Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

Post by clearspira »

This seems to be 99% confirmed at this point in that the BBC haven't confirmed it but all of my newsfeeds are rolling with it. Supposedly she's sick of the terrible ratings, terrible scripts and being hounded by fans for something that isn't really her fault.

True story: The very first post I ever made on these forums was to complain about the Doctor's sex change immediately after the news broke. If it wasn't for her, there is a good chance I wouldn't be here (I genuinely seem to remember that the first person I ever spoke to on here was Fuzzy :lol: Good times).

Anyway, it looks like nothing has changed. I am still here 3000 posts later talking about the same thing. This is the worst series of Dr Who ever, and she is the worst Dr Who ever. And if this news is true I am delighted. But despite what you may think my problems aren't just the sex change, I simply never bought her as the Doctor. The Doctor at his best has an aura about him, a certain charisma that let you believe that he was a 1000 years old and had been to a million planets. Call it what you like, but all of the best Doctors had it. And she didn't.

And sadly, I am also 100% certain that the BBC will double down on the wokeness. Calling it now: the next Doctor will be a black woman. Because plunging ratings are not an excuse to go back to what the fans want when there is a tickbox to be checked.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

Post by Thebestoftherest »

So what the problem with trying something other than white man, let's make the doctor as vanilla as possible.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

My understanding was that this is still just rumored, but let's just assume it's true: Doctor Who lead steps down after three seasons in the role! STOP THE PRESSES!!!
Veggietrekker
Redshirt

Post by Veggietrekker »

I am happy to see her leave/get the boot as whatever the case may be. When you have an iconic character I believe it is wrong to fundamentally change this character. James Bond is a man and Ellyn Ripley is a woman. Having Ripley be a man in a remake would not be alright and neither is having a female Bond take over the series. Making a character bi-sexual or homosexual is just as egregious. That said, the problem is not entirely Jodie Whitaker as Dr. Karen (Nerdrotic phrasing) but also the woke writing staff and their abuse of the English tax payers of which BBC is funded from. Let's hope the future is better and brighter for the show.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Veggietrekker wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:22 pm I am happy to see her leave/get the boot as whatever the case may be. When you have an iconic character I believe it is wrong to fundamentally change this character. James Bond is a man and Ellyn Ripley is a woman. Having Ripley be a man in a remake would not be alright and neither is having a female Bond take over the series. Making a character bi-sexual or homosexual is just as egregious. That said, the problem is not entirely Jodie Whitaker as Dr. Karen (Nerdrotic phrasing) but also the woke writing staff and their abuse of the English tax payers of which BBC is funded from. Let's hope the future is better and brighter for the show.
Except those characters are known as one role the Doctor ALWAYS was about change, The doctor was always William Hartnell, until Oct 29 1966 where he wasn't, the doctor was always play by an older actor until the fifth doctor and he was 29, the doctor always appear in the show until Paul McGann can we, and the doctor always was a younger man in the new series until Peter Capaldi. Why is having an innie instead of an outie really matters? And woke agenda, news flash Doctor who was always woke.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:17 pm My understanding was that this is still just rumored, but let's just assume it's true: Doctor Who lead steps down after three seasons in the role! STOP THE PRESSES!!!
My thoughts exactly.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I hope this isn't true because I don't want somebody else to leave an acting role because of harassment by an angry fanbase.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:22 am I hope this isn't true because I don't want somebody else to leave an acting role because of harassment by an angry fanbase.
I am with you there, there a lot of problem with Jodie run, she isn't one of them.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I never took issue with Jodi, but my god the show has been very bad at worst and boring at best. Sadly her departure won't change the real problems with the show. I'll miss Bradley Walsh, he at least seemed to have a damp spark of character but he certainly wasn't enough for me to seek out the New Year special. I lay the blame on Chibnal, his writing team, and the directives given to him by the BBC. Jodi could have made something from this with better stories and better direction, she's a proven actress.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I am glad they are making the tardis crew smaller even if it isn't enough for some. I just feel the scripts has more name characters than needed.