Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Thebestoftherest »

chaos42 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:01 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 am
chaos42 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 am
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 pm
That is not how Starfleet or any military operates. This is how a bad caricature facsimile operates.
well thats why im saying its an idea its not so much how a military operates, its how a bad manager would operate it and thats the joke.
in much the same way that book red shirts was. the not starfleet ship was basically normal but tv show logic took over when ever something that would be in the episode was going on, the damage would always be on certain decks because thats the ones they have stock footage of. and the ships had massive casualties on away missions all the time form things the characters point out are insane and don't make sense.
Link8909 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm That is honestly interesting, I really do like Lower Decks premise because it does give focus on the unsung heroes of Starfleet, the crewmembers that do all the nitty-gritty jobs that allow the heroes to save the day and as you say get the credit, and even if the reason for Ensign Beckett's attitude is not that, that is an interesting backstory for a character.
its one of the ideas i had for something similar i had a while back.

actually had another good idea, what if the lower deck crew has to figure out ways to get the senior officers out of the way to actually get something done right. like what if the engineer of the group can get the job done but the chief is no where near as good as he thinks he is and keeps getting in the way so they have to come up with elaborate ways to get him out of the way so he can do his job. like rigging up something that will hit him with something to force him to go change his uniform and they keep doing that. to the point he just starts replicating one because it keeps happening.
Heck, be interesting subtext if in the season most of the upper decks crew got their jobs more from having the right connections as oppose to actually doing anything to earn it. Like the first officer singificant other decided the order of star fleet crew and they keep getting promotions they never heard. Heck maybe show how insane some of the military takes are.
thats kinda of what it would have been, i could never do anything with because im not the best writer, working on it, but the idea was to show what star fleet would be for the rank and file and how some times the people running the show don't have a clue what they are doing because of the one enemy humanity has never been able to over come bureaucracy and personal empire building

ive seen it people who build themselves little empires because they hold power over others because they are in positions of power over them. id like to see someone in this show who controls something on the ship and uses it to extort favors or power out of the lower deck crew, access to something they need a lot or something along those lines.
Heck people only put up with Weasley because of his mother. I wouldn't mind if a few episodes were basically parodies of The bad TNG episodes from season 1 and 2. I would love if they did peak performance and have the upper deck to be shown to be arrogant and lazy.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

ya early tng is ripe for some abuse. i do think its a good idea to take the piss out of early tng, as i like tng a lot and the early seasons have a lot of problems.

though i do think that there should be a lot of casualties in this series as its a way to see what happens to the poor suckers who are the red shirts.

actually i think it would be funny if the lower decks crew are aware of the high chances of casualties and actually wish they were posted on ships like the enterprise or on ds9 as they have far lower death rate than other star fleet ships.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yes, make Lower Decks an even worse terribly unfunny comedy that only shows incompetent twats which goes nowhere, than it already is.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

chaos42 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 am ya early tng is ripe for some abuse. i do think its a good idea to take the piss out of early tng, as i like tng a lot and the early seasons have a lot of problems.

though i do think that there should be a lot of casualties in this series as its a way to see what happens to the poor suckers who are the red shirts.

actually i think it would be funny if the lower decks crew are aware of the high chances of casualties and actually wish they were posted on ships like the enterprise or on ds9 as they have far lower death rate than other star fleet ships.
Maybe show how a society of blinde ahir blue eye people who have no problem killing children and no desire to warn people of the penalty rule by a flase god isn't a good thing like it was shown in paradise.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

chaos42 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 am ya early tng is ripe for some abuse. i do think its a good idea to take the piss out of early tng, as i like tng a lot and the early seasons have a lot of problems.

I can see that, there's actually a comic that's about the trials and tribulations of being a Red Shirt, it's Star Trek #13 from the Kelvin Timeline IDW series.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:59 pm Maybe show how a society of blinde ahir blue eye people who have no problem killing children and no desire to warn people of the penalty rule by a flase god isn't a good thing like it was shown in paradise.
Good grief, that episode was bad, especially being followed after "Code of Honor" which was an even worst episode, but together have this really uncomfortable subtext to them.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

they need to make fun of both those episodes some how.

like if the lower deck crews have a classification system for those kinds of planets

like its a class m world -sub class 11546 means its got a paradise society with some really weird laws that we could run a foul of double check you know what customs to follow and the local laws
or a 25356 planet with all powerful energy being on it will probably make u do some morality play but offers drinks afterwards
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Link8909 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 pm

I can see that, there's actually a comic that's about the trials and tribulations of being a Red Shirt, it's Star Trek #13 from the Kelvin Timeline IDW series.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:59 pm Maybe show how a society of blinde ahir blue eye people who have no problem killing children and no desire to warn people of the penalty rule by a flase god isn't a good thing like it was shown in paradise.
Good grief, that episode was bad, especially being followed after "Code of Honor" which was an even worst episode, but together have this really uncomfortable subtext to them.
Maybe use the new show to shine a new light.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm Maybe use the new show to shine a new light.
Indeed.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

and maybe lead to something better, one of the things i think is the problem with a lot of newer trek content is that there is not enough hope and progress, star trek was always a series with a lot of hope something good when it comes out. in 4 days

also i think i know what this series needs, it needs a snarky AI, like the ships computer has a personality and is itself a character. like the holo brams or the andromeda ascendants compter rommy
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I also feel there more episodes that could be spoff, like maybe like the Neutral Zone, you know that episode with three civilian from the twentieth century suddenly founding themselves in a different world, where everyone and everything they know and love is dead and gone, and the crew barely helps, threat them as sub human for minor quirks while going on about how much better they all are compare to them.