The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by Yukaphile »

I've done some digging. This legitimately seems like the only type of Legends adaptation we are ever going to get. Again, I don't want it, but people like Winter do. They're gonna steal from Legends heavily, most certainly, and the original authors will not get paid their due royalties. But they're bringing back Mara Jade and this is set five years after Endor. If Mara Jade leaves to go explore some threat beyond the rim, that could be interesting. Or if she dies. Problem is the sequel trilogy has kind of locked them into a path I don't think they want to take. It's just going to lead to more problems than it will anything else. It's gonna contribute more to the "let's burn down your nostalgia to make money" agenda Last Jedi firmly locked into people's minds. Legends fans will be hungrier for more, and if you are not working on legitimate Legends content alongside this Legends mishmash bastardized into NuCanon this is then what is the point? You have two years to the next movie! So there is no excuse this time. It reminds me of how Chuck described the years Voyager was on the air. They don't care about continuity, they don't care about anything but making money. Who is this marketed to, really, past "we need to try and survive the inevitable decline of the movie theater!"? It may be a legitimate timeline unfolding, but it feels so MEH. More proof they are completely out of touch in their elite power structure. It's sad when amateur fan projects on YouTube are outperforming them. In a way, Winter, this feels like the Thrawn adaptation you want, but won't actually get. They don't care.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Personally I think that The Mandalorian seems really good. Then again I admit that i am fan of mandalorians which is why one of my favorite characters from Rebels main cast was one. Granted I am not biggest Boba Fett fan even after learning why Jango Fett wanted unaltered clone that is Boba Fett.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, at least it's gonna be distinct from Legends since the sequels has locked them into that path. My only concern is what they intend to do in bringing back Legends characters. This is their basic disconnect. They want Star Wars to stay the same, but to also grow and evolve, given how much money is on the line. And I dislike Mara Jade being brought back. But I do like the idea of doing something new with her. Though really, the cherry-picking of Legends needs to stop. It's part of their half-assed approach. It's why they've gotten such hate. Legends is just easter eggs now, and for those non-EU casuals, it's gonna be more bleakness because we are watching these beloved characters... go the route of the prequels, fall to darkness, fail to save the galaxy. It seems they wanna take what they can from Legends while using The Mandalorian to explain what Last Jedi did. I dunno. Who are they gonna get to play the younger characters? Solo proved that's a bad idea. This is five years after Endor. You can't just get the older actors. And even if you could CGI younger faces onto them, only Mark Hamill would be available, and for that poor man, it's more Luke falling into darkness and chaos, more of what he probably does not want. Harrison Ford is not interested. And Carrie Fisher is dead. So really, what the hell are they going to do? Hell, Mara Jade might not even be married to Luke here. And yet, I still feel happy at all this. This darkness they are pushing on us, because it's giving so much validation to Legends. The darkness people hate? The character assassinations? There is an alternative to fans out there... and that's only a good thing.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

From the trailers it seems to have a lot of the same vibe as the Bounty Hunter class story in the MMO. I kinda wonder if they used it for inspiration, but it's probably just a result of both drawing on a lot of old-west gunfighter tropes.

Find out in a few days I guess.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wait, is that when it lands? Oh dear... here we go...

But hey, maybe with a few more years dedicated to making their movies, then they can give fans some Legends content too past a game that's part of a proven popular success. Now granted, it doesn't have to be anything huge. But with more time, they could write a novel here or there, or a small comic mini-series. Legends fans deserve better than to be thrown away, but then, that is how fans felt with Last Jedi. At least of a specific demographic and over a certain age range, and I'd dare argue they're a lot larger than people like Mecha82 think. Seriously, two years between each movie? It's just... where the hell is this franchise going? Not even under George was it this scatter-brained, and that was mostly because he WANTED to break boundaries. Fear and a contradictory "let's evolve the brand but keep it the same" approach is exaggerating it past even Lucas's excesses.

And an Old Republic project, really? OMG... I think I see what they're doing now. It will probably be Legends, same as any remastering of the KOTOR games, but then... I'm also a bit concerned they're gonna put that Old Republic adaptation into the new canon, or will they say it's both? But then how can they do that? That won't hold up to scrutiny unless it's damned consistent, and I doubt it will be. It's clear the post-Endor era is being hit the hardest because they just really wanted to cash in on nostalgia by bringing back the old actors, and rebooting A New Hope, and that just killed their chances at plotting a future for this franchise. I've already listed the ways it made Luke into the new Obi-Wan and the new Yoda with no buildup, so we didn't buy it. Really, they're just... they haven't learned anything! They are constantly rushing us with new material, spamming us! Two years between movies won't make a difference. Shit, Lucas couldn't do jack with just three when it came to the prequels! It really seems similar to the corporate mentality of ad-marketing. Bombard people with it, so they'll buy it, or they will forget it. It's why they just could not let Trek end with Voyager, they HAD to create Enterprise. This franchise is on a downward spiral to hell, and you can blame corporate greed. :lol: Not SJW politics (flaws that would otherwise be easy to overlook in a good movie), nothing past a sterile rehash of the same old, same old.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So the first episode is out now and it is absolutely freaking amazing... assuming you like old gunslinger movies. Which I personally do, but if you don't I think there's going to be much there for you. This is old-fashioned "gunslinger as Knight Errant" stuff cut with Sergio Leone and done by people who clearly love both Star Wars and the Western genre. If you don't like that kind of thing you'll probably hate it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Sergio Leone isn't bad inspiration at all for series about Bounty Hunter. Bringing that into modern day and with SW is something that I am interested to watch.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

I watched episode one. And...well, it was good. Good enough. It's very much a space western...but that's not a bad spot for Star Wars. It seems to be very much set in Star Wars to Return of the Jedi in terms of visuals, call backs and easter eggs. Most all of the droids and aliens are ones you'd see in the first three films. Every planet is...a wretched hive of scum and villainy with the same bar: BUT it does stand to reason that a lot of such places look the same and even more so the Mandalorian would go to such places.

So far....well, we have not see any of the Poloticaly Correct Disney stuff. The actors are a mix of colors...and there is one female. We have an evil white guy...maybe. And so far we don't have Z'oee the little girl ''best sharp shooter in the universe'' or anything like that.....but time will tell.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Since when has having actors with mix of colors and one female considered to be PC? Some people have really loose opinion what PC is.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Er, I said we have NOT see the PC stuff yet......maybe it will come, maybe they will just make a TV show.