Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by clearspira »

Mabus wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:57 pm I feel like the season peaked in episode 3 or maybe 2, right now they plot got a bit too complicated, and there's only 4 more episodes to go. Not too fond of how Ro turned out or about her demise (what, her shuttle doesn't have an EVA suit she could have taken? Discovery had Iron Man-like EVA suits almost 150 years prior). Also, the CGI for the Changeling morphing looks kind of shit, did they rotoscoped some meat being minced or something?

Episode 6 might as well be called "Memberberries", because there's like two whole damn museums full of them. It was hilarious to see how much the writers were desperate to shove as many memberberries as possible, some were damn right ridiculous. Kirk's body is there for some reason? Mutant tribble? Really? Also, is Vadic an actual Changeling now? I'm confused. I thought it was only her hand. Or is she an entire colony of Changelings? Like a micro-Link of sorts?

The season reached the half-way point, and it seems to be veering off, and with Sidney even telling Geordi "The galaxy is at stake here, dad" it's clear that yet again, there's yet again another world/Federation-ending plot... just like the previous times... only now at least there's still something resembling of a story... mostly.
Ah, but all of that advanced technology in DISCO was classified after season 2 :lol:

At least Enterprise's continuity issues were confined to ''lets not name the Ferengi/Borg'' or ''this scanner looks a bit too advanced compared to TOS.'' DISCO pulled so much out of continuity shit out of its backside and then tried to cover it up in the lamest way possible.

That aside, you make a very good point. Not even any plain old ''First Contact'' suits on hand, no? Why not? Why is there ever any reason why any shuttlecraft would ever not have a spacesuit on board? Why don't Starfleet officers wear ''Battlestar Galactica'' flight suits or helmets that would allow them to survive a sudden decompression come to that? Starfleet shuttlecraft have the endurance of wet paper. We must have seen them lose at least 50 on-screen at this point. I wouldn't step anywhere near one of these death traps without the knowledge that I could safely jump out of the airlock should the need arise.

Crappy health and safety is by far the most unrealistic part of Star Trek and I am including FTL drive in that. Starfleet functions with a disregard for its people that would be an horrific scandal to anyone living today if this was a real organization. It would be shut down.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Mabus wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:57 pm Also, is Vadic an actual Changeling now? I'm confused. I thought it was only her hand. Or is she an entire colony of Changelings? Like a micro-Link of sorts?
Terry confirmed on Twitter before this episode that Vadic was a changeling.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Also, about the suits...yes, they may have had one on the shuttle, but do you think Ro would have had time to put one on to get out of the ship before the explosion...not to mention get far enough away from the blast of the explosion?

At least what she did in the episode bought time for Picard and company.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I got a good belly laugh out of "excellent use of the word 'burgle' Admiral". Just so WTF.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Frustration wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:30 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:54 am Didn’t data admit that lore is better?
Lore didn't concern himself with ethics and morality, which gave him an advantage in direct conflict. On the other hand, Data had a LOT of friends. Lore had no long-term allies.

Sociopathy is often a disadvantage.
Pretty much the light and dark side of the force.
..What mirror universe?
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

I'm still not sure of how I like this season. I will say the foreshadowing with Kirk's body was a nice touch and something I can see Section 31 doing.

... I am getting sick with of the dark and dirty side of the Federation / Starfleet... Another reason I like Prodigy.

Putting it here: LaForge saying how all ships 'talk to each other' is going to be a big plot point.

Edit: They also have Archer's body.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Man, do I find 'memberberries' one of the more obnoxious forms of internet lingo. Mainly as it leads people to dismiss and crap on genuine love letters. Yes obviously refferences for the sake of refferences can often be used badly as cheap nostalgia bait, but that excellent reprise of Moriarity where the actor nailed it again all these decades later, the beautiful working in of the various themes into the music, and most of all that Seven of Nine speach about what Voyager meant to her is so very much not that in the slightest.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CMWaters wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:20 pm Also, about the suits...yes, they may have had one on the shuttle, but do you think Ro would have had time to put one on to get out of the ship before the explosion...not to mention get far enough away from the blast of the explosion?

At least what she did in the episode bought time for Picard and company.
Well... see... that depends on how strong your ''main character shields'' happen to be that day. For example, Paris and Torres in ''Day of Honor.'' But as Ro is no longer a main character and has thus handed over her shield privileges, suddenly things like ''realistic time'' have to be taken into account.

I still maintain though that its suicidally dumb that Battlestar Galactica flightsuits are not standard equipment whenever you take out a shuttle. And, on that note, flightsuits with emergency transporters and force fields built in to render things like time and distance irrelevant. Star Trek is an amazing place where physics and reality can be bent like a Uri Gellar brand spoon but its officers are still going around without safety features that logically should exist.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Laforge traded in his technobabble badge for a father babble badge.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:29 pm I got a good belly laugh out of "excellent use of the word 'burgle' Admiral". Just so WTF.
Yes it’s been added to the Picard lexicology curriculum along with apprise, sterile, baggage, among others.
..What mirror universe?