What Makes the MCU Work?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: What Makes the MCU Work?

Post by Makeshift Python »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:40 pm Marvel works because they remembered to have fun and put colour in their movies.
You have to save Martha.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:42 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:40 pm Marvel works because they remembered to have fun and put colour in their movies.
You have to save Martha.
Why did you say that name!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:42 pm
You have to save Martha.
Save Mothra she actually cares for human lives.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

The Green Lantern movie was fun and colorful.

I submit it's a tad more complex.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Thebestoftherest
Captain

GreyICE wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:37 am
The Green Lantern movie was fun and colorful.

I submit it's a tad more complex.
Yeah but like Thor the dark world they took two good story ideas and put them together and didn't get recess. More like ice cream and steak.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I actually look forward to the new cut of JUSTICE LEAGUE because I'm just a sucker for alternate cuts of existing films. That said, I have no expectations of it being half-way decent, and suspect the theatrical version was the best patch job the studio could possibly do, which ain't much.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

That is actually fair. I have no interest in it, and wait for it to come out and be forgotten.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Let me start my answer to this with a question. Why is the DCAU so good, even compared to their movies?
The answer is that instead of episodes all being stand alone affairs they kept most episodes to be a story or a chapter in an on going arc. So you did not have to cram in who everyone was and explore every character all at once. The individual episodes were written with thought and some humor as well as seriousness. And they borrowed upon their own source elements. One example being John Stewart having detonated a planet and standing trial. They took that idea and shaped an episode about it. And showed how the team will work together and highlighting character. Green Lantern felt he had to stand trial. It was the responsible thing to do. Flash was over his head but stands up for his friends. Even in the face of death.

Then you look at the MCU. Ironman, introduce the character and get an idea who he is. Same with Thor and Captain America. Smaller side characters can be introduced but do not take the lime light from the main character. IE Black Widow and Hawkeye. And there will be some element to tie each part together. Nothing fancy but a minor little knot. So when Avengers hits it is not about introducing Ironman or Captain America to the audiences. It is about how they interact while handling the problem of the movie. And this plays to the strengths of both movies and TV by being able to give you tons of information and character building so when the finger snaps happen you felt it.

DC, okay we had a Superman movie, let's tie that to Batman and you know what shove Wonder Woman and Aquaman in there as well. They went for an Avengers movie out the gate without the build up and most of it felt like. 'Sell toys first, tell a story third or fourth'. And as Chuck has pointed out in his reviews of Transformers (with asides to GiJoe) and MLP. Marketing is half baked about sell the shiny gun that turns into a robot, or this pink pony. But story say this is Megatron and that is Princess Cadence. You go for the character not the glitter. Or an older franchise, who is the brown guy again? He looks boring, and the one in the white tunic is lame. But Obi Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker fly off the shelves.

TL;DR MCU works because it used the strengths of episodic and movie formula to make good stories. DC tried to sell flash.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yeah, and it doesn't help that the DC films are kinda ugly.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Really I don't mind that Superman killed Zod in MoS.
Power laces... alright.