Is Cloud Strife Transgender?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Is Cloud Strife Transgender?

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:31 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:21 am
clearspira wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:32 pm He's a guy who was forced into a dress because ''ha ha man in dress be funny.'' And even then, you honestly think that this was on anyone's mind back in 1997? Any ''trans symbolism'' is in the minds of people today.
I mean the cyperpunk genre (and punk culture in general) that the game pulls heavily from has had trans elements and themes baked in pretty much since it's inception in the 70's, so yeah. It would be reasonable to assume it was on the writers' minds.
How big was cyberpunk in Japan back in 1997?
Ghost in the Shell was at its peak of popularity, Akira and Neo-Tokyo were a decade old. Pretty damn big.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

mathewgsmith wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:28 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:31 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:21 am
clearspira wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:32 pm He's a guy who was forced into a dress because ''ha ha man in dress be funny.'' And even then, you honestly think that this was on anyone's mind back in 1997? Any ''trans symbolism'' is in the minds of people today.
I mean the cyperpunk genre (and punk culture in general) that the game pulls heavily from has had trans elements and themes baked in pretty much since it's inception in the 70's, so yeah. It would be reasonable to assume it was on the writers' minds.
How big was cyberpunk in Japan back in 1997?
Ghost in the Shell was at its peak of popularity, Akira and Neo-Tokyo were a decade old. Pretty damn big.
Serial Experiments Lain was also a year away.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

If you really want to follow this cyberpunk thing to it's conclusion, from Wikipedia:
The game is noted for its cyberpunk themes, with GamesRadar+ calling it one of the best games of the genre, and Harry Mackin of Paste Magazine comparing its cyberpunk city of Midgar to Akira and Blade Runner.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

After saying all that, no I don't think he's trans. I think it's just part of the "outgrowing toxic masculinity" thing he's got going on.

Now Aerith, that's a character it's easy to read as trans. She's basically a collection of "trans women writing trans women" cliches. Haircut that frames the face, loves chokers, skirts with combat boots, enthusiastically knowledgeable about how to feminize Cloud's appearance, anti-authoritarian political activism...
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

mathewgsmith wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:17 pm After saying all that, no I don't think he's trans. I think it's just part of the "outgrowing toxic masculinity" thing he's got going on.

Now Aerith, that's a character it's easy to read as trans. She's basically a collection of "trans women writing trans women" cliches. Haircut that frames the face, loves chokers, skirts with combat boots, enthusiastically knowledgeable about how to feminize Cloud's appearance, anti-authoritarian political activism...
I read that too but wanted to focus on Cloud as he is the main character and his overall arc could be seen as trans coded. Either case I like that people who are trans identify with these characters which is always a good sign of a character when anyone can see themselves in them. :D
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think the fact he did it under circumstances beyond his control is proof enough he isn't.