Cyberpunk 2077

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nevix
Officer

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by Nevix »

I want to be interested in Cyberpunk 2077, but I lost most of my hype and developed a case of Hype Aversion during the last couple years of massive promotion and buildup to the release.

I haven't played it myself, but what I have seen on a friend's stream was good... after the initial couple days of massive instability.

I also can't get into the world because it's such a dystopia, and there's no joy in the world.

Personally, I am not a fan of works that start, wallow, and stay in misery for extended periods (unless they're very compelling/have other aspects to them, which I might be missing in Cyberpunk 2077), so I will pass on the game.

That being said, it looks like there's fun to be had for people who can get into the game, and much quality writing/story in there, so I hope everyone who does get it enjoys it.
Reality
Officer

Post by Reality »

I'm honestly shocked there are people on this forum who played a game the media said was "transphobic" and tried to cancel before its release, given the "quality" of goons that post.
Media has a Left-Wing bias
Reality has a Right-Wing one
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Reality
Officer

Post by Reality »

Beelzquill wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:21 pm Image
Reality is bait to people who refuse to live in it.
Media has a Left-Wing bias
Reality has a Right-Wing one
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Post by TexasRed »

I have played the game.
#1 The Transphobic stuff is bullshit, I'm sorry it just is, hell the subject is never even brought in game, and you can actively play a trans character if you so choose, and yes you even have an available romance option.

#2 Did anyone else pre-order Skyrim like I did? Yep I was one of those people and the bugs I've ran into in 2077 have been at worse comparative and at best humorous, but none have been game breaking.

#3 I have enjoyed the game immensely and am looking forward to expansions even though I'm nowhere close to being finished with all the game's gigs.
Nevix wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 am That being said, it looks like there's fun to be had for people who can get into the game, and much quality writing/story in there, so I hope everyone who does get it enjoys it.
The writing is great, and there are plenty of well thought out moral questions and straight up tearjerker moments.

Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Gotta say, hearing about all the epic mishaps has provided me with a good deal of Schadenfreude. You have to admit, it's pretty amusing that a game anticipated for half a decade was released with dicks that stick out of your pants.

Heads up tho, apparently the game can brick your Playstation.

Also less funny is the horrific abuses they put the workers through for "crunch time".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Note: Needed to make a number of corrections

A hilarious thing happened recently, a certain someone on twitter retweeted a review of the game that wasn't flattering of the game and some guy reacted negatively to that saying this:
"Funny, all the people who I know who've played it (on PC) love it, but they are fans of the genre and not Twitter complainers who whine because something wasn't exactly tailored for their wants,"
The hilarious part, that certain someone who retweeted that review was William Gibson, the man who popularized the entire Cyberpunk genre in fiction.
Last edited by BBally81 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

TexasRed wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:16 pm I have played the game.
#1 The Transphobic stuff is bullshit, I'm sorry it just is, hell the subject is never even brought in game, and you can actively play a trans character if you so choose, and yes you even have an available romance option.

#2 Did anyone else pre-order Skyrim like I did? Yep I was one of those people and the bugs I've ran into in 2077 have been at worse comparative and at best humorous, but none have been game breaking.

#3 I have enjoyed the game immensely and am looking forward to expansions even though I'm nowhere close to being finished with all the game's gigs.
Nevix wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 am That being said, it looks like there's fun to be had for people who can get into the game, and much quality writing/story in there, so I hope everyone who does get it enjoys it.
The writing is great, and there are plenty of well thought out moral questions and straight up tearjerker moments.
I have seen more of Cyberpunk 2077 now, and I've seen some really good scenes... and some "Oh, come on! Could we not go rule of drama and kill a bunch of people for the sake of dramatic effect?!" kind of moments.

I might have no interest, but that's not because I think it's bad. It's because the game is a poor match for me and my current wants in video games.
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Post by TexasRed »

Nevix wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:39 am
TexasRed wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:16 pm I have played the game.

I have seen more of Cyberpunk 2077 now, and I've seen some really good scenes... and some "Oh, come on! Could we not go rule of drama and kill a bunch of people for the sake of dramatic effect?!" kind of moments.

I might have no interest, but that's not because I think it's bad. It's because the game is a poor match for me and my current wants in video games.
Oh I completely understand dude. At the end of the day video games are forms of entertainment and just like all other forms they are completely subjective to the beholders. Actually your reasoning for not having great interest in 2077 is very similar to mine when it came to "the last of us" i.e. that game was way to depressing for me.
Despite that I have seen streams of the game and it seemed like a well made and gripping game, it just wasn't for me.

Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BBally81 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:24 am A hilarious thing happened recently, a certain someone on twitter posted his review of the game which he shows he was not particularly fond of the game and some guy reacted negatively to that saying how he was a whiney loser who didn't get the game and its theme.

The hilarious part, that certain someone who written that review was William Gibson, the man who popularized the entire Cyberpunk genre in fiction.
Art can transcend the artist, it happens all the time. Do you have a link at hand? I'd like to read his points. Or is this "recent review" in fact, Gibson's June 2018 comment about it looking like a GTA-clone?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox