Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Scotty is comic relief in the original series. He was more to showcase an emotive character like Bones that wasn’t uptight half of the time.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

And in today's iteration of pretending you have experience with something you never experienced before:
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:47 pm Scotty is comic relief in the original series.
You've never watched TOS, have you?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Doohan's Scotty became a lot more comic relief in the movies, especially Search for Spock and after. His guest appearance in TNG too.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:16 pm Doohan's Scotty became a lot more comic relief in the movies, especially Search for Spock and after. His guest appearance in TNG too.
I would agree with you on the post Wrath of Khan movies and TNG. Two important things though.

1) His comic relief (ST5 character assassination aside) was of cracking the odd line here and there. ''Hello, computer!'' At no point did he reach Simon pegg ''running around like a fly with his bum on fire'' level.

2) He was still capable of poignant and emotive lines. "There comes a time when a man finds he can't fall in love again. He knows it's time to stop. I don't belong on your ship. I belong on this one. This was my home. This was where I had a purpose…" and "… Here's to ya', lads…"

This is a depressed and broken old man who has lost everyone and everything that gave his life meaning. Yeah, he says that his booze is green. Yeah, we get the ''No bloody A, B, C or D'' line. But we also have a man who can completely convey his negative emotional state to the viewer in just a few sentences. Even when he is leaving in the shuttle at the end there is still a twig of sadness in his voice, even if he is more hopeful. He hasn't ''Hollywooded'' his depression away.

This is what great writing with a great actor looks like.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Everything clearspira just said, but more than that, he was also just the most no-nonsense high-ranking officer on the ship during TOS who took command during dire situations and made the hard calls with a serious demeanor. This was not a joke character.

He was funny in the funny episodes.

But that was not his role on the show.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:56 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:47 pm Scotty is comic relief in the original series.
You've never watched TOS, have you?
If he's the precept for the likes Geordi and O'brien then sure. Starting a brawl to defend the honor of the Enterprise though is distinctly low brow compared to any of the main characters.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I still struggle seeing this SNW Kirk being the Kirk that we know. It's not just the looks but behavior. Its the same with this Spock as well.

So having this Scotty act the way he does, well par for course for me.

It should bring out how great the casting was for the Abramsverse crew.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:38 am I still struggle seeing this SNW Kirk being the Kirk that we know. It's not just the looks but behavior. Its the same with this Spock as well.

It's a real mixed bag.

Karl Urban is great as McCoy, he even sounds like him at times. Quinto is a reasonable Spock although he seems far less wise than Nimoy. Pine got the character by the third film.

Everyone else? I just don't see it. I already explained why I don't like Pegg. Zoe Saldana? Didn't buy her as Uhura either. Can you imagine Nichelle Nichols bickering in a shuttle about her love life? Yelchin, RIP, never quite mastered that accent. He was one of those people who seems to think that Chekov was "nuclear wessels" every god damn line. That bit when he couldn't even enter his access code was just cringe. Koenig was normally more restrained than that. The guy who played Sulu (forget his name) actually had the opposite problem. His accent wasn't heavy enough. Didn't really seem much like Takei either.

Less said about Khan and Carol Marcus the better. Yuck. Just yuck. All the way.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:21 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:38 am I still struggle seeing this SNW Kirk being the Kirk that we know. It's not just the looks but behavior. Its the same with this Spock as well.

It's a real mixed bag.

Karl Urban is great as McCoy, he even sounds like him at times. Quinto is a reasonable Spock although he seems far less wise than Nimoy. Pine got the character by the third film.

Everyone else? I just don't see it. I already explained why I don't like Pegg. Zoe Saldana? Didn't buy her as Uhura either. Can you imagine Nichelle Nichols bickering in a shuttle about her love life? Yelchin, RIP, never quite mastered that accent. He was one of those people who seems to think that Chekov was "nuclear wessels" every god damn line. That bit when he couldn't even enter his access code was just cringe. Koenig was normally more restrained than that. The guy who played Sulu (forget his name) actually had the opposite problem. His accent wasn't heavy enough. Didn't really seem much like Takei either.

Less said about Khan and Carol Marcus the better. Yuck. Just yuck. All the way.
I can buy in this SNW's version of Scotty more than their version of Spock. This Spock is practically having an emotional outburst or breakdown or plot driven reason each episode.

Nichelle Nichols really didn't do anything extra special to Uhura that made it truly unique that any other actress could not take and run with it.

If I recall didn't Yelchin base his accent off of actual family members? I think his excessive use of the V especially in his introduction using the intercom had everything to do with Abrams.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I remember seeing interviews that Yelchin could do a Russian accent easily because he'd been around it all his life, but because it had to be recognizable as Chekov and the voice Koenig used in TOS sounded absolutely nothing like a real Russian accent he didn't.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.