Dr Who New Year's Special has the lowest ratings for 17 years

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Dr Who New Year's Special has the lowest ratings for 17 years

Post by clearspira »

BTW, when Chuck finally reaches this abortion of a series, I really hope that he covers the episode where the Doctor creams her pants over an entire planet that has been converted into a massive Not!Amazon warehouse that exploits its workforce to Dickensian levels. And I chose my words carefully there. She CREAMS her pants over this place. Literally giddy; jumping up and down at the thought.

This episode... this is a runner for one of the top ten worst episodes of NewWho. You've taken one of fictions biggest libertarians, someone who hates authority, governments and oppression in all of its forms; and have her walk away into the sunset at the end of the episode having done nothing to help these people beyond a vague promise that Not!Amazon will employ more people!? Yay! The exploitation will continue only now even more people get to work here!

This is character assassination. This is why my hatred of Thirteen and Chibnell runs deep. It goes beyond the idea that its all about the politics.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:53 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:04 am I feel like if you're relying on Russell T Davies of all people to not put progressive social messages in his work you should probably just give up now.

I actually haven't watched the show for years though, not going to make any kind of defense of it.
Captain Jack is one of my favourite all time Who characters. He is also the first out LGBT character in Who - which whilst totally not remarkable in 2022 was big news back in 2005.

Progressive issues aren't the problem. Its preaching them. Jack never metaphorically turns to the camera to give me a lecture on LGBT issues.
Like I said, I haven't seen it for years. I actually gave up after the Rosa Parks episode for pretty much the reason you said. Not just preachy, but in that offensively oblivious self-satisfied bourgeois way. But, well... from other threads I don't think that you personally are going to enjoy it if the guy who made It's a Sin has free reign to do what he wants with the show and wants to up the ante.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I like the current era actually sure its not the best ever but I've seen worse.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:54 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... s-ago.html

Its official: no one is watching this crap.

Dr Who pulled in just 3.4 million viewers on NY, down from 9 million in 2018. And that, BTW, is during the unofficial Covid lockdown in the UK where clubs and restaurants are lying bare because no one is risking going out and catching Omicron or cannot be bothered getting a Covid test.
Or in other words, in an era where people are sitting in their front rooms doing nothing, they STILL didn't feel like watching Dr Who.

I liked this bit the most: The Telegraph reported at the beginning of the year that episodes were drawing in fewer than 5million viewers. The paper added that such numbers are 'not dissimilar to when the show was axed in 1989'.

Russell T Davies is the last shot for this franchise. The BBC licence fee is being slashed and the cost of each episode of Dr Who is going up. If he doesn't retcon the last few series and kick all of the preaching to the kerb then that's it. We'll see immediately by who their next choice of Doctor is.
Is that counting streaming and DVR or just live broadcasts? Also is this in regards to worldwide airings or just the U.k?
Last edited by sayla0079 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:16 am You've taken one of fictions biggest libertarians, someone who hates authority, governments and oppression in all of its forms
Well at least it fits big L Libertarians.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

And just to point it out if people are complaining about the show being political it has always been political that is nothing new. Though in fairness most of the classic ones with the political messages Chuck hasn't covered yet.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Heck the daleks are debately the doctor oldest enemies and they are very political.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:16 am BTW, when Chuck finally reaches this abortion of a series, I really hope that he covers the episode where the Doctor creams her pants over an entire planet that has been converted into a massive Not!Amazon warehouse that exploits its workforce to Dickensian levels. And I chose my words carefully there. She CREAMS her pants over this place. Literally giddy; jumping up and down at the thought.

This episode... this is a runner for one of the top ten worst episodes of NewWho. You've taken one of fictions biggest libertarians, someone who hates authority, governments and oppression in all of its forms; and have her walk away into the sunset at the end of the episode having done nothing to help these people beyond a vague promise that Not!Amazon will employ more people!? Yay! The exploitation will continue only now even more people get to work here!

This is character assassination. This is why my hatred of Thirteen and Chibnell runs deep. It goes beyond the idea that its all about the politics.
I think "Kill the Moon" will KO Chuck before he gets the chance to review that episode.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

If anything I see Jodie's era the same as what happened during Colin's: good actor/actress hampered by scripts.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

sayla0079 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:36 am And just to point it out if people are complaining about the show being political it has always been political that is nothing new. Though in fairness most of the classic ones with the political messages Chuck hasn't covered yet.
Has it always been political though? Now Star Trek. You can make that argument. But Dr Who? I'm scratching my head here. I recall some green episodes and I recall the candyman episode that was a piss take of Thatcher.

Either way there is one key point to be made here: Europe and America are now extremely divided politically and both sides are radicalised. I would go as far as to say that less stable countries have had civil wars in similar conditions. To make political ANYTHING today and then act all shocked when social media tears you apart is naïve. Dumb, even.
There is an argument to be made that kicking the politics to the kerb and JUST making a show about fighting aliens is the moral approach to take if not the best business decision. Because whilst you are busy jerking off your particular opinions, those who either do not hold them or don't care are sitting there thinking ''I will not be preached to'' and leave.