Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:31 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:02 am Not a huge fan of season-ending cliffhangers. Thought we were getting a hint of the gorn as people rather than just monsters when the youngling left them alone, but nope, it was just recognizing the eggs.
I'm very much opened to it. They kind of went off a cliff with the Last Jedi, but most everything now seems to try to end like a novel despite still only having the amount of substance for a miniseries.

I want a normal handshake agreement cliffhanger like in the old days.
I'm glad you mentioned The Last Jedi. Here is a video explaining why the musical episode is Star Trek's The Last Jedi moment AKA the moment that finally split the fanbase in two forever.

https://youtu.be/Xw9yG_4GxXQ
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:25 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:02 am Not a huge fan of season-ending cliffhangers. Thought we were getting a hint of the gorn as people rather than just monsters when the youngling left them alone, but nope, it was just recognizing the eggs.
I'm very much opened to it. They kind of went off a cliff with the Last Jedi, but most everything now seems to try to end like a novel despite still only having the amount of substance for a miniseries.

I'm glad you mentioned The Last Jedi. Here is a video explaining why the musical episode is Star Trek's The Last Jedi moment AKA the moment that finally split the fanbase in two forever.

Any summary of the 29 minute video?
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:12 pm

The Force Awakens was slightly controversial in that it didn't really do anything new and for killing off Han, but on the whole, fans were happy with it. The money speaks for itself. The fans went into it excited and they went into The Last Jedi excited.

And then came The Last Jedi.

The film that had Luke drink milk from an udder. The film that had Luke throw his dad's lightsaber over his shoulder. The film that had Luke refuse the call of heroism. The film that had Luke try to murder his nephew. The film that neutered every male character from TFA. The film that cemented Rey as the greatest thing ever in the history of the galaxy.

The Star Wars fandom never, ever, ever recovered. Every Star Wars property since has decreased in value and that is not opinion. Did you know that only this week Disney announced that Star Wars The High Republic was shutting down? Doesn't sound like a company that is successful to me.

And the same is true of Star Trek. People didn't like Discovery. People didn't like Picard. People didn't like Lower Decks. But having Pike and the TOS crew sing?

Hoo effing boy, my friends. That has separated the OG fans from the newer ones like NOTHING I have seen. Not even the Klingon make-up change got people so irate. The so-called ''Fandom Menace'' that was basically dead on Youtube a few weeks ago has exploded once again.

That's it. The fan split is complete. At this point, either the new fans take this show somewhere new or its done. That's my take on August 2023 anyway. The future is always clouded in mystery, innit?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Y'all have been singing that same "ruined forever" tune for twenty years and more, but to everyone's frustration you never actually leave.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 am
And the same is true of Star Trek. People didn't like Discovery. People didn't like Picard. People didn't like Lower Decks. But having Pike and the TOS crew sing?
AFAICT people didn't like Discovery, Picard's been moderately accepted although it's got issues, and the people who at least got past the first couple of Lower Decks episiodes (completely agree with Chuck on those) seem to mostly quite like it (I love it).
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:12 pm

The Force Awakens was slightly controversial in that it didn't really do anything new and for killing off Han, but on the whole, fans were happy with it. The money speaks for itself. The fans went into it excited and they went into The Last Jedi excited.

And then came The Last Jedi.

The film that had Luke drink milk from an udder. The film that had Luke throw his dad's lightsaber over his shoulder. The film that had Luke refuse the call of heroism. The film that had Luke try to murder his nephew. The film that neutered every male character from TFA. The film that cemented Rey as the greatest thing ever in the history of the galaxy.

The Star Wars fandom never, ever, ever recovered. Every Star Wars property since has decreased in value and that is not opinion. Did you know that only this week Disney announced that Star Wars The High Republic was shutting down? Doesn't sound like a company that is successful to me.

Hoo effing boy, my friends. That has separated the OG fans from the newer ones like NOTHING I have seen. Not even the Klingon make-up change got people so irate. The so-called ''Fandom Menace'' that was basically dead on Youtube a few weeks ago has exploded once again.

That's it. The fan split is complete. At this point, either the new fans take this show somewhere new or its done. That's my take on August 2023 anyway. The future is always clouded in mystery, innit?
Idunno it was consistent in sci fi concept. And it wasn’t even the season finale. The Riker flashback episode wold be more offensive.
..What mirror universe?
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 amBut having Pike and the TOS crew sing?
I don't believe that, not in the slightest.

Now this is obviously subjective, the fandom does not speak in one voice, and certainly not in one place to the point where no one person, not even the most terminally online, can experience all of the hot takes, everywhere at once.

With that proviso, from what I've seen the singing controversy is barely worthy of a single Spock raised eyebrow on the outrage-o-meter. Most I've seen in terms of people being mad at the musical is stuff here, a few threads/comment on reddit, a couple of highly grumpy people on twitter, and a very low percentage of comments seen elsewhere. In every case it's been a minority take compared to those being positive about it.

Comparing it to Discovery which genuinely went properly supernova in terms of the rage it inspired is just plain wrong to me. Majority of the reaction to that first season was in someway negative, hell my reaction was highly negative, and so saying the musical was the thing to break the fandom in the way Last Jedi did is proper full on mountains out of mole hills.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I and a lot of other Trek-Fans simply have moved on. This isn't Trek, it's just a mockery of what we grew up with and what we're looking for in SciFi. Shows like The Expanse have become our bread and butter. This rehashed nonsense is for a generation that is happy to grow up with what some 60 years old CEO thinks they are happy with, because the nerds back then were happy with, supported by a network of writers and showrunners who can't come up with anything new by themselves if you'd put a gun to their heads, but still somehow insist on inflicting their narcisstic god-complex on everyone and everything.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:39 pm I and a lot of other Trek-Fans simply have moved on. This isn't Trek, it's just a mockery of what we grew up with and what we're looking for in SciFi. Shows like The Expanse have become our bread and butter. This rehashed nonsense is for a generation that is happy to grow up with what some 60 years old CEO thinks they are happy with, because the nerds back then were happy with, supported by a network of writers and showrunners who can't come up with anything new by themselves if you'd put a gun to their heads, but still somehow insist on inflicting their narcisstic god-complex on everyone and everything.
The Expanse illustrates the problems I've got with too many programmes these days. It's no Trek replacement. I gave up on it after finding it full of unlikeable characters who are all busy trying to stab each other in the back and generally be unpleasant, with another lump of misery coming along every time it looked like something positive might happen, all getting in the way to the much more interesting sci-fi stuff that mostly seemed to be there as a backdrop for depressing politics and depressing characters.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The Orville was the Trek replacement. Now we'll have to find something else.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984