Zero Punctuation is no more

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Zero Punctuation is no more

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think a lot of it has to do with youtube conventions of branding and trending that preoccupies the interactive face of content.

Lindsay Ellis helped start a streaming platform called Nebula with a lot of other post-breadtube producers.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 pm Lindsay Ellis got pretty big, over a million subs anyway. That was after abandoning the Nostalgia Chick schtick and a total retool of what she did, though. Wrote a few best selling novels too, which I have not read.
There's something of a bad line to her career as a novelist as she received a multi-million dollar advance based on her online fandom and only a fraction of it was bought by customers versus book stores. Meaning, BIG bomb.

Thus ending her authorial career.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Old media treating new media like old media has killed a lot of good online content.

Zero Punctuation as a brand is owned by the Escapist. I'm going to miss the animations.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:47 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 pm Lindsay Ellis got pretty big, over a million subs anyway. That was after abandoning the Nostalgia Chick schtick and a total retool of what she did, though. Wrote a few best selling novels too, which I have not read.
There's something of a bad line to her career as a novelist as she received a multi-million dollar advance based on her online fandom and only a fraction of it was bought by customers versus book stores. Meaning, BIG bomb.

Although I'm having trouble substantiating the facts outlined in your post, that sounds pretty bad. But if anyone's interested in the 3rd book you can preorder it on Amazon or a dozen other sites apparently.

Also, here's latest update I found.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LindsayEllis/c ... 3_updates/
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Businesses keep making the mistake of confusing online popularity with actual real popularity. Unless your name is MrBeast, the fact that you have six digit subs on YouTube means nothing. The Internet is not real life. It is a bloated and nasty parallel universe that indoctrinates people into believing that it is real life.

It's not just businesses either. I'm reminded of when perennial Internet sexist Sargon of Akkad decided to run for literal political office and was accepted by UKIP for a seat solely based on all of the votes his thousands of Youtubers could bring. Then cue about four weeks of the MSM grilling him on rape threats he had made to a female MP with the end result of him not winning to put it mildly.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I read the book and she's a very talented author. It just didn't translate into sales.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I figured she was picked up because she had dozens of videos dissecting the process of writing, inclusive of a series of videos making a mock YA novel. That's next to an array of literary analysis videos and starting a channel for PBS.
Power laces... alright.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Publishers probably needed to adjust their expectations.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:03 pm That's interesting. Y'know... i've always kind of wondered why the ex-Channel Awesome guys never did that themselves. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and they would have had the name recognition to try it. Let's be honest, its only really Angry Joe of the non-Walker clan members who has thrived since CA disbanded. Some of them do OK of course but they aren't over the one million sub mark like he is. It might be too late to try now, a lot of their names are probably lost on Zoomers after so long.

They were mates but not business partners, I guess.
I think the simplest answer is that they really had nothing in common except all being under the CA banner for a time. A few of them did clump up into mini-groups (like Chez Apocalypse), but I don't think that was really as beneficial by that time as it was in the early days of Channel Awesome. Also, by the time that CA imploded the landscape had changed, both in terms of content and audiences. Some have stuck with it and still make good content. Others moved on.

I wish Ellis still made videos, as her later-year essays were some of her best work. I've got all her books though.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:09 pmAlso, by the time that CA imploded the landscape had changed, both in terms of content and audiences. Some have stuck with it and still make good content. Others moved on.
Yes after the fall of Blip the revenue criterium watered down the landscape and productive efforts got absorbed into Youtube as a broad based platform.
Power laces... alright.