, but had agents from the Kelvin Timeline as well.

Also I love Carl, and much like the Mirror Universe I wasn't expecting them to find a gentleman in an armchair reading tomorrows newspaper next to a free standing door in the middle of nowhere, and I always love it when Star Trek does weird and unexplainable stuff like this.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

So whatever happened to Aditya Sahil? Was he ever mentioned again? You would think after Discovery found he Federation that at least Burnham would have gone back and told him or something.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Zatman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:38 pm So whatever happened to Aditya Sahil? Was he ever mentioned again? You would think after Discovery found he Federation that at least Burnham would have gone back and told him or something.
Yeah, I'd like to see him again before the season finally.

- Jean-Luc Picard
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Zatman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:38 pm So whatever happened to Aditya Sahil? Was he ever mentioned again? You would think after Discovery found he Federation that at least Burnham would have gone back and told him or something.
I'm a little inclined in thinking that Starfleet doesn't want to be called up by everyone operating the little outposts when they have a problem, in part, because they can't actually do anything most of the time. Better to let on the spot decision makers to operate without oversight than have them call for help and get "try again later".
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

They put him on a bus, only they forgot buses ain't airtight, so he died in space when he ran out of air.