How the HELL did Jack do it? (Stargate Discussion)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: How the HELL did Jack do it? (Stargate Discussion)

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:29 am I expect this kinda shit from Voyager. Not Stargate.
Sorry, but SG-1 is very status-quo-preserving episodic for most of its run. Very little is allowed to change, aside from tent-pole events usually related to season finales. They'll remember an artifact or adversary when relevant for a "sequel" episode, and the characters grow and change, but that's about it, at least until the network shift. They almost never are allowed to acquire new technology until then, and nothing flows directly into the next episode unless it's explicitly a multiparter outside of those finale ramp-ups.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:31 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:29 am I expect this kinda shit from Voyager. Not Stargate.
Sorry, but SG-1 is very status-quo-preserving episodic for most of its run. Very little is allowed to change, aside from tent-pole events usually related to season finales. They'll remember an artifact or adversary when relevant for a "sequel" episode, and the characters grow and change, but that's about it, at least until the network shift. They almost never are allowed to acquire new technology until then, and nothing flows directly into the next episode unless it's explicitly a multiparter outside of those finale ramp-ups.
This is definitely true in terms of specific technologies and their being forgotten or only re-used when convenient.

In a more generalized sense, however, I'm hard-pressed to think of a series where the balance of power shifts more in favor for the protagonists than SG-1. They gradually, steadily go from being unable to compete against the Goa'uld at all (outside subterfuge) to being a dominant superpower in the galaxy. I almost think things changed too much for the show's own good.
The owls are not what they seem.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

So far the only two glaring examples are "Chain Reaction," which has been addressed, and "The Curse," which has not.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
LiteYear
Redshirt

Post by LiteYear »

I didn't really see the end of "The Curse" as a direct cliffhanger, but instead as more of a set-up for future events. It was alluded to that she was taking the time building up a power base, and in "Summit", was approached by Lord Straw Hat to serve under Anubis. I think Osiris was intended to have a bigger role (and heck, her ship had a decent role in Season 8), but I believe I remember reading that there were some scheduling problems, which likely is why her arc was closed off in "Chimera".