The Jurassic Park/World Franchise (spoilers!)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Zoinksberg
Officer

Re: The Jurassic Park/World Franchise (spoilers!)

Post by Zoinksberg »

There were things I genuinely enjoyed about FK, but there are some things that were absolutely stupid.

One of the moments that really stuck out to me was when Evil Game Hunter #1 stopped the truck with the Stego (I think) on it and pulled out some pliers. I think, "Ok, he's going to pull some thorn out or something to humanize his character just a bit." Of course not, tooth necklace. Because he is a generic bad guy. Somewhat on that topic I'm also in awe at how in The Lost World the tranquilizer was realistic and deadly to humans and in this one it is just an off-button hypospray that works on anything except the scariest dinosaur. You could probably shoot a mouse and an elephant at the same time and they would both wake up from their naps at the same time with a mild headache.

I explained Lockwood's death scene to my brother as, "I just found out you are doing something incredibly immoral and illegal in my basement. So I have invited you here to confront you with nobody else around. Now I haven't informed the authorities because I believe that you, someone who has already shown his willingness to do awful things, will use that phone over there to turn yourself in. I also have put a pillow beneath the phone for your convenience." At that point he laughed and I had to explain to him that the pillow thing wasn't a joke.

The Indo should have eaten Maisie. It would have been horrible but the eventual death count would have been far lower. It can be argued that Nick Van Owen was or wasn't responsible for the rampage in San Diego with his actions, but there is no argument that every death from the epilogue on, less the Mosasaur, is directly linked to her action.

If I ranked them it would be JP-JW-LW-FK-JP3, but there is a very large gap between the first and second, and the last and second to last. Nothing has come close to the original, but nothing has felt as disappointing as JP3.