Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4

Post by clearspira »

Frustration wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:45 pm Are phasers difficult to acquire or something? They do involve dangerous energy densities, hence their alternate use as grenades. Maybe in the Dark Future no one can manufacture phasers...?

Although a modern industrial society would have to fall pretty far before it lost the ability to manufacture handguns. I take it back.
Society would have to fall back to an impossible level for humanity to forget the humble .45 lets be honest. I'm suddenly reminded of the film ''the Book of Eli'' that insisted that every Bible from the most luxurious leather backed tome to the Gideons Motel 6 freebie would somehow not survive the end of the world. God that was a stupid film.

Besides, I put it to you that if you can mass-produce combadges with transporters and holographic tricorders installed, you can build a phaser.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

It's like the show is written by morons or something...
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:30 pm
Swords are stupid in any setting that has guns with the exception of something like Dune that is set up to allow them or Star Wars that relies on superpowers in order to make them semi-viable.

They are there because they are kewl.
People who want realism in STAR TREK should transport themselves into space to protect us from their infection. :)

I am all about the space opera: Apollo, swords, pirates, and giant amoeba.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise... Yeah, not seeing much of the Enterprise in this show. What a joke.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

You know, even though what they did with personal transporters was really cool, I kinda wish they never brought them up. Pleased to see the mushyness is down (or at least more appropriately placed) by episode 4. Tilly's gone :|
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:59 am
Swords are stupid in any setting that has guns with the exception of something like Dune that is set up to allow them or Star Wars that relies on superpowers in order to make them semi-viable.

People who want realism in STAR TREK should transport themselves into space to protect us from their infection. :)

I wish to refer the realism to a comment I believe Kevin Siembieda made in an early Palladium book. When the flying flaming super hero, next to the werewolf, by the hyper intelligent slime are asking for realism. They do not mean the real world. They mean they want consistency. If something does its thing a certain way today then is should work that way tomorrow.

So having deflectors, scanner, and phasers etc. They should keep working between episodes.

Personally, and not sure if I stated this before, I think Discovery was originally written as a different SciFi show. And the writer was told it had to have a Trek label or it would never see the light of day. Thus why so much seem not Trek at times. As they are still struggling with the original concept and trying to get out from under the Trek logo.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:59 am

I've long thought that literally the only reason why someone could like modern Star Trek is that its dumbed down. Explosions! Swearing! Kewl fights! Thanks for confirming that to me :)

People like you are why we get so many half-arsed reboots and sequels nowadays. ''Storytelling? Why the fuck should we care about about storytelling? Just throw in guns and titties. That's all they want.''
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:02 am You know, even though what they did with personal transporters was really cool, I kinda wish they never brought them up. Pleased to see the mushyness is down (or at least more appropriately placed) by episode 4. Tilly's gone :|
Tilly's gone?

Boom! 1812 Overture! Lets go!
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:25 am I've long thought that literally the only reason why someone could like modern Star Trek is that its dumbed down. Explosions! Swearing! Kewl fights! Thanks for confirming that to me :)

People like you are why we get so many half-arsed reboots and sequels nowadays. ''Storytelling? Why the fuck should we care about about storytelling? Just throw in guns and titties. That's all they want.''
That criticism would be far more stinging from a man who believed in mandatory vaccines. *bazinga*

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

So apparently I have Paramount+ at my house so I technically have no reason to not watch this show anymore.
..What mirror universe?