I need help to reconfigure the Stargate devices (fanfiction discussion)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: I need help to reconfigure the Stargate devices (fanfiction discussion)

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:39 pm So, just charge it up with plasma. Cool. What types should I use? Remember there are six foldspace membranes in the larger foldspace universe. And within one, it's literal time travel, between the Star Wars realm (3,000,000,000 years in the past and light-years away), and the Star Trek galaxy (in the 24th century).
Well, make it something that vaporizes at a reasonable temperature. The heat requires to vaporize tungsten would be outrageous; the heat to turn it into a plasma would be worse. You'll probably want to channel the plasma to the gate in an evacuated tube (vacuum) but that's not completely necessary. You could put a plasma emitter right next to the gate, but you probably wouldn't want to do that with a plasma made from a flammable element like hydrogen

I'd use helium. As long as some part of the gate is cooler than the helium plasma, the heat in the plasma can theoretically be used for energy.

Here is a table to the minimum energy to turn the elements into a plasma: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionization_energies_of_the_elements_(data_page)[/url]
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm mostly trying to think in terms of how it ties into the other five iterations, from the sixth one.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

In Stargate canon, running a stargate's wormhole past a star with a solar flare lets you travel in time, and running it past a black hole lets you cross into other universes (though the universes shown were very close to the setting we saw, with their own SG-1 teams).

For specific ties to your settings, I know some of Trek (the series up to but not including Discovery), some of Stargate (SG-1 and Atlantis), and the first five Star Wars films, and that's it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Actually, my universe's mechanics is pretty easy to grasp. The Q reconfigured the ancient progenitor universe into the foldspace universe at the start of the original Big Bang. Over 140,000,000,000,000 years, it expands out and bounces back in halfway along, but then it folds off in the next expansion, so the first universe keeps going in an endless cycle of Big Bounces, but it clones off another foldspace iteration that does the same, and that second one splits off into another at 140,000,000,000,000 years. Whenever a foldspace iteration is spawned, it only comes from the latest down the line. For clarity, since there are six foldspace iterations, then the first one, the Star Trek/Star Wars universe, has had a Big Bounce six times.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm thinking a gate charged up on plasma could head to other universes from being directed towards the right black hole. Hell, perhaps the Alterans in the Belkan Empire had devices meant to hook them up to other realities as a means to traverse the foldspace universe.