Celebrating Pride Month: Should Kara Danvers/Zor-El aka Supergirl be a Lesbian?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Celebrating Pride Month: Should Kara Danvers/Zor-El aka Supergirl be a Lesbian?

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:48 pm
McAvoy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:37 pm Umm I might be wrong with this but isn't she bi-sexual? I forgot who she hooked up with.

Also something that is often missed when it comes movies, TV series and animation is that Kara doesn't view Earth the same way Clark does. She views Earth not as her home and in a way doesn't recognize Clark as her cousin.

Yeah the CW Supergirl was just a Superman series but with a girl. Same villains. Though they did the CW route and made everyone a hero of some kind. They all practically have a team around the main hero.
Which is something I am hoping they don't bring in for the future. It works once or twice, but whenever single hero show has a team of tech support, and like four other heroes it get's real tying real fast.
Yeah they did it with the Green Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl. They all went to the same formula. Which is unfortunate because the casting for those shows for the lead character was on point.

Though I did like the Supergirl version in Smallville. But she is also a result of Smallville refusing to end and just kept on adding Superman villains before he was even Superman. But Kara was more comicbook accurate personality wise than CW's version was.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Celebrating Pride Month: Should Kara Danvers/Zor-El aka Supergirl be a Lesbian?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

There's no particular reason to make Supergirl a lesbian or bi than any other character.

Mind you, Power Girl is never treated as the adult Supergirl and neither woman is allowed to have relationships. Hetero or otherwise.

There's a curious asexuality to most comic book women that I attribute to male comic book designer sexism. Jessica Jones is the only woman in comics allowed to have regular sex other than Lois Lane and that's after decades of chasing Superman.

Oh, right, and She-Hulk who takes constant shit for it.

Even Jessica Drew isn't allowed to have a baby daddy.

I will note that Batgirl and Supergirl did have some jokes about possible bi tension in their animated counterparts with Harley pointing out their relationship resembled hers and Ivys.