The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah Love and Thunder did have tone whiplash.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Going by the deleted scenes I've seen it got butchered in editing.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yeah, I feel in phrase 4 and before while imperfect they had a good tone and character work now it feel like characterization is push to the side for jokes, which feels like they fall flat more often
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:07 pm Going by the deleted scenes I've seen it got butchered in editing.
Hardly seems like a good basis to speculate upon a film. Just that deleted scenes are usually rather mediocre.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:42 am TBH, I barely remember the last Thor movie due to being annoyed by the amount of jokes and character assassination of Thor.
Side question: was this not also a major problem in Thor:Ragnarok? Right from the opening scene the film was swimming in tone whiplash.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:35 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:07 pm Going by the deleted scenes I've seen it got butchered in editing.
Hardly seems like a good basis to speculate upon a film. Just that deleted scenes are usually rather mediocre.
This is specifically what I mean. It's obvious when this was shot it was a completely different movie.

https://youtu.be/SzgNCRN9hlI?si=eDLn7JRA2Tz7WIs2
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Already saw it and actually perfer it over what we got.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:34 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:42 am TBH, I barely remember the last Thor movie due to being annoyed by the amount of jokes and character assassination of Thor.
Side question: was this not also a major problem in Thor:Ragnarok? Right from the opening scene the film was swimming in tone whiplash.
Ragnarok kinda fixed the issue with Thor from the first two movies. Which is that a serious Thor kinda is boring. The jokes in Ragnarok isn't nearly as jarring as what we saw in Love and Thunder. Thor was serious when the time needed him to be whereas in Thor 4, he seemed to always on the verge of cracking a joke or someone is. A joke is being set up.

I kinda wish there was an edit where the jokes were toned down.
I got nothing to say here.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:13 am Ragnarok kinda fixed the issue with Thor from the first two movies. Which is that a serious Thor kinda is boring. The jokes in Ragnarok isn't nearly as jarring as what we saw in Love and Thunder. Thor was serious when the time needed him to be whereas in Thor 4, he seemed to always on the verge of cracking a joke or someone is. A joke is being set up.

I kinda wish there was an edit where the jokes were toned down.
I actually preferred the more serious Thor compared to the more comedic Thor. My favorite moments in Ragnarok is the more serious bits like Odin's death which is played completely straight with no forced humor and it really works. It helps that all the actors are taking this moment seriously because even if this is the end of Odin whom we've barely spent any time with this is the father of two major characters and should be treated with respect... Until you check out the deleted scenes and see that this moment was really stupid with a completely different tone that made it feel like the director didn't care and just wanted to kill off this character with no real emotional weight.

My biggest issue with both Ragnarok along with Love and Thunder and that is the films feel like they're trying to be more like Guardians of the Galaxy instead of Thor but for me they also fail at being GOTG because they're missing a key element that made Guardians so much fun which is the drama. Guardians is a surprisingly deep series that delves into trauma, abuse and redemption with the humor being there to help keep things from getting to dark.

But the recent Thor films are just comedies that does not take itself seriously unless forced to even though it has a plethora of great ideas and improves on concepts from the comics and were they to tone down the comedy it could be great. But instead it acts like the series is this great embarrassment to be humiliated as much as possible before being unceremoniously disregarded as if it was nothing.

I'm not against a film being all jokes with little in the way of drama as shown in my enjoyment of the Marvels but The Marvels work because it's truer to the characters from the comics and embraces the silliness of the comics. Recent Thor feels like it's being forced upon the director who hates the series so he does what he can to destroy it in the hopes that he'll be given a project more worthy of his time.

Think about it, most of Thor's cast is killed off over the course of 2 movies. The only ones left is a new character created for the recent films and Sif whom I'm pretty sure is only alive because Marvel flatout ordered Taika Waititi NOT to kill. And Thor has little to no reaction to this. I honestly don't remember if he even mentions that 3 of his life long friends, who risked exile and death alongside him. Who helped him turn against Odin for the soul purpose to save Asgard, who have been with him through thick and thin are apparently not worth talking about and are killed off as quickly as possible.

These aren't all time favorite characters of mine or anything but they were Thor's friends, he should have more of a reaction to their deaths then... nothing.

Even Thor getting PTSD is treated as a joke and I don't just mean in Avengers: Endgame I mean in Love and Thunder. Thor is dealing with a lot of trauma and the films are basically going "Ha, look the idiot is filled with pain and regret at the loss of all he ever knew and loved. What a loser!"

It almost seems that Marvel hates Thor and is actively trying to ruin him and if that's the case I have to ask, why not just kill him off. I mean if they need him back they can just do that it wouldn't be unheard of in the Superhero genre and they clearly have no issue with killing off anything and everything connected to Thor.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I personally feel Loki the show wouldn't be a bad take, the idea are silly and the shows knows it but most of the characters usually take things straight with the humor usually the characters reactions as opposed to trying to make it a comedy.