I hear a Babylon 5 reboot is in the works

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: I hear a Babylon 5 reboot is in the works

Post by hammerofglass »

Unless they completely change the Earth plot I think we can safely assume conservatives are gonna be mad no matter what. What with the guys who repeat conservative talking points being depicted as Nazi wannabes in league with Space Satan.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Calling me a toxic fan? For not wanting a split fandom? And yet we're going to get it from CGI snobs who love the new stuff merely due to graphics, since the older effects are retro. Same with the KOTOR remake, really. And you calling me "toxic fandom" just completely invalidates my feelings. Fuckin' hate the Internet. And I hate modern effects. As I've said, they are killing the way we look at art and story and the way official companies market it to us.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You just go fuck yourself. Callin' it now, this is going to be completely inferior to the original. Also, why is it okay to race-swap John Sheridan specifically to piss people off, but, say, to race-swap Dean from Enemy of the State into a white guy - oh suddenly that's verboten. You know, it's pathetic that the left, with its so-called "progressive" goals, show me LESS compassion than the new conservatives I've met in RK Outpost. Really, I said I'd be willing to date a trans girl, and when someone called me a fag and was being all aggressive and mean, they defended me! I just assumed it was because the person was born male, means I'm always dating a dude, was the sum of the user's sneering. I really just kinda ignored it, but they came to my defense, to let people love whoever they want. Conservatives, self-identified. You see, the goalposts for what constitutes a "conservative" these days seems to be shifting so radically and all the time among the left, I think I may be a conservative. But you lefties are far less compassionate than you think. I mean, for one thing, how about the many minorities who can't stand guilty white leftists? I've made my case. My aforementioned Latino friend who didn't get triggered by Donald Trump's "rapists and drug dealers" rhetoric, yet every white progressive on this board has.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Al-1701 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:56 am We're probably not going to have a Sheridan. Sinclair will be the "final commander" like originally intended. And don't forget the X.O. was Asian (and a woman) and the doctor was Black in the original concept (the replacement was also Black in the case of the latter).

As for Doyle, I don't think him being "right wing" was made him effective. And, he would have been disgusted with the modern Republican Party and it's current case of "melon mentality" as he would call it.

I'm looking forward to this reboot as I know it's a chance to JMS to try something new with the universe as well as try to do what circumstances kept him from with the original. He's going to need to find that right cast for it, but the talent is out there and JMS is always willing to take on reclamation projects if he thinks they fit the role.
This is my point. I mean, Jesus, we already had great diversity in the 1990s - I had just mentioned Enemy of the State with a black lead - and that's not enough these days, and it's being ignored, desecrated, and disregarded with new and false marketing claims. It's why so many faded fans prefer past shit. Look, the Animorphs creators stepped away from the movie, to name an example from another IP. I think it's because they are absolutely not sellouts, and yet how many us are, for the right price? I have to admit I would be as well. Hell, look at James Cameron, brought along for that recent Terminator movie, and all it did was upset people when they killed John Connor at the hands of the T-800. He had less creative control there than the defenders want to think. They're going back to the 1990s and ruining everything we loved from back then while claiming it's been made "better." I CAN'T STAND THAT. Entertainment landscape isn't better, it's worse. And this is more of the same. Just bringing along the original creator to soak up blame for when it goes south. But at least he'll be paid well. Come on, do you think JMS would WANT to do a reboot, or try to explore a new point in the older timeline? But any hope for that is gone. Killed with the reboot that won't have a shelf life of ten years, never mind 30 like the source material has.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Remember what Kosh told G'Kar. It's stopped mattering who started it, since in my mind, all these modern problems began after 9/11, with Bush. Yet how is it what you lefties are doing is any better? You've embraced practically everything you hated under Bush, with the right label and the right cause! I've said this before. But I don't care that imo, right wing conservatives started it. I'm very upset at each round of escalation the right and left has, because siege mentality and political warfare is what's contributing to that breakdown of values. Why we passed the Overton Window. Not any one man or woman.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 pmCalling me a toxic fan? For not wanting a split fandom?
No, J!! called you a toxic fan because you concluded a propos of nothing that they're going to race swap Sheridan.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Come on, with shifting market trends and modern corporate benchmark tests, do we expect less? Under the heading "more diverse than ever" WHEN IT WAS ALREADY DONE RIGHT BEFORE. Bury the past all with a "hit that #1 issue" mindset. Meanwhile, in Japan... there's so many manga, where do I get started?! Chapter 1, bruh. :roll:
Last edited by Yukaphile on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And you know, I'm willing to check out a new Stargate show over this, even though I'm fairly confident that won't be good either. Really. Users here have insisted I can't complain if I don't watch. THERE IS NO LOGIC IN THAT. What about what you're doing? Going into something knowing you're going to hate it? That it is inferior to past content? That would be exactly part of the problem I want to disavow. Hate-watching or hate-reading or hate-playing. I never saw Force Awakens in theaters, as I've said before, to name one example, never saw Last Jedi in theaters, and I don't own a Disney+ account. I want to avoid hate-consumption. Only streaming services me and the family have are Hulu and Amazon Prime, due to the diversity of selections and other services offered. That's it. I far prefer turning to older shit from its heyday instead of the shallow repeats we have now. They won't last long, as I've said. All it does is split the customer base and lead to unhappy people. I am someone who has every right to complain about what I don't like when modern entertainment has gone to the dogs. Oh, and that older content? Since I got my VPN, I'm sailing the pirate seas. Shouldn't true leftists worth their salt be doing the same thing? Deny the big, soulless corporations money. Even if it's a lost battle, I get it. I mean, they do certainly treat their workers awful. I agree! So I'd rather own older media downloaded off pirate sites. Full stop. And if I like it, I can buy it off Amazon Prime. To support the official product. Even if the makers have malicious agendas.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Stop. Breathe. You're having a freakout against a hypothetical position nobody is actually arguing for and that you literally made up.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I believe Mecha82 (might be wrong) and Makeshift Python have made comments to that extent about me and DISCO. I should watch it before I begin complaining. So yes, I've had that said to me before.