Just For Fun What are Your Least Favorite Star Wars Stories?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Just For Fun What are Your Least Favorite Star Wars Stories?

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, KOTOR 2 did that long before Last Jedi, and much more effectively - and it was rushed to meet a deadline! And hundreds of millions saw Last Jedi. Compared to them, nobody knows about KOTOR 2, especially given that it was a dark twin sequel to KOTOR 1, which most prefer, so it already has the potential to be disregarded. Really, I don't get how Johnson didn't see that? Kudos to the man for being honest about their agenda, but damn it, he should have known it would end badly. And I will maintain that you could challenge the audience while being that overt. When they show them burning down Jedi relics, Luke tossing away his lightsaber, and have themes like "let the past end," you are essentially validating all the criticism you have had since 2014. You axed Legends, it's gone, so you killed the past. Nostalgia is definitely a trap, but they flat-out made Luke into somebody he was never meant to be. And because the "buildup" will come after the fact and not prior, most won't accept it. Especially if, as seems likely to my view, they bring back Mara Jade to tie into Luke's past in Disney canon so that she either dies or, as seems more likely, dumps him for some reason, maybe to investigate some threat past the rim. Of course the anti-Feminists will insist that it's more "shoving men aside to pander to women and Feminists" agenda, but in truth, I do like that idea, the inversion of Legends. Luke dies and Mara Jade comes back. That'd be pretty awesome. It's doing something new with the post-Endor period, while nothing prior to it will be any different. Just the same old, same old. My only wish is if they are going to be that dedicated to incorporating the new EU into their "canon" movies, then why not do the same for Legends? We built this franchise, treat it with some goddamned respect, please.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Gridlock1987
Redshirt

Post by Gridlock1987 »

Book - Death Troopers - I should know better, considering I don't like zombies... But was curious anyway. A horror story in SW universe? Sure, lets give it a try. In the end, the only good thing about this book, is that it's short.

Comic book - Dark Empire - terribely written, meh kind of a story, that was more concerned in one uping the movies, than anything else. My favorite part is how Luke meets the love of his life... For half an issue, before they kill her, and is barelly mentioned after. But I do like the art, it's mostly what keept me reading it. And Eclipse is beautiful, menacing ship.

Movie - Attack of the Clones - it's not just a bad Star Wars movie, it's a bad movie period.

Video Game - Force Unleashed (1 & 2) - A secret, ridiculously overpowered apprentice of Darth Vader, with a callsign that a 7-year-old could have thought up, so awesome he kicks both Palpatine and Vaders ass AT THE SAME TIME, and them proto-Rebels are so inspired by his death, that they decide to start rebellion "for realzies this time, yo!", and use his family crest as the official logo. Because Starkiller was. Just. That. COOL. If anyone thinks, that Rey is a mary sue, check out this guy.

Cartoons - Resistance - gave up after 4 episodes, didn't hate it, just couldn't find anything in it to care about.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Gridlock1987 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:13 pm My favorite part is how Luke meets the love of his life... For half an issue, before they kill her, and is barelly mentioned after.
They did a variant of that in Children of the Jedi / Darksaber too, although I remember hearing they brought Callista back much later.

Come to think of it, I'm adding Darksaber to my list. It's exactly the kind of silliness that people who never read Legends think Legends is.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Which story is that? Do you mean Lumiya?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Episode 1 Pod Racer
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You mean that old N64 game? OH HELL YES! I love that. :D
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Movie: https://i.imgur.com/W0hHe3v.jpg

Book: I gave up when the license changed publishers, and only read the stuff between Heir to the Empire and Vision of the Future... hrrm. Some of the individual stories in Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina are really bad but for a whole book I gotta second Crystal Star. It legitimately feels like someone took a story they already had and name-changed some stuff to sell it as Star Wars, it makes no sense next to the books around it in the continuity, I swear that EVERY alien and character they give any focus besides the main cast are completely new and appear nowhere else, and it's very much about the sci-fi threat and not anything related to the galaxy or character relationships.
Learning the author did work on Trek novels explains a lot.

Comics: hmm. I've only read modern stuff actually there, and only for about two years. Nothing is really jumping out at me? I guess the Han Solo limited which I didn't really get into enough to bother finishing so that seems relevant.

Games: God, playing the demo for Masters of Teras Kasi might be enough to qualify, but that feels dishonest. Probably Rebel Assault 1 I guess? Just for being kinda bland, short, and not nearly as fun-camp as the sequel.

TV: I mean, I've seen 8ish episodes of Ewoks, and Clone Wars and Rebels are good! I guess maybe Resistance sucks and I've been told Droids is somehow the weaker of the two mid-80s cartoons but... yeah.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:11 pm You mean that old N64 game? OH HELL YES! I love that. :D
Yes not the PC version.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's underrated, imo.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

The Phantom Menace: A complete and utter waste of time that ensured that none of the major relationships needed to carry the prequels would ever work and it set up the trend of the prequels having more or less one off baddies with limited substance and personality to serve as the heavy, while also adding in a pointless prophesy that added nothing to the character of Darth Vader or Anakin Skywalker.

Attack of the Clones: Unfocused, bad dialogue, and basically undermined the entire point of the prequels by making it from a story of a good man that became a monster to a story of a monster that became a worst monster with a helmet by having Anakin massacre women and children.