Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Link8909 »

chaos42 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:28 am and maybe lead to something better, one of the things i think is the problem with a lot of newer trek content is that there is not enough hope and progress, star trek was always a series with a lot of hope something good when it comes out. in 4 days

also i think i know what this series needs, it needs a snarky AI, like the ships computer has a personality and is itself a character. like the holo brams or the andromeda ascendants compter rommy
I know what you mean, while I'm not apposed to Star Trek telling dark stories, and I think Star Trek Picard handled it well that while it started dark ultimately had a positive and uplifting message, however I do think we need a Star Trek series that is positive and uplifting right out of the gate.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what Star Trek Lower Decks will be, hopefully we will get an announcement for when it starts streaming in the UK, Mike McMahan Tweeted "I wouldn't worry" in response to someone asking this question but I still would like a date, I've already got myself ExpressVPN but couldn't get a CBS All Access Gift Card from anywhere either because they wouldn't sell it to UK accounts or without giving out personal information on myself.

Also, I've always liked the idea of a starship with an A.I. that was a character itself, hopefully we'll see this in the future like what we saw in the Short Treks "Calypso".
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 am I also feel there more episodes that could be spoff, like maybe like the Neutral Zone, you know that episode with three civilian from the twentieth century suddenly founding themselves in a different world, where everyone and everything they know and love is dead and gone, and the crew barely helps, threat them as sub human for minor quirks while going on about how much better they all are compare to them.
Good lord was Season 1 of The Next Generation bad, I'm not apposed to Lower Decks pocking fun of that era of Star Trek.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

its something i think was tested out with the brams holo in booby trap and was probably the insperation for rommy in andromeda as it was also something gene was planning out but never finish, i think that as chuck pointed out that its data lit. would work, plus it would make sense that the ship needs an ai to run some of the functions. plus if its an ai it can do things like in that one episode were the enterprise was connecting stuff together and personifying it with the holodeck and the orient express program. and we have had that with the doctor was both the emh and emc. plus we also had the holo crew in picard so i think that star fleet ships having holo gram interfaces for some of the ship might be a good idea.

and you can play around with it more, for example what if like we have in our current day profiles that set up interfaces we login to preset to our preferences-example im left handed so everything i use is set for that, when other people use my stuff it drives them all crazy because they aren't use to it and even complain why is it set this way. seems they failed to realize i set it that way because its my computer. so why not have each crew member have like a customized interface when they are alone, there is one for general meetings but when they are alone it switches to a more personal setting. that is something they are more confident or more relaxed with like turning into a pet that curls up in their lap to help them relax.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Link8909 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 pm
chaos42 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:28 am and maybe lead to something better, one of the things i think is the problem with a lot of newer trek content is that there is not enough hope and progress, star trek was always a series with a lot of hope something good when it comes out. in 4 days

also i think i know what this series needs, it needs a snarky AI, like the ships computer has a personality and is itself a character. like the holo brams or the andromeda ascendants compter rommy
I know what you mean, while I'm not apposed to Star Trek telling dark stories, and I think Star Trek Picard handled it well that while it started dark ultimately had a positive and uplifting message, however I do think we need a Star Trek series that is positive and uplifting right out of the gate.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what Star Trek Lower Decks will be, hopefully we will get an announcement for when it starts streaming in the UK, Mike McMahan Tweeted "I wouldn't worry" in response to someone asking this question but I still would like a date, I've already got myself ExpressVPN but couldn't get a CBS All Access Gift Card from anywhere either because they wouldn't sell it to UK accounts or without giving out personal information on myself.

Also, I've always liked the idea of a starship with an A.I. that was a character itself, hopefully we'll see this in the future like what we saw in the Short Treks "Calypso".
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 am I also feel there more episodes that could be spoff, like maybe like the Neutral Zone, you know that episode with three civilian from the twentieth century suddenly founding themselves in a different world, where everyone and everything they know and love is dead and gone, and the crew barely helps, threat them as sub human for minor quirks while going on about how much better they all are compare to them.
Good lord was Season 1 of The Next Generation bad, I'm not apposed to Lower Decks pocking fun of that era of Star Trek.
I wouldn't mind showing the guys in charge arrogant.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

chaos42 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 pm its something i think was tested out with the brams holo in booby trap and was probably the insperation for rommy in andromeda as it was also something gene was planning out but never finish, i think that as chuck pointed out that its data lit. would work, plus it would make sense that the ship needs an ai to run some of the functions. plus if its an ai it can do things like in that one episode were the enterprise was connecting stuff together and personifying it with the holodeck and the orient express program. and we have had that with the doctor was both the emh and emc. plus we also had the holo crew in picard so i think that star fleet ships having holo gram interfaces for some of the ship might be a good idea.

and you can play around with it more, for example what if like we have in our current day profiles that set up interfaces we login to preset to our preferences-example im left handed so everything i use is set for that, when other people use my stuff it drives them all crazy because they aren't use to it and even complain why is it set this way. seems they failed to realize i set it that way because its my computer. so why not have each crew member have like a customized interface when they are alone, there is one for general meetings but when they are alone it switches to a more personal setting. that is something they are more confident or more relaxed with like turning into a pet that curls up in their lap to help them relax.
But since it a comedy they have to reset it each time.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

or the settings are always getting messed up so it turns into things that are a problem
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 am I wouldn't mind showing the guys in charge arrogant.

Same, I think that's what they're going to do with First Officer Jack Ransom whom McMahan compared to Riker, if he was on speed and had less shame.
chaos42 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 pm its something i think was tested out with the brams holo in booby trap and was probably the insperation for rommy in andromeda as it was also something gene was planning out but never finish, i think that as chuck pointed out that its data lit. would work, plus it would make sense that the ship needs an ai to run some of the functions. plus if its an ai it can do things like in that one episode were the enterprise was connecting stuff together and personifying it with the holodeck and the orient express program. and we have had that with the doctor was both the emh and emc. plus we also had the holo crew in picard so i think that star fleet ships having holo gram interfaces for some of the ship might be a good idea.

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am But since it a comedy they have to reset it each time.
chaos42 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:44 pm or the settings are always getting messed up so it turns into things that are a problem
I'd definitely like to see that as well, I really liked the Emergency Holograms in Star Trek Picard, it was a great expansion on the EMH idea and I hope we see more variations on it like the Data Lite idea or even going as far as a fully sentient starship, not only is there great comedy potential (the snarkier the computer is, the better in my opinion) but much like in Star Trek Picard you could raise interesting moral questions on what it means to be alive and the rights on artificial life.

Also, I can easily see Lower Decks having episodes about minor glitches plaguing the computer and them trying to fix it, basically being tech support.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Link8909 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 am I wouldn't mind showing the guys in charge arrogant.

Same, I think that's what they're going to do with First Officer Jack Ransom whom McMahan compared to Riker, if he was on speed and had less shame.

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 am But since it a comedy they have to reset it each time.
chaos42 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:44 pm or the settings are always getting messed up so it turns into things that are a problem
I'd definitely like to see that as well, I really liked the Emergency Holograms in Star Trek Picard, it was a great expansion on the EMH idea and I hope we see more variations on it like the Data Lite idea or even going as far as a fully sentient starship, not only is there great comedy potential (the snarkier the computer is, the better in my opinion) but much like in Star Trek Picard you could raise interesting moral questions on what it means to be alive and the rights on artificial life.

Also, I can easily see Lower Decks having episodes about minor glitches plaguing the computer and them trying to fix it, basically being tech support.
plus the various holograms could be really good for solutions to problems. in that living witness episode the doctor had that bit were he said he would go first and draw any fire and when the ambassador said he was brave he replied i appreciate it but im invulnerable to phaser fire was the real reason. and think about that in an emergency say 10 holograms acting as just extra bodies could immobilize an mad klingon or be extra hands fixing systems -instead of rip off r2 units in discovery we have holographic crew fixing the ship only limited by places they can't go so normal jobs that don't need technical skill are done with holo workers, and the crew can customize them make them more like he doctor.

you could even make a funny one were the holo has a personality like a plumber from the bronks
Thebestoftherest
Captain

chaos42 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:18 pm
Link8909 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm

plus the various holograms could be really good for solutions to problems. in that living witness episode the doctor had that bit were he said he would go first and draw any fire and when the ambassador said he was brave he replied i appreciate it but im invulnerable to phaser fire was the real reason. and think about that in an emergency say 10 holograms acting as just extra bodies could immobilize an mad klingon or be extra hands fixing systems -instead of rip off r2 units in discovery we have holographic crew fixing the ship only limited by places they can't go so normal jobs that don't need technical skill are done with holo workers, and the crew can customize them make them more like he doctor.

you could even make a funny one were the holo has a personality like a plumber from the bronks
Maybe have them do the age old automation questions why hire people when machines CNA do it none stop.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

its probably because the holograms can't be projected in all situations. ie radiation ect plus they are computer programs it depends how complex they are -the doctor took years to do surgery i would expect other technical fields to need as much, but simpler work like basic stuff could be done by a hologram. like say moving cargo or waiting on people in the louge-like what quark tried to do during his employees strike
Thebestoftherest
Captain

chaos42 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:19 am its probably because the holograms can't be projected in all situations. ie radiation ect plus they are computer programs it depends how complex they are -the doctor took years to do surgery i would expect other technical fields to need as much, but simpler work like basic stuff could be done by a hologram. like say moving cargo or waiting on people in the louge-like what quark tried to do during his employees strike
Why can't you have one go through the years of study and just mass copy it.