DISCO Season 4's Aesop really annoys me

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: DISCO Season 4's Aesop really annoys me

Post by hammerofglass »

Paramount+ still loses money. Apparently they're hoping it will be profitable in 2025.

AFAIK the only streaming platforms that actually turnd a profit are Netflix and Amazon.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Basically yes, the infrastructure to make a profit on streaming doesn't really exist.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 pm Basically yes, the infrastructure to make a profit on streaming doesn't really exist.
It turns out, reinventing all of the wheels, the chassis, the engine, and everything else, and then building a factory to make it all is more expensive than letting someone else take a cut of building your design on their infrastructure.

A tortured analogy, I know, but I mean I really don't know what anyone was thinking. "Let Netflix do all the hard work and we reap the profits" was just too good; they had to have the entire pie and they're now realizing just how much work it is when you have a small library as a draw, and needing to charge more to make it worthwhile just doesn't work for customers.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 am Paramount+ still loses money. Apparently they're hoping it will be profitable in 2025.

AFAIK the only streaming platforms that actually turnd a profit are Netflix and Amazon.
It's why Paramount is now selling DVDs of all their shows like Tulsa King, Mayor of Kingstown, and the new Treks.

And apparently THOSE are profitable.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Thank the gods they're selling DVDs so we can still have Paramount shows when they inevitably pull them for a tax writeoff.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville