Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

Post by hammerofglass »

Tell us again how you're not a tanky?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:24 am Tell us again how you're not a tanky?
This is amusing, my question traditional Anti-Soviet somehow proves I must be a Tankie. Even though I've also made clear I actually prefer the Left SRs to even Lenin much less Stalin or Trotsky. To you people either Stalin is Jesus or Stalin is Satan, he can't be somewhere in-between.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:59 pm either Stalin is Jesus or Stalin is Satan, he can't be somewhere in-between.
It's things like this you say that, for a brief moment, seem reasonable enough to consider, but then come off completely unfounded once thinking about it. Nobody compares Stalin directly to Hitler, and he's much less showcased than Mussolini.
Power laces... alright.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:11 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:59 pm either Stalin is Jesus or Stalin is Satan, he can't be somewhere in-between.
It's things like this you say that, for a brief moment, seem reasonable enough to consider, but then come off completely unfounded once thinking about it. I've never heard anybody praise Stalin in political consideration.
So you've never actually interacted an actual Tankie, that's good to know.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:59 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:24 am Tell us again how you're not a tanky?
This is amusing, my question traditional Anti-Soviet somehow proves I must be a Tankie. Even though I've also made clear I actually prefer the Left SRs to even Lenin much less Stalin or Trotsky. To you people either Stalin is Jesus or Stalin is Satan, he can't be somewhere in-between.
What do you mean "you people"? There are folks from all over the political spectrum in this conversation.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:15 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:11 pm
It's things like this you say that, for a brief moment, seem reasonable enough to consider, but then come off completely unfounded once thinking about it. I've never heard anybody praise Stalin in political consideration.
So you've never actually interacted an actual Tankie, that's good to know.
There’s all sorts of people that will say all sorts of things. You can very well find people praising Hitler, so what’s your point?
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:46 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:59 pm
What do you mean "you people"? There are folks from all over the political spectrum in this conversation.
Everyone who isn't him or agreeing with him is "you people". You know, totalitarism. The thing he's quite clearly a fan of.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I've clarified my position on Stalin multiple times already but people "all over the political spectrum" keep insisting on misconstruing it.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:23 pm I've clarified my position on Stalin multiple times already but people "all over the political spectrum" keep insisting on misconstruing it.
Has it occured to you, that they may have a point and you have a blind-spot?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:08 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:23 pm I've clarified my position on Stalin multiple times already but people "all over the political spectrum" keep insisting on misconstruing it.
Has it occured to you, that they may have a point and you have a blind-spot?
No, you don't get to make excuse about simply accusing someone of believing the opposite of what they believe.