Watching first season TNG

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Watching first season TNG

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:47 pm This should be in the sci-fi section.
Have you yourself never made a mistake?
Power laces... alright.
Valdagast
Redshirt

Post by Valdagast »

Can we get a moderator to move it?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Valdagast wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 pm
Can we get a moderator to move it?
Once a thread has 12 posts then it is locked and nobody can move it. Not even Chuck.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

So... like your mom?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Valdagast
Redshirt

Post by Valdagast »

The most entertaining thing with first season TNG is the translation to Swedish.

"Away party" = roughly "a party for those who are leaving"
"Away team" = roughly "visiting team (sports)"
"We have something dead astern" = roughly "we have a dead thing astern"
And of course, the delusion that's there's someone named Helm who pilots the ship...
Valdagast
Redshirt

Post by Valdagast »

In "The Icarus Factor" we learn that Pulaski's greatest skill is her empathy.

Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:28 pm Once a thread has 12 posts then it is locked and nobody can move it. Not even Chuck.
*Cough* 8-)
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Valdagast wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:03 pm God, season one is a wasteland devoid of entertainment. But I want to make two contentious observations:

1) Wil Wheaton is not a terrible actor.
2) Wesley is not a terrible character.

Wesley is not a great character, but compared to... say... certain other characters (Jar-Jar) he is a beacon of light. Yes, wunderchild is irritating but compared to the power of bad comedy... (and I'm not talking just Jar-Jar here - bad comedy is so much worse than anything else.)
Posting this without reading the rest of the forum, but what I resented of Wesley wasn't so much what Wheaton did with the character or the character itself, but what was clearly being forced upon the audience through the character.

The show contrived to get him on the bridge and wormed into the higher matters of the ship when a damn kid had no business there. Like a good but annoying kid, it isn't the characters fault or the actors by the parents/showrunners to keep pushing him on us insisting he was amazing and to be in awe of him.

Dealing with Wesley as the audience is the TV version of being an older child heading out on an adventure with your friends only for your mother to push a young sibling out the door ordering you to take them with you to do stuff they can enjoy too. You don't hate your sibling, but you hate them being imposed upon you when they shouldn't be there especially because they're ruining your fun.

Personally, I felt bad for Wesley in a lot of episodes.

Looking back, I never actually got why producers do this in show, especially on kids show. Take Spike on Transformers. I don't want to deal with human beings, I wanna see the fricking Transformers! I wouldn't want a kid on GI Joe, or any other kids show that doesn't require one, because I watched those kind of shows to see adult characters to do cool, fun things I'd love to make believe doing myself as an adult through child eyes, same as in Star Trek or any other adult shows with a high appealing factor to kids.
Valdagast wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:31 pm Absolutely. Now, a Wesley character - young, inexperienced, but brilliant - could work very well. I think the Wesley of "First Duty" could have been a boon rather than a drag on the show. But maybe he would step on Riker's toes too much; that's kind of his shtick as well.
Then put him in the position of being the newly assigned, inexperienced, fresh ensign that got his commission, not a kid whose literally gets forced on the bridge crew to baby sit at times.
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 am So... like your mom?
If you're gonna snipe, mix it into something relevant. I'd personally like to see this place as one where people would stick to their points and not simply trade insults around like I've been seeing lately.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Beastro wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:03 am
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 am So... like your mom?
If you're gonna snipe, mix it into something relevant. I'd personally like to see this place as one where people would stick to their points and not simply trade insults around like I've been seeing lately.

If the Smasher feels hurt, then you should leave it to him to be outraged. He apparently doesn't, so maybe it was no insult in the first place?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

In my personal opinion, many substandard season 1 TNG episodes would have made great season 5 episodes. It wasn't the stories themselves that sucked it was the overall execution.

The drugs episode ''Symbiosis'' for example: as it stands, heavy handed, heavy on bad special effects, heavy on eighties hair. But done well and the concept of the breaking the symbiotic relationship and possibly dooming the world that is completely reliant on slave labour to reveal the truth to the other is an interesting moral question.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.