Gene Roddenberry, Pervert

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Gene Roddenberry, Pervert

Post by Darth Wedgius »

drewder wrote:One reference that is pretty clear is his 1970s sexploitation movie "Pretty maids all in a row" that stars a high school gym teacher who has sex with a bunch of his students and encourages a male student to bed one of the female teachers. Strangely enough it also stars Scotty.
And now every time I hear "She canne take the strain" I'm going to be thinking of this. :cry:
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Darth Wedgius wrote:
drewder wrote:One reference that is pretty clear is his 1970s sexploitation movie "Pretty maids all in a row" that stars a high school gym teacher who has sex with a bunch of his students and encourages a male student to bed one of the female teachers. Strangely enough it also stars Scotty.
And now every time I hear "She canne take the strain" I'm going to be thinking of this. :cry:

I'm giving her all she's got...
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

lsgreg wrote:I think he was more a product of his time. There are a lot of undertones with a lot of shows from the 50's and 60's that he kinda carried along even into the TNG. The original pilot actually had Majel as the first officer which was unheard of at the time. I keep thinking of Gene carrying on a Mad Men type office.
Not in the corner or the West my family is from.

Being a product of Hollywood had more to do with it than the era he was born into.
Agent Vinod wrote:So in what way was old rod a perv? How was his sexuality different than the one found in most males?
I really hate that mentality when taken to that extent, especially when Hollywood culture is taken as a predominant one in times past as it is now.

And I speak coming from a family who's history surrounding my maternal-grandfathers birth is shady, paternal side were "Old German" in every bit of meaning of the phrase and who's uncle from a certain messed up part of Serbia's family and it's dysfunction bordered on barbarism where the cattle were more valued than women.
ranging from Errol Flynn's exploits all the way up to Bill Cosby.
Clark Gable's supposide rape of Loretta Young too.

It's not simply that Hollywood's always been the way it's been up to this day, but that acting leans that way. It's why for God knows how long actors were held in comtempt at the lowest levels, distrusted for their gift and ease at what could otherwise be called lying until the 1920s.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

wat
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
APlotdevice
Redshirt

Post by APlotdevice »

SlackerinDeNile wrote:Didn't he come up with the original concept for Andromeda? I wonder how much his ideas for it differed from Robert Hewitt Wolfe's.
I’m more curious of what direction the series would have taken if it hadn’t evolved into Hercules in space. But that’s another topic.