Federation does have money.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
excalibur
Officer

Re: Federation does have money.

Post by excalibur »

Realistically, in a post scarcity civilization, there wouldn't be money like we would see it
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

I just think that they need to do something with the future of star trek and fix this obvious problem with it and establish how the economics of the future work
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I've wondered how they handle land without money. They may have zero population growth, or low enough that migration to colonies handles it, but is the population of Earth low enough that anyone who wants one can get a cabin like Kirk's in Generations? Or Joseph Sisko's restaurant? I'm not talking about the building materials or the skill in assembling it, but just surface area.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a committee somewhere that decides (using computers) who lives where, with people emigrating off-world if they really wanted that yard instead of an apartment on the 492nd floor.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

thats another thing that makes no sense while joseph sisko may like running his restaurant what about the suppliers of the food he needs regular and i suspect non replicator food stuffs as other wise why would sisko be cleaning clams out. Im just saying that having money that is optional makes more sense than not having any money.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

CharlesPhipps wrote:This is going to blow people's minds but....Star Trek has inconsistent writing.
This is the evolution of TV and poeple's tastes butting head.

In the late 50s everything but the most basic points of a show were up to each writer to meddle with. On Wagon Train it pissed Robert Horton off enough after he devoted so much time to his character that he took it upon himself to rewrite scripts to make sure he remained consistent.

That mentality remained up until the 90s and the change then rapidly swung to continuity. Where once TV was treated as stage watched from ones TV and as thin on realism as stage, it has now come more and more to try to imitate the nuances of real life for good and ill.

IMO, as much as realism and literalism have helped with verisimilitude it has eroded storytelling and buried symbolism deeper or made non-existent due to focus being drawn elsewhere.
excalibur wrote:Realistically, in a post scarcity civilization, there wouldn't be money like we would see it
Realistically, soceity would look nothing like the Federation if it was.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Beastro wrote:
excalibur wrote:Realistically, in a post scarcity civilization, there wouldn't be money like we would see it
Realistically, soceity would look nothing like the Federation if it was.
True
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
TheLibrarian
Redshirt

Post by TheLibrarian »

chaos42 wrote:Plus i hate to point this out ALL of the trade deals have to be done in some sort of currency because thats why money was invented.
Point of order: the Bronze Age civilizations of the eastern Mediterranean had extensive trade networks 500 years before the first currency was invented. You don't need to value trade goods according to some currency if the traders negotiate, e.g. I'll give you X jars of wine in exchange for Y baskets of woven cloth or 10 tonnes of unprocessed dilithium in exchange for 100 personal replicators with power sources or whatever. Even if currency is in play, whose do you use if the parties don't have an agreed upon standard? Their contracts are still going to specify X widgets in exchange for Y amount of unobtainium or whatever, even if their own respective bean counters are going to translate that to their own currencies for bookkeeping purposes.
Darth Wedgius wrote:I've wondered how they handle land without money. They may have zero population growth, or low enough that migration to colonies handles it, but is the population of Earth low enough that anyone who wants one can get a cabin like Kirk's in Generations? Or Joseph Sisko's restaurant? I'm not talking about the building materials or the skill in assembling it, but just surface area.
I've always wondered who decided Robert Picard could have acres and acres of vinyard in rural France, but Joseph Sisko only gets a medium-sized restaurant in downtown Orleans.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

TheLibrarian wrote:I've always wondered who decided Robert Picard could have acres and acres of vinyard in rural France, but Joseph Sisko only gets a medium-sized restaurant in downtown Orleans.
Easy. Robert Picard has an inheritance exception to his vineyard, while Joseph Sisko had to do with the regular land use limitations. Also because rural land grants are larger.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

I think Star Trek is in the early form of the concept of money, yes they are generating it but it hold no value yet. All it does it pile itself and figure out how to make something that hold value but can be easily changed to a value not consistent of concentrated change. I think Gene Roddenberry was trying to re-discover currency but failed miserably due to how a concept cannot hold value but the material can.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

King Green wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:30 am I think Star Trek is in the early form of the concept of money, yes they are generating it but it hold no value yet. All it does it pile itself and figure out how to make something that hold value but can be easily changed to a value not consistent of concentrated change. I think Gene Roddenberry was trying to re-discover currency but failed miserably due to how a concept cannot hold value but the material can.
What piece of Star Wars are you talking about?
..What mirror universe?