TOS Alternate Monster Costumes

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: TOS Alternate Monster Costumes

Post by Yukaphile »

That's not a Horta...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 pm That's not a Horta...
It horta looks like one.
Power laces... alright.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 pm Here's something I'd generally advise doing if I was in charge of TOS costumes - making something more like the Daleks on Doctor Who. Their design was timeless and unique. In TOS, it was mostly only ever humanoids, and more humanoids.
Both shows were running and seemed to be aware of one another. I read in a making of Doctor Who they wanted a glowing hand to reach out and catch the Tardis but nixed it when someone pointed out Star Trek did it already. So sadly Trek was denied daleks and cybermen because the BBC got there first. Robbie the robot and not sure on timing, but the robot from Lost in Space were considered very expensive and would keep turning up as a recycled prop. Not sure how they would get away with making multiples of such a costume.

I am not saying you are wrong. I just am not sure how they would pull it off with a 60's scifi budget.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I was talking recently at dinner that Star Trek always seems to be choked somewhat by its budget. Like to this day. Hemsworth and Pine and jumping ship. The talk about First Contact needing to be discreet with their whole production outline. The dastardly contrast between the TNG bridge on the show from the movie, not to mention pre First Contact borg. Then the granddaddy of them all.

Interesting though that this has always been the exact opposite of Star Wars. After the first Star Wars film, the movie bankrolled Lucas and Fox. Lucas started ILM, and pretty much carried out a wet dream with the prequels.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh TOS seemed choked on its budget? At least the TOS fight scenes looked convincing. I've seen two seasons of Classic Who. The fight scenes are a joke, to put it mildly. It's people tapping one another and acting as if it's a SERIOUS BLOW TM.

It's also ironic they're worried about copying each other given... well, Planet Vulcan appears in both series, lol.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I'm gonna go with "things I disagree with Yuka about" for $400, Alex.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Ah, I love Jeopardy.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:42 pm Oh TOS seemed choked on its budget? At least the TOS fight scenes looked convincing. I've seen two seasons of Classic Who. The fight scenes are a joke, to put it mildly. It's people tapping one another and acting as if it's a SERIOUS BLOW TM.
Uhm? You mean look good on a small CRT screen right? Shatner once nearly got into a real fight and almost tried a Kirk trick. That double foot kick. And realized that falling to the ground infront of someone wanting to hurt you was a bad idea.

On the other hand one of the looked fake moves actually worked in a fight I know of. The roll onto your back and shove your foot in the attackers stomach to throw him over you. . . I really need to learn the names of these things. :?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Kirk vs. the Eminiar guards and Kirk vs. Khan look far more realistic than anything I've seen outside "The Web Planet" thus far. Especially really early on, like in "The Keys of Marinus," where it's so obvious you're just lightly brushing someone with this object, and acting as if you got brained. Even for the sixties, you could do better.