Can Raya and the Last Dragon Fix Disney's Villain Problem?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Can Raya and the Last Dragon Fix Disney's Villain Problem?

Post by Winter »

Let's be honest, Most Recent Disney Animated Films have not had the best villains. While Mother Gothel was a solid depiction of an abuser she didn't really have much, if any, real staying power. And after that most of the villains are twist villains that change to rapidly post twist and while I wouldn't call any of them bad none of them really stand out.

Part of this is down mainly due to the fact that more time is being spent on the heroes which, given that most of them are REALLY good (Elsa is currently my favorite character in the Disney Canon) I say that was time well spent. However, as of right now animated Disney films are in the same rut that the MCU was until Phase 3. The heroes are great but the villains just aren't that good and as a result the films has as a while feel like their missing something.

Most would agree that Phase 3 of the MCU is, currently, the best Phase of MCU and has most of the best Superhero movies of all time and big part of why many think that is down to the villains being a VAST Improvement to how they were handled in Phase 1 and 2. Kill Monger, Thanos, Ego and even Ghost are all considered to be just as well written as the heroes and given how popular said heroes are that's no small feet.

The creators have said that the main antagonist for Raya and the Last Dragon, Namaari, is basically the third protagonist of the film alongside Raya and Sisu AND that she is not to dissimilar to the aforementioned Kill Monger and Darth Vader. That's a bold claim and I'm interested to see if Namaari can live up to that.

The fact that she is being treated as just as important as Raya and Sisu is a good sign as that means that more attention should be put on her and her relationship with Raya. As I said I'm a little excited for Raya and the Last Dragon and the idea that we might have a villain or, at the very least, an antagonist that is as engaging as the heroes and if Raya and Sisu are as good as other resent Disney heroes then this could be AMAZING!!!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Can Raya and the Last Dragon Fix Disney's Villain Problem?

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah, I think the last memoriable Disney villain was Hades I believe.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Frollo was a damn good villain, but that was the 90's.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 am Yeah, I think the last memoriable Disney villain was Hades I believe.
Really? Because I'd put Dr. Facilier as a pretty great Disney villain.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:35 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 am Yeah, I think the last memoriable Disney villain was Hades I believe.
He definitely has a great design and a really underrated villain song but he's plan is, IMO, overly complicated and he's defeated a little to easily. Contrast him with, say, Killmonger from Black Panther. His goals are fairly simple as is his method of achieving said goal so more time is dedicated to fleshing out his character so he stands out more as a villain.

Falcilier had potential but the film kinda squandered it IMO so I do agree that Hades is still the last truly memorable villain. Namaari has the potential to be the Prince Zuko or Catra of Disney as there's a good chance of her starting off as a antagonist/villain but being redeemed and joining the heroes.

Also, and this is just me, but I'm already kinda onboard for the Raya and Namaari ship as from what little we've seen of the two interacting they already have FANTASTIC chemistry. I'll wait and see how good the chemistry is and how healthy the relationship could be but as of right now I do kinda want it to happen. :D
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:35 pm
Oh right.