My Biggest Issue with Zuko's Redemption Arc

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Muzer
Redshirt

Re: My Biggest Issue with Zuko's Redemption Arc

Post by Muzer »

I really don't see that as inconsistency. I think it's all too easy to find yourself in a place in life where you think you're comfortable, but still be able to be tempted by something else — that other thing making you suddenly start to second guess your own comfort, especially when it's what you believe you "wanted all along". Azula was there offering what he had been chasing for years of his life. Personally the unrealistic thing for me would be for him NOT to accept that...
Winter
Captain

Re: My Biggest Issue with Zuko's Redemption Arc

Post by Winter »

Muzer wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:49 pm I really don't see that as inconsistency. I think it's all too easy to find yourself in a place in life where you think you're comfortable, but still be able to be tempted by something else — that other thing making you suddenly start to second guess your own comfort, especially when it's what you believe you "wanted all along". Azula was there offering what he had been chasing for years of his life. Personally the unrealistic thing for me would be for him NOT to accept that...
To switch series in Game of Thrones Ned Stark's death is one of the more shocking moments in that series but it IS set up over the course of the season so when it happens it's shocking but looking back you can see it being set up literally until the very moment Joffrey orders the execution. Again, most of season 2 DOES make it clear that Zuko isn't happy with how his life is turning out, even calling Ba Sing Se a prison. Then, in the 3 episodes leading up to his bad choice he's suddenly completely at peace and is okay with his life in Ba Sing Se and then BOMB he regresses and makes the wrong choice.

All that would need to happen is to show him frowning after he stops talking with Iroh to show that he's just putting on a smile for his uncles sake. But we don't get any hint that Zuko is unhappy and acts like a completely different person for the most of the end of Book 2. Again, I love this series and Zuko is a great character but I still have an issue with this moment.