Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Asvarduil
Officer

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by Asvarduil »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:00 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:42 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:06 amImagine being the poor sod that gets to serve on the USS Troi.
I wouldn't mind servicing Troi.
The good ship Troi has some nice upholstery to be sure, but it has a temperamental guidance system that means you have to be wary around planets lest you crash straight into it.
It's also programmed that, when it has < 5% HP, to select a priority target, and accelerate to ramming speed.

Picard: If I ever need you to crash the ship into something, I'll be sure to let you know.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Could be worse, you could on the USS Kim, which has been destroyed and rebuilt so many times that Star Fleet's run out of letters.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Blinking... seriously... blinking at a hologram causes it to deactivate itself... a 32th century hologram nonetheless... 900 years more advanced that the primitive 23rd century holos.
This is up there with that thief that sprayed his face with lemon juice to fool the security cameras, because he heard that lemon juice should turn him invisible to cameras. Except in Discovery, the thief somehow actually becomes invisible.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Mabus wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:24 pm Blinking... seriously... blinking at a hologram causes it to deactivate itself... a 32th century hologram nonetheless... 900 years more advanced that the primitive 23rd century holos.
This is up there with that thief that sprayed his face with lemon juice to fool the security cameras, because he heard that lemon juice should turn him invisible to cameras. Except in Discovery, the thief somehow actually becomes invisible.
I think the idea is more like this:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3654164/alte ... ving_cars/
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

TGLS wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:02 pm
Mabus wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:24 pm Blinking... seriously... blinking at a hologram causes it to deactivate itself... a 32th century hologram nonetheless... 900 years more advanced that the primitive 23rd century holos.
I don't think it's a fair to compare very primitive current AI with nearly human 32nd century AI. Besides, given how often holos are used in the Federation, you'd think that this simple error would have been found centuries before. I mean, there are thousands of "blinkings" every day, regardless if it's from machinery, a display screen crashing, a defective light blinking randomly due to some error. Not to mention the 23rd century holo technology is very different from the later solid hologram technology. It would be like inducing a Windows 95 error to crash a Linux system.
After all, won't this "blinking" glitch be very useful whenever Picard and his crew experienced holographic malfunction? Or anyone else for that matter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhwwHE6oGmE
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Mabus wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:50 am
I don't think it's a fair to compare very primitive current AI with nearly human 32nd century AI. Besides, given how often holos are used in the Federation, you'd think that this simple error would have been found centuries before. I mean, there are thousands of "blinkings" every day, regardless if it's from machinery, a display screen crashing, a defective light blinking randomly due to some error. Not to mention the 23rd century holo technology is very different from the later solid hologram technology. It would be like inducing a Windows 95 error to crash a Linux system.
After all, won't this "blinking" glitch be very useful whenever Picard and his crew experienced holographic malfunction? Or anyone else for that matter?
Yeah, that was a bit head tilting for me as well, I do get the idea, and I could see this trick working on early Holograms, but these are Holograms with over 800 years of trial, error, and research and development behind them, it personally feels like something like this being picked up on and patched.

I like the scene overall, but I feel that it would have been better if the interrogation officer had deliberately turned the holograms off to have his one on one conversation, as he was fascinated with the Terrans to begin with.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Link8909 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:36 pm
Mabus wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:50 am
Yeah, that was a bit head tilting for me as well, I do get the idea, and I could see this trick working on early Holograms, but these are Holograms with over 800 years of trial, error, and research and development behind them, it personally feels like something like this being picked up on and patched.

I like the scene overall, but I feel that it would have been better if the interrogation officer had deliberately turned the holograms off to have his one on one conversation, as he was fascinated with the Terrans to begin with.
Definitely agreed. I sincerely hope that doesn't become a Chekov's Gun, because that would be a really stupid Chekov's Gun.

I feel like the bit with the holograms could, and should, have been cut. It added nothing and provided no character drama, other than letting Mirror Georgiou do Mirror Georgiou things.

The bit with her sparring with the human interrogator who specializes in Terrans was much more interesting, and makes me wonder what contacts the Prime and Mirror Universes have had after the end of the TNG/VOY/DS9 era, and the last contact 500 years before the arrival of the DISCO to the 32nd century.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

J!! wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:56 pmCould be worse, you could on the USS Kim, which has been destroyed and rebuilt so many times that Star Fleet's run out of letters.
Also, every USS Kim has been undergunned, with weak shielding, but has a stellar electronic warfare package.

The USS Kims are basically the successors to the Oberth class.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:34 pm Definitely agreed. I sincerely hope that doesn't become a Chekov's Gun, because that would be a really stupid Chekov's Gun.

I feel like the bit with the holograms could, and should, have been cut. It added nothing and provided no character drama, other than letting Mirror Georgiou do Mirror Georgiou things.

The bit with her sparring with the human interrogator who specializes in Terrans was much more interesting, and makes me wonder what contacts the Prime and Mirror Universes have had after the end of the TNG/VOY/DS9 era, and the last contact 500 years before the arrival of the DISCO to the 32nd century.
Indeed.

I also did some quick math and the last contact with the Mirror Universe would have happened around the 27th century, 2689 specifically, here are some events from that era:
Memory-Alpha wrote: 2664
The earliest date the microbrains of Velara III would consider for re-opening communications with the Federation. (TNG: "Home Soil")
2666 (circa)
In the middle of this century the scientist Kal Dano creates the Tox Uthat, a powerful device that can halt all nuclear fusion in a star. Fearing someone may steal it, he transports it to Risa in the 22nd century. Later, two Vorgon criminals, Ajur and Boratus, travel to the 24th century to find the Tox Uthat, where it is destroyed by Captain Picard. (TNG: "Captain's Holiday")
The Hundred Changelings were expected to return to the Great Link around this year. (DS9: "The Search, Part II")
At Captain Janeway's command, enough energy was supplied to the Nakan memorial to allow it to continue functioning until this year. (VOY: "Memorial")

And on a side note, the 26th century had the Battle of Procyon V, where the Federation and Xindi (with the USS Enterprise-J) defeat the invasion of the Sphere-Builders, and force them back into their own trans-dimensional realm, and in Star Trek Online (while being beta-material) had the Terran Empire (lead by Empress Leeta (yes that Leeta, it's time-travel shenanigans)) allied with the Sphere-Builders.

Also on a side note, I'm a dork.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Link8909 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:01 pmAnd on a side note, the 26th century had the Battle of Procyon V, where the Federation and Xindi (with the USS Enterprise-J) defeat the invasion of the Sphere-Builders, and force them back into their own trans-dimensional realm, and in Star Trek Online (while being beta-material) had the Terran Empire (lead by Empress Leeta (yes that Leeta, it's time-travel shenanigans)) allied with the Sphere-Builders.

Also on a side note, I'm a dork.
First - we're all dorks. We're posting about the finer details of Star Trek, and fretting over the details. You're in good company.

I've played STO also. I personally think the Romulan intro quest line is friggin' amazing, and the open world of New Romulus/Dewa III was pretty neat too. The Discovery missions had an awful framing device, but the content itself was pretty decent!

Unfortunately, STO is ran by Perfect World Entertainment, and as a result over the years has devolved into merely being a way to separate nerds from their money. The Dominion "expansion" was an embarassment, in particular. The fact that the paid T6 starships are objectively better than everything else helped kill PvP, the economy is outright broken...

In my opinion, of all the MMOs I've played, the brutal truth is that STO has taken the dubious honor of being "the worst 'AAA' MMO on the market." It has so many great and wonderful points, but they're all corrupted by free-to-play BS...exactly as some early members of the community predicted as soon as PWE took over the game.

I also think the crate system is particularly abusive - the game peppers you with crates, which you can open...if only you're willing to throw down some real money. There's no public odds of what you'll win, so it's literally gambling. If I wanted to play slots, I'd go to Vegas, not play a Star Trek game.