What is something ya like from something you hate

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: What is something ya like from something you hate

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:56 am
Madner Kami wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:11 pm
Nealithi wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:12 am I do have a show I have no desire to sit and watch that is tangent with scifi/fantasy. Big Bang Theory. I won't bore you with why I dislike the show.
Oh? Please do go on. I have a complicated relationship with that series. I watched it mainly, because it was running on TV at a decent time when I just needed some background noise and it got some laughs out of me. At the same time the show itself irked me in many small things that I often couldn't even put my finger on, so I didn't really develop a close relationship with it. What is your fly in this particular soup?
Not that hard. The first episode started fine, but had the 'jock' beat up the 'nerds' with no real consequences. These are adults and that would be battery, not some eighties movie. It was a cheap laugh when they had better humor to offer. Then as the show went on they would have a scene I could chuckle at. But like the show Friends there was something wrong with the dynamic. Why are these people friends? They do not seem to even like each other.
I actually enjoyed the scene where Sheldon explained that being around many people was draining and he needed some time alone to be better. But overall it was not for me. Others like it and I understand where many see the appeal. It didn't to me.
TBBT has that problem alot of sitcoms have like you said such as Friends, Seinfeld, How I Met Your Mother etc which is it's easy story writing and cheap laughs to have characters insult each other. TBBT though makes it worse because of Sheldon. Sheldon in many many episodes really makes it hard to understand why anyone but Lenard would be around him. Plenty of situations throughout history I am sure where everyone stays away from the 'weird roommate of the friend we like to hang out with'.

Then it's shallow nerd/geek related trivia or humor. The cringey misogynistic stuff Sheldon or Howard says. Cringey stuff Rajesh does especially later in the series. Leonard is the only that seems to be more normal than the others.

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there where someone removed the laugh track out of scenes to show how the humor isn't that humorous or their banter is downright bad.

Penny is Penny and it really doesn't make sense for her to hang out with the guys. Amy started off awkward like Sheldon but got better over the series but she also has this weird obsession for Penny. Bernadette started mousy but eventually got really damned mean. Like really bad.

That being said I still do enjoy the show and I did like Young Sheldon. Especially George Senior who seems to be one of the best sitcom Dads in a long time.

With all that said I still do like the show.
I got nothing to say here.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:36 pm
Nealithi wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:12 am I do have a show I have no desire to sit and watch that is tangent with scifi/fantasy. Big Bang Theory. I won't bore you with why I dislike the show.
Oh? Please do go on. I have a complicated relationship with that series. I watched it mainly, because it was running on TV at a decent time when I just needed some background noise and it got some laughs out of me. At the same time the show itself irked me in many small things that I often couldn't even put my finger on, so I didn't really develop a close relationship with it. What is your fly in this particular soup?
Not that hard. The first episode started fine, but had the 'jock' beat up the 'nerds' with no real consequences. These are adults and that would be battery, not some eighties movie. It was a cheap laugh when they had better humor to offer. Then as the show went on they would have a scene I could chuckle at. But like the show Friends there was something wrong with the dynamic. Why are these people friends? They do not seem to even like each other.
I actually enjoyed the scene where Sheldon explained that being around many people was draining and he needed some time alone to be better. But overall it was not for me. Others like it and I understand where many see the appeal. It didn't to me.
TBBT has that problem alot of sitcoms have like you said such as Friends, Seinfeld, How I Met Your Mother etc which is it's easy story writing and cheap laughs to have characters insult each other. TBBT though makes it worse because of Sheldon. Sheldon in many many episodes really makes it hard to understand why anyone but Lenard would be around him. Plenty of situations throughout history I am sure where everyone stays away from the 'weird roommate of the friend we like to hang out with'.

Then it's shallow nerd/geek related trivia or humor. The cringey misogynistic stuff Sheldon or Howard says. Cringey stuff Rajesh does especially later in the series. Leonard is the only that seems to be more normal than the others.

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there where someone removed the laugh track out of scenes to show how the humor isn't that humorous or their banter is downright bad.

Penny is Penny and it really doesn't make sense for her to hang out with the guys. Amy started off awkward like Sheldon but got better over the series but she also has this weird obsession for Penny. Bernadette started mousy but eventually got really damned mean. Like really bad.

That being said I still do enjoy the show and I did like Young Sheldon. Especially George Senior who seems to be one of the best sitcom Dads in a long time.

Oh Young Sheldon is a show doomed that it couldn't continue. Sheldon's brother was an interesting character. I felt that the father had to die for a deeper plot point. Sheldon would not have turned out as he did as an adult if his dad was still around. From his sit down talk about not taking a bad day out on the family. To asking his wife to call the police for the 'vagrant' sleeping on the porch. George Sr. was awesome.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:21 am
McAvoy wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:36 pm

Oh Young Sheldon is a show doomed that it couldn't continue. Sheldon's brother was an interesting character. I felt that the father had to die for a deeper plot point. Sheldon would not have turned out as he did as an adult if his dad was still around. From his sit down talk about not taking a bad day out on the family. To asking his wife to call the police for the 'vagrant' sleeping on the porch. George Sr. was awesome.
They did change a few things around in Young Sheldon that contradicts TBBT. One thing was that George died way before TBBT started and the reception George has had, they couldn't make him into the drunk asshole he was portrayed in TBBT. So we can explain away that as Sheldon unable to process his father's death and actually being human resented his father and twisted how father really was. Until of course Sheldon started to writ his own book on his early life.

George Sr had to die because he was not there in TBBT and we were told he was dead. Like I said, they did twist a few things here and there to fit a George being an upstanding father figure, such as his Dad cheating on his Mom when it turns out Mary was dressed as a German barmaid in some sexy bedroom cosplay.

Doesn't really explain why Mary is the way she is in TBBT and Mary is in Young Sheldon.

Georgie though in TBBT did state he did go through a few divorces so maybe they do plan on changing that if a spin off happens.

It has been pointed out that all three kids are geniuses in their own way. Sheldon. Georgie being that hard working, salesman type of guy. Missy is pushing it with this theory but her being more of the social genius type.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Young Sheldon ends with a drifter killing Sheldon and assuming his identity, thereby explaining all the inconsistancies in the story.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:37 am Young Sheldon ends with a drifter killing Sheldon and assuming his identity, thereby explaining all the inconsistancies in the story.
Nah Sheldon accidently ate too much Thai and split into two. One a normal person who lives in Texas teaching Community College Physics and the other looking vastly different that retains all of original Sheldon's intelligence.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Or the simplest explanation, the story is told from Sheldon point of view, which means Sheldon didn't have the full story for some stuff, he was trying to make himself look good or he simply misremembered it.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:39 am Or the simplest explanation, the story is told from Sheldon point of view, which means Sheldon didn't have the full story for some stuff, he was trying to make himself look good or he simply misremembered it.
Fuzzy derailed this.

That is exactly what happened. That is what Young Sheldon in the final season and the ending was supposed to convey.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean how did he know about the stuff he wasn't there for.