What are your Thoughts on the Star Wars Disney Sequel Trilogy

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: What are your Thoughts on the Star Wars Disney Sequel Trilogy

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, the bashing on Legends just needs to FUCKING STOP. "Questionable quality?" I mean, no shit something that dense has a few bad lemons among the mix. And God forbid the new material has its own stories of "questionable quality." But to say the Jedi Apprentice series is on par with Jedi Prince is purely criticizing for its own sake. And hey, Mecha82, you actually like the new movies, despite how slavishly they adhere to the past for people who said they needed their "creative freedom." Again, if you like Rise of Skywalker, why would you hate Dark Empire? Winter said Rise of Skywalker caused a new appreciation for Dark Empire.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: What are your Thoughts on the Star Wars Disney Sequel Trilogy

Post by Yukaphile »

I think George Lucas summed it up best. He always tried to do something new, and the older EU bears that out. Literally, what the FUCKING HELL is WRONG with Truce at Bakura past "I don't like it?" Because, you know, taste is subjective. Have you even READ those stories recently? And yes, I have read Truce at Bakura. I like the Ssi-ruuk. They are a fresh enemy that's worthy of the mythos. New EU, new movies? Is literally just a rehash of Rebels vs. Empire. It is what they have focused almost exclusively on since 2008, and since the 2014 reboot. When are you gonna get something new... oh wait, seems every time they do try a new enemy, MINDLESS FANS TRASH IT FOR NO GOOD REASON! Because it's too "new." In that sense, Disney's approach is perhaps fitting after all. Just repackage it as "Rebels vs. Empire," slap a movie title on it, and boom. Instant profit.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords